Author Topic: Bad experience with FHC  (Read 2648 times)

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
Bad experience with FHC
« on: May 23, 2018, 08:16:53 AM »
The first time I bought 'Junglesop' seeds from Forest House Cameroon, all the seeds had begun to sprout, when I received them. Since a friend of mine wanted them, I gave them to him and ordered again. Unfortunately the seeds were confiscated by the Indian Customs! So I ordered a third time. This time, instead of the 10 seeds ordered, I got 20 seeds! But none had sprouted! When they gave 10 for free, I smelled a rat. Not one seed sprouted even after 3 months and on checking found all of them rotted!! When I informed them, they replied that they check all seeds and do not sell unviable seeds!

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
Re: Bad experience with FHC
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 02:57:46 PM »
I have ordered from ForestHouse several times but it has probably been over a year since my last order.  I have found germination to be "uneven" -- sometimes very good, sometimes none.  However, to be fair, I have found this with many vendors on this forum.  I have also received bonus seeds from them at times, sometimes as many or more than I ordered as in your case.  Sometimes I had gotten very high germination on these with the bonus lots, sometimes zero, so I don't think the fact you got bonus seeds automatically constitutes "a rat". 

Were these seeds shipped over the winter?  If so, I suspect that they connected by way of Europe.  If mishandled during shipment (left on the tarmac between flights in freezing weather), you could both be right.  Perhaps he shipped viable seeds and you received unviable seeds due to mishandling in route.

I assume you were dealing with Wirsiy.  In the past, I have found him to be a reasonable guy.  In cases where there was no germination, he would often replace seeds in subsequent orders.  Don't take this to be that I am defending him or calling you a liar.  Sometimes people change, sometimes there are misunderstandings.  I would be interested in hearing the recent experiences of others to see if they are still a good source for African seeds.  I hope that they are since there are virtually no other sources at present for these central African forest species.

John

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 06:58:32 PM »
I order from them fairly frequently, and just received my latest order from Wirsiy at Forest House Cameroon two weeks ago.
I find them very good to deal with.  I have a USDA permit, so my seeds never get confiscated.

As for sprouting en route, yes, I have had that happen on several occasions, but that is certainly nothing that FHC can control.  Recalcitrant seeds are traveling half way round the world through a sometimes very "iffy" African postal system. I just throw those puppies in the dirt and jump back! I always order way more seeds than I need in case of low germination, then usually wind up with a dozen weird African trees that nobody in Idaho wants. :(

I do know that they personally sprout seeds from each batch to make sure they are good.
Recently they processed a special order for me, which took months.  They had to find growers for the vegetable plants I wanted, pay them to let the plants go to seed then harvest the seeds, travel to pick up the seeds, process them and ship them. Wirsiy planted his batch of seeds about two weeks before I did, and immediately notified me when he noticed that his germination rate was fairly low.  These were plants that the locals only grow from cuttings, and they had no experience growing them from seed, but my permit doesn't allow cuttings  :'(. I told him I was willing to take the risk. It isn't like buying from the local garden shop. And that was all for less than the price of two movie tickets and popcorn!  Can't beat that.

Plus, these folks are doing tremendous good by training young people to use their forests in a sustainable manner to help support their families, in an area where the logistics of getting these seeds sent out is affected by civil unrest, government shutdowns, power outages and wet season weather.

So I would say give them more chances, and remember that not everything to do with the shipment is under their control.

Carolyn

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 11:23:54 PM »
Thanks for sharing yr experiences and yr confidence in them.I will deal with them with an open mind.

buddy roo

• Spring Valley, Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2018, 11:18:35 AM »
if your first batch of seeds where already sprouting why would you not just pot them up with a big smile on your face????

Paraponera

• USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2018, 05:05:05 PM »
I order from them fairly frequently, and just received my latest order from Wirsiy at Forest House Cameroon two weeks ago.
I find them very good to deal with.  I have a USDA permit, so my seeds never get confiscated.

As for sprouting en route, yes, I have had that happen on several occasions, but that is certainly nothing that FHC can control.  Recalcitrant seeds are traveling half way round the world through a sometimes very "iffy" African postal system. I just throw those puppies in the dirt and jump back! I always order way more seeds than I need in case of low germination, then usually wind up with a dozen weird African trees that nobody in Idaho wants. :(

I do know that they personally sprout seeds from each batch to make sure they are good.
Recently they processed a special order for me, which took months.  They had to find growers for the vegetable plants I wanted, pay them to let the plants go to seed then harvest the seeds, travel to pick up the seeds, process them and ship them. Wirsiy planted his batch of seeds about two weeks before I did, and immediately notified me when he noticed that his germination rate was fairly low.  These were plants that the locals only grow from cuttings, and they had no experience growing them from seed, but my permit doesn't allow cuttings  :'(. I told him I was willing to take the risk. It isn't like buying from the local garden shop. And that was all for less than the price of two movie tickets and popcorn!  Can't beat that.

Plus, these folks are doing tremendous good by training young people to use their forests in a sustainable manner to help support their families, in an area where the logistics of getting these seeds sent out is affected by civil unrest, government shutdowns, power outages and wet season weather.

So I would say give them more chances, and remember that not everything to do with the shipment is under their control.

Carolyn

Well said!

I have only had good luck with them so far! I like that they are training people to utilize their forests. It sounds great. If it can bring them a continual source of money and is done sustainably then it is much more likely to be preserved.
"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better."

Albert Einstein

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2018, 08:54:04 AM »
With an open mind I ordered 'Junglesop' seeds again from them. They posted the seeds on July 29th and I got them today. I am sorry to say that the seeds were put in a thin plastic bag with some sawdust and knotted. The sawdust was bone dry and all the seeds had put out roots and the roots have shriveled, blackened and broken off !!! I am sure that it was a waste of money on my part and my opinion of them was correct! They seem to be a lousy seller and this is the last time I will buy anything from them!!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 01:51:39 AM by Chandramohan »

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2018, 01:54:36 AM »
Here is a photo of the seeds and packing!

Dane

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2018, 04:59:31 AM »
I purchased 10 junglesop seeds from them back in early June. I received around 20,and most of them had begun germinating. Prob around 5 had died.
I’m still happy with what I received. Mine were in small zip lock bags with slightly moist sawdust. I guess it’s it a bit of hit and miss with them.

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2018, 09:19:12 AM »
Lucky you.