Author Topic: Best place to buy pineapple plants or slips  (Read 8223 times)

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Best place to buy pineapple plants or slips
« on: June 30, 2018, 03:05:17 PM »
Looking to get a few interesting varieties of pineapples. Who has good stock with good selection?  I know Adam has sold some before here but have not seen him post much (sent email with hope he has some)

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Best place to buy pineapple plants or slips
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2018, 03:36:49 PM »
There was a seller on ebay, from Ocala FL I believe who sold tissue cultured starters of Sugar Loaf, White Jade and something else.
I have not seen the post of late but I am sure someone on the forum knows and possibly bought some from this guy.

FamilyJ

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2018, 03:51:16 PM »
Looking to get a few interesting varieties of pineapples. Who has good stock with good selection?  I know Adam has sold some before here but have not seen him post much (sent email with hope he has some)
I would highly recommend to try the Kaui Sugarloaf pineapple, was the best i ever had. there is a thread on here also

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2018, 08:22:14 AM »
Bought "Kaui" white Sugarloaf and White Jade from Wellspring Gardens and a Florida ebayer.  If you need quantity then get an acct. with Agristarts.  I have one but no way to unload 200 plants.  https://www.agristarts.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/plants.main/typeID/54/index.htm

igrowmangos

• USA, East Central Florida, Plant Zone 9B
    • View Profile
    • Mango Tree Growers Of America (Facebook Page Admin)
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2018, 09:49:16 AM »
is that the same sugarloaf that is just simply labled as "sugarloaf" by local nurseries?
“When life gives you lemons, throw it back & say, “I said I wanted a MANGO!”

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2018, 06:06:52 PM »
is that the same sugarloaf that is just simply labled as "sugarloaf" by local nurseries?

Yes.  I guess adding "Kona" or "Kaui" makes it more cool.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2018, 07:18:46 PM »
Be careful where you buy your plants from. I know there are some differences from the different sources. Someone posted that their Sugarloaf was yellow fleshed, maybe there is a yellow Sugarloaf?

I bought white Sugarloaf from WellSpring gardens and their Whit Sugarloaf is different than Jude’s Kuai White Sugarloaf. The White Sugarloaf from WellSpring Gardens has spines on the sides of the leaves but Jude’s Does not.

I would recommend growing either White Jade or Kuai White Sugarloaf because of the lack of sharp serrations on the sides of the leaves. With the confusion in naming, I would recommend purchasing a fruit from Jude and then twisting the top for prolongation. That way you know for sure what you’re getting.

The Tops from store bought fruit is also a good way to grow excellent Pineapples. Usually it’s the MD2 variety which lacks serrations and grows well and in my yard they seem more cold tolerant than the white varieties.

Simon

FamilyJ

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2018, 07:43:23 PM »
Be careful where you buy your plants from. I know there are some differences from the different sources. Someone posted that their Sugarloaf was yellow fleshed, maybe there is a yellow Sugarloaf?

I bought white Sugarloaf from WellSpring gardens and their Whit Sugarloaf is different than Jude’s Kuai White Sugarloaf. The White Sugarloaf from WellSpring Gardens has spines on the sides of the leaves but Jude’s Does not.

I would recommend growing either White Jade or Kuai White Sugarloaf because of the lack of sharp serrations on the sides of the leaves. With the confusion in naming, I would recommend purchasing a fruit from Jude and then twisting the top for prolongation. That way you know for sure what you’re getting.

The Tops from store bought fruit is also a good way to grow excellent Pineapples. Usually it’s the MD2 variety which lacks serrations and grows well and in my yard they seem more cold tolerant than the white varieties.

Simon
100% agree with Simon love the Kaui Sugarloaf and growing that and 3 other kinds

FamilyJ

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2018, 07:46:18 PM »

Yes.  I guess adding "Kona" or "Kaui" makes it more cool.
The Kaui Sugarloaf has no thorns vs Kona and Kaui is sweeter IMO. also had a really high brix reading on the Kaui Spineless
Here is the website to see the Kaui for yourself
https://kauaisugarloaf.com/pages/about-pineapple

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2018, 03:55:07 PM »
60  bucks for a pineapple?  No thanks, I'll keep my spiny leaves and delicious store bought Golds I grow from fruit that cost less than 3 bucks. 

FamilyJ

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2018, 05:06:34 PM »
60  bucks for a pineapple?  No thanks, I'll keep my spiny leaves and delicious store bought Golds I grow from fruit that cost less than 3 bucks.

So 1st i like that got to taste fruit ASAP to ensure that i liked and then grow them out in the pictures, these are 3 varieties i am currently growing myself at different

Orly

• PALM BEACH, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2018, 05:14:20 PM »
$60 is pretty steep for a pineapple.  I try to go with what I can find locally, whether it's at a nursery or some store tops. 

FamilyJ

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2018, 05:18:31 PM »
Not saying the price is steep but then in a couple of years you can grow many from the tops what i am doing

baccarat0809

• Sunny Orlando, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2018, 08:23:42 PM »

Nothing better than free.  Over 60 pineapples growing all of them from twist-offs.  Started planting the twist-offs in March of 2017 and have had a 90% take rate just by putting them into the ground.

I have fertilized them a few times and they're under two large palm trees so they get a good amount of shade every day.  No signs yet of any flowers coming out but I have probably 4 or 5 plants that are bigger than the others that I think will produce this year for me.  Fingers crossed.

If not - nothing ventured nothing gained as they were free.

Orly

• PALM BEACH, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2018, 08:52:05 PM »

Nothing better than free.  Over 60 pineapples growing all of them from twist-offs.  Started planting the twist-offs in March of 2017 and have had a 90% take rate just by putting them into the ground.

I have fertilized them a few times and they're under two large palm trees so they get a good amount of shade every day.  No signs yet of any flowers coming out but I have probably 4 or 5 plants that are bigger than the others that I think will produce this year for me.  Fingers crossed.

If not - nothing ventured nothing gained as they were free.

What you using for fert?  I have on plant in particular that is huge yet no flower, not a grocery store top.  They all seem to flower at various times while being the same age.  One of my store tops flowered within 12 months.

baccarat0809

• Sunny Orlando, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2018, 09:09:06 PM »
I started using a granular slow release 6-4-6 store brand from Home Depot in the orange bag.  Bad mistake as the granules got stuck in the leaves where they attach to the plant and the leaves burned badly.  While that was fine provided i made sure i put the granules down only on the sand/dirt, when i broadcast them one day to speed things up - well, that didn't work well. 

Now, don't laugh, plain old miracle grow knock-off formula from Lowe's.  I put 2 of the small scoops into a 2 gallon watering can and fertilize every 2 weeks.  I use 6 gallons of water and 6 scoops of fertilizer in the bed now.  I'm attaching a picture from February to see what the difference is.  The ground they're in is just dead sand.  I had Gardenias in the bed that were sickly - just nothing going on with them.  As i started adding fertilizer around the pineapples the Gardenias bounced back enough for me to transplant them out of the bed that bed as I made the entire area a pineapple