Author Topic: The Squirrels are very early this year...  (Read 3928 times)

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
The Squirrels are very early this year...
« on: May 12, 2018, 08:23:52 AM »

My mangoes are only about 3" long, completely green and I've already found several of them on the ground chewed up!! I've never seen them attack and chew up mangoes this green and immature before...not sure why they are attacking them this soon. Last year and prior years they waited till it was at least close to maturity about 2 weeks before they are starting to ripen not 6-8 weeks!!

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
Re: The Squirrels are very early this year...
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2018, 10:45:37 AM »
That's not cool!

Stock up a bird/squirrel feeder or 2 on the other side of your property, away from the mangoes. Keep it filled and hope they prefer seeds and nuts. Just replenished mine, as a squirrel was spotted hanging out near my mangoes and it made me uneasy to say the least.

I'm being nice to the cats that frequent my backyard, think they belong to the neighbors. Certainly seem to help. 

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 11:27:43 AM »
I had a nectarine tree one year with 15-20 small unripe
hard fruits. The damn squirrel took one bite out of every one of them and then
spit them on the ground. I got my son's 22 and killed about 8 in the next couple days.
That was several years ago. Now I shoot one or two a year and this past year I saw
one and it ran back across the street and hasn't come back. My road is filled with Oak
trees and tons of squirrels but none on my property.

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2018, 12:44:49 PM »
I wonder if temporarily coating them with a capsaicin-bearing compound (most will wash off) would teach them not to eat the fruit so that (at least the current generation) doesn't even try in the future.  Unlike birds, rodents definitely can taste capsaicin.  I recently used ghost pepper powder to flush out a mouse that was hiding behind some furniture and chewing on the wood.
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

Paquicuba

• United States, FL, Weston, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2018, 03:34:47 PM »
Same here. Those pesky critters started earlier than last year and they seem to prefer my Mallika tree so far, which is fruiting for the first time  >:(
I really don't know why because I have neighbors who love them and are constantly feeding them. So, that thing that placing feeders on the other side of the property is a myth (also I have mango trees all around my property  ::)
They just do it for the heck of it cuz I know for sure that they have their bellies full - it's just a game to see who can make the largest mango drop and then taste it to find out that it's not tasty after all when they are so hard and green. but, because it's fun they keep playing the same game over and over.

I'm currently working on setting up different layers of protection:

Being nice:

1. Bought this 5-Pound jar of Ground Cayenne Pepper Powder 40000 HU and I'm spreading it all around the trees and reapplying after a rain.
2. I'm placing three "Tomahawk - Squirrel, Rat, Muskrat Trap, Model 103" near the trees with peanut butter bait, so hopefully I'll catch them and relocate them.
3. I mixed the Cayenne Pepper with Petroleum Jelly and coated the trunk of the trees holding fruits.

Not so nice:

1. JT Eaton 902R Top Loader Bait Station on top of the tree with Farnam Just One Bite II Bars inside.

No so loud:

1. A slingshot - I grew up in a country where this simple weapon helps you survive, so I really really know how to use.

I ain't putting plastic boxes around my fruits, so let's see who wins this war.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 03:36:48 PM by Paquicuba »

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2018, 03:54:43 PM »
As previously posted many times, this works good for bushy tailed rodents needing to be quickly & safely airmailed to the arctic circle (I don't believe any of our forum members live there but please ask before sending surprise packages in the mail)
https://www.ruralking.com/squirrelinator-trap-only?gclid=Cj0KCQjwodrXBRCzARIsAIU59TLLF81PmDUmLkJC38_7sSBvcoizdsTigyXaa0otyLFh8fLyg8xdwVEaAhFIEALw_wcB
Also on amazon but I walked into Rural King & saw it & purchased it. If you have bird seed, nuts, etc. place a trail on both sides of trap doors & a large amount in middle of cage. Feed them (build it) & they will come...

Many rodent baits... but not as safe...

Most rodents have very high metabolic rates & very high demands for water/food. Do not leave the cage in sunshine in S. Florida for greater than 12 hours with a rodent inside as doing so will leave only one option.... and it is not catch & release....
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 04:45:52 PM by palmcity »

TREESNMORE

• USA Palm City FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2018, 09:12:44 PM »
I shoot them all year long. They go from the peaches to the star fruit to the nuts to mangos to lychees to avocados and every fruit I have .
Mike

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2018, 11:19:48 AM »

Ugh!!!! I KNOW, they are beyond horrible, at least I am not alone and with good company. It is just so very frustrating. They are all over in my neighborhood and they apparently breed worse than rabbits  :'(

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2018, 11:48:32 AM »
This is one Texas grower's solution for squirrel control.  He calls it his Pear Tree Chastity Belt.   ;D

