Author Topic: Need help completing Squam Mango Order  (Read 1410 times)

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Need help completing Squam Mango Order
« on: May 29, 2018, 12:33:53 AM »
I am doing a custom Mango order of untried varieties with Squam soon and have room for a few more varieties to add.  These are some of the varieties that he has in season that I couldn't find much info on in the forum or net & that I've never had before.  Are there any here that are standouts of say "8" or above on this list?  Not a fan of overly "mild" or "one note" mangoes (Nam Doc). I prefer sweet, tart, complex & full flavored mangoes (Maillika/Carrie/Edward/Dot).  Thanks for any input.

Ah Ping
Dupuis Saigon
Hindi Bessenara
Mario
Peach (Different than Juicy Peach??)
Carabao
Simmonds
Torbert
Wester

I ruled out Falan, Florigon, Jean Ellen & Okrung as they didn't sound like exceptional varieties from what I read. 
Blessed be the man who plants a tree knowing he will never live to enjoy it's fruit or shade.

561MangoFanatic

• Loxahatchee, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Need help completing Squam Mango Order
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 01:52:54 AM »
I personally wouldn’t rule out Florigon..the Simmonds I recently had from Alex (Squam) was exceptional delicious & took me for a surprise after the first 2 I had already went bad..Simmonds I think falls into the sweet, tart, full flavored category but I was also told recently that Alex is considering top working due to disease problems. Haven’t had Hindi Bessenara, peach, torbet, Falan, okrung, or Wester. (Agree where you put Jean Ellen).
As for stand outs for me- Ah Ping, Dupuis Saigon, Simmonds, & Florigon. I liked the Carabao I had too but think it falls into the “mild/one note” Category
Sergio

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 06:29:50 AM »
I am doing a custom Mango order of untried varieties with Squam soon and have room for a few more varieties to add.  These are some of the varieties that he has in season that I couldn't find much info on in the forum or net & that I've never had before.  Are there any here that are standouts of say "8" or above on this list?  Not a fan of overly "mild" or "one note" mangoes (Nam Doc). I prefer sweet, tart, complex & full flavored mangoes (Maillika/Carrie/Edward/Dot).  Thanks for any input.

Ah Ping
Dupuis Saigon
Hindi Bessenara
Mario
Peach (Different than Juicy Peach??)
Carabao
Simmonds
Torbert
Wester

I ruled out Falan, Florigon, Jean Ellen & Okrung as they didn't sound like exceptional varieties from what I read.

Dupuis Saigon
Hindi Bessenara
Mario

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 07:10:20 AM »
Dupiis and the wester I have tried. Get more of the Dupius even though wester was well received

The dupius is a great mango imo.

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 07:26:42 AM »
Dupuis is great, slightly early season, but is vigor is crazy (VP like)

I really like Carabao, I think its more complex than most typical SE Asian varieties.
If you eat it when it still has some green on the skin, the bit of acidity rounds out the flavor nicely

Simmonds is great

I had a Jean Ellen earlier in the season and thought it was pretty good, enough to where I might add a graft to one of my trees

Don't remember if I tried any of the others

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk