Author Topic: Zill Mango must have  (Read 6959 times)

Elitebettas

• Florida
    • View Profile
Zill Mango must have
« on: June 30, 2018, 02:59:16 PM »
I went to Zill’s Mangoes in Boynton Beach. I tasted a variety named O-15. An unnamed variety of theirs.  It may be the best mango I’ve personally ever. tasted.  I’ve tasted a lot. Problem is, they only sell trees whole sale. Anyone know how I can acquire a tree or scion?

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Zill Mango must have
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2018, 04:26:49 PM »
Ohh boy. If it still has the experimental name (O-15), then it probably hasn't been released. And good luck getting Gary Zill to sell you budwood from an unreleased tree. I begged and pleaded for about a year to get budwood from a kent seedling that I really liked. Rather than selling me budwood, Gary Zill simply chopped the tree down, and as far as I know, it is forever lost. He is a budwood hoarder.

If the seed is polyembryonic, then you can do what I did in order to acquire orange sherbet while he was hoarding the budwood on that tree -- I simply planted the seed and grafted to a mature tree to coerce precocity. I was able to acquire a fruiting OS 3 - 4 years before release that way :-).

I went to Zill’s Mangoes in Boynton Beach. I tasted a variety named O-15. An unnamed variety of theirs.  It may be the best mango I’ve personally ever. tasted.  I’ve tasted a lot. Problem is, they only sell trees whole sale. Anyone know how I can acquire a tree or scion?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 04:28:27 PM by Cookie Monster »
Jeff  :-)

Aaron

• SWFL
    • View Profile
    • http://nofogroves.com/
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2018, 06:20:59 PM »
they're out there. I am not sure if they've been "officially" released though, maybe squam would know.

https://i.imgur.com/ssTOvRC.jpg
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 06:33:48 PM by Aaron »

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2018, 07:00:55 PM »
We’re growing O-15. Excellent mango.

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2018, 07:03:10 PM »
I was able to get one this week.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2018, 09:20:35 PM »
It's been released then?

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2018, 09:28:44 PM »
Seems so as it was on the spread sheet. Could possibly be a limited release as it's still not named. Not quite sure though

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2018, 09:38:35 PM »
I also bought an o 15 and I’m in cali 😀 heard it was just released with os.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2018, 10:16:17 PM »
OK. Dang, can anybody keep up with all these new releases?

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2018, 01:21:56 AM »
This is the list of new ones I received from my source (don’t ask - they requested anonymity)

Also released: (besides OS)
O-15
Nepelet
King sa
Dueserri
Mammou
MyrcAt
Send to Lon
Super Julie
Jehenher
M-4
Tara lay
Butterbcream

Please forgive spelling and I know buttercream and m-4 were released earlier. I don’t Think all of these are exclusive zill mangoes. I think this is simply a list of what the nursery had that was new

K

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2018, 09:07:38 AM »
Anonymity.  I love it!  What is "Send to Lon?"  Yes, correct your spelling, friend! Have you seen the Modify button?  I use it all the time.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 09:10:23 AM by johnb51 »
John

bigalxx15

• USA, Florida, Cooper City, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2018, 11:32:59 AM »
Here are a few of the new releases I purchased last week

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2018, 01:32:26 PM »

Alex,
What can you tell us about this O -15 as far as the fruit flavor profile, appearance, size, season, production,???

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2018, 03:16:11 PM »
Anonymity.  I love it!  What is "Send to Lon?"  Yes, correct your spelling, friend! Have you seen the Modify button?  I use it all the time.

Th spelling errors were from my source. I just copied and pasted. 😀

I heard it should be Sienta lone

Never heard of it ... but got it now.

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2018, 03:41:05 PM »

Th spelling errors were from my source. I just copied and pasted. 😀

I heard it should be Sienta lone

Never heard of it ... but got it now.

If I recall correctly, we propagated Seinta Lone here is SoCal with scions from dongeorgio.  The USDA lost their only Seinta Lone tree.  So it wasn't available from USDA selection 2 years ago.  Still waiting to try the fruit.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 03:42:45 PM by wslau »
Warren

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2018, 03:46:25 PM »

Alex,
What can you tell us about this O -15 as far as the fruit flavor profile, appearance, size, season, production,???