DeeMango

• I can haz a mango?
    • US, St. Petersburg FL, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2018, 03:46:16 PM »
I have had them munch a 5 inch groove out of an unripe Mahachanok and then spit out the chewed up mango. Like you couldn't figure out with the first bite that it was sour? Stupid fluffy-tailed fruit rats.
Dee (I can haz a) Mango

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2018, 04:28:29 PM »
Guaranteed laughs. Squirrel tries to raid bird feeder
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgDa_cpgHWs

Thanks for the squirrelinator tip. I just might buy one. Amazon had it while your ranch king link show "out of stock"
Ebay reviews for squirrelinator
https://www.ebay.com/urw/Rugged-Ranch-Squirrelinator-Live-Squirrel-Trap-No-Basin-90003/product-reviews/1100202316

How do you kill the squirrels you trap with a squirrelinator? I am thinking maybe buy a small kiddie wading pool. Fill it 6 inches water and drown the cute little tree rats
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 04:33:42 PM by zands »

DeeMango

• I can haz a mango?
    • US, St. Petersburg FL, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2018, 07:16:22 PM »
Guaranteed laughs. Squirrel tries to raid bird feeder
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgDa_cpgHWs

Thanks for the squirrelinator tip. I just might buy one. Amazon had it while your ranch king link show "out of stock"
Ebay reviews for squirrelinator
https://www.ebay.com/urw/Rugged-Ranch-Squirrelinator-Live-Squirrel-Trap-No-Basin-90003/product-reviews/1100202316

How do you kill the squirrels you trap with a squirrelinator? I am thinking maybe buy a small kiddie wading pool. Fill it 6 inches water and drown the cute little tree rats

That would probably work. With smaller traps, I've heard that dropping them in rain barrels works well.
Dee (I can haz a) Mango

palmcity

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2018, 11:35:21 PM »
How do you kill the squirrels you trap with a squirrelinator?
Most rodents have very high metabolic rates & very high demands for water/food. Do not leave the cage in sunshine in S. Florida for greater than 12 hours with a rodent inside as doing so will leave only one option.... and it is not catch & release....

If you accidentally place it in sunshine with no tree shade for a day.... no options other than burial/cremation/etc.... It's dead...
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 11:41:37 PM by palmcity »

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2018, 12:13:14 AM »
If you accidentally place it in sunshine with no tree shade for a day.... no options other than burial/cremation/etc.... It's dead...

Boffo idea. As the expression goes, "Sunshine is the best disinfectant"

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2018, 10:35:46 AM »

Lol Mark, Love it!!

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2018, 11:19:31 AM »

So this morning I was under an Oak tree which is planted close to one of my  mango trees and I felt these things falling on me...I freaked thinking it was some kind of bug and quickly brushed it off my shoulder. When I looked up I saw a squirrel eating one of my small green mango above me like corn on the cob!! !!! I absolutely HATE them!!!

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2018, 11:48:40 AM »
Last year I started finding macadamia nuts that fell. I could see more on the tree but since it was late I figured to pick them in the morning

Come morning and I find fresh hulls and not a single nut anywhere .

They are getting close to ripening this year but I’m not waiting for morning again.

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2018, 12:06:28 PM »

WG, good luck!!!

paulmctigue

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2018, 09:25:43 AM »
I just trapped all the squirrels in my yard along with an opossum and a raccoon. It didn't take long. They are all happily living in a spot not to near my house! Non retuned so far... I think I'll do this every year before the harvest

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2018, 10:58:16 AM »
Hasn't got to the point where I would want to eradicate squirrels. Drowning and baking in the sun seems rough, has to be a nicer way. Definitely get mad when they are ruining fruit. We used to have a huge avocado tree, and squirrels would get to them before we were able to enjoy a single fruit. Will never know what those avocados tasted like, we chopped the tree. Quite a few dents in our car hoods from when we first moved in and didn't realize we were parking in the avocado-squirrel drop zone. Can see trapping and relocating if my squirrel food offerings are no longer sufficient to keep them away from our edibles.

palmcity

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2018, 12:10:22 PM »
Hasn't got to the point where I would want to eradicate squirrels. Can see trapping and relocating if my squirrel food offerings are no longer sufficient.
I like the Xfinity commercial with the ATT guy. A guy says to the Witch, I remember the time you gave Snow White an apple and said it was from the organic farmers market....
https://www.ispot.tv/ad/weyC/comcast-xfinity-fairytale-support-group-words-have-consequences
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMTWmqFBWBo

Google definitions: eradicate - verb destroy completely; put an end to.
"this disease has been eradicated from the world"

low odds of eradication of cockroaches, rats, mice, and other rodents... I would bet on all surviving after a nuclear bomb hitting a city... Breeding periods twice a year up to 9 offspring...

...Feed them and they will come...
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 05:29:31 PM by palmcity »