Alex had a previous post on O-15:
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=26658.msg308796#msg308796

His Tropicalacresfarms website also has a description:
Zill O-15 was a seedling of ‘Jakarta’ from the breeding program of Gary Zill in Boynton Beach, FL. It is a medium-sized mango, ovately shaped and turning yellow at maturity. The flesh is fiberless, yellow, and firm. The flavor excellent,is highly resinous, reminiscent of Jakarta but probably sweeter, belonging in the Indian/West Indian flavor class.
The original tree is productive, but the fruit tend to ripen in a very short span, only a couple weeks.
We topworked a tree into O-15 in 2017 for evaluation.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 03:55:58 PM by wslau »
Warren

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2018, 04:48:21 PM »
I have had a number of O-15 over the years (from both Gary's and Walter's trees).  I would describe flesh as more on the softer,  creamy side.  Not as soft as Carrie but definitely not firm.  I have would describe flavor all over the chart, from blah to incredible. Take away a select few and all O-15 fruit over the last two years has been water, bland and even off putting at times.

The shape is odd with the bottom having almost a distinct flat spot.

I would love to say its in the elite Zill grouping but I just cant.
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2018, 11:50:39 AM »
Hmm, a jakarta seedling (like Sunrise). Sounds promising.

561MangoFanatic

• Loxahatchee, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2018, 01:58:59 PM »

Tasted watered down but the parts that weren’t showed potential
Sergio

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2018, 03:19:00 PM »
Sorry, either its washed out or its not.  You wont have a fruit that is part washed out and part spot on...

If that is from Walter or Gary, I can pretty much guarantee its washed out and of bekow average taste.  Once you have a sample of an O-15 the way it should be (or can be...as I stated, even in good years I find the quality inconsistent), you will know why I say this.

- Rob

DeeMango

• I can haz a mango?
    • US, St. Petersburg FL, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2018, 03:28:41 PM »
Sorry, either its washed out or its not.  You wont have a fruit that is part washed out and part spot on...

If that is from Walter or Gary, I can pretty much guarantee its washed out and of bekow average taste.  Once you have a sample of an O-15 the way it should be (or can be...as I stated, even in good years I find the quality inconsistent), you will know why I say this.

I've had fruit that were washed out, yet they would have one spot where the flavor seemed to concentrate. And while even that spot wasn't at it's peak potential, you could tell that the fruit could be excellent. Just had this experience with a Coconut Cream this weekend. 2 weeks ago I had some amazing Coconut Cream. This weekend the one I tried - from a different region than the previous fruit- was washed out. Yet it had one small section of the fruit that seemed to have a higher concentration of flavor that reminded me how good they could taste.
Dee (I can haz a) Mango

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2018, 03:47:39 PM »
Brix will often concentrate in one location of the fruit -- usually the lowest spot with regards to gravity. On tree ripened fruit, the sweetest part will be the bottom. On fruit that's been ripened indoors, it will be the side of the fruit that's facing the counter. Same thing happens with other fruits, such as guava.

In general, this year was a "low" year for mango flavor. Fruit flavor varies from year to year based on climatic conditions. Mango brix has been lower across the board this year. I think it has to do with a) all the rain we had early and b) the lower than average temps we had throughout spring. Someone on the forum also attributed it to the overcast conditions during late spring.

Also, mango flavor can vary subtly based on the conditions during harvest. For example, a mango picked right after a big downpour will be slightly more bland than rain picked during a dry spell.

Lastly, the earliest fruits of a mango harvest will normally be bland. So, for example, if a tree bears fruit from June 1 to July 1, the fruit harvested towards the end of June will be much sweeter than those harvested in the first few days of June.

PS -- you can actually view these differences with the aid of a refractometer. One side of a fruit might have brix at 18, while another side has a brix of 15 - 16. Bit once you get above a certain brix level, the human tongue has a hard time distinguishing the brix differential. So this phenomenon is generally only noticed in fruits with low brix levels.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 03:54:25 PM by Cookie Monster »

Tiberivs

• Miami Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2018, 04:13:10 PM »
This is the list of new ones I received from my source (don’t ask - they requested anonymity)

Also released: (besides OS)
O-15
Nepelet
King sa
Dueserri
Mammou
MyrcAt
Send to Lon
Super Julie
Jehenher
M-4
Tara lay
Butterbcream

Please forgive spelling and I know buttercream and m-4 were released earlier. I don’t Think all of these are exclusive zill mangoes. I think this is simply a list of what the nursery had that was new

K

I think I had the sugarloaf variety that I bought from Excalibur. Very very good mango.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 05:52:37 AM by Tiberivs »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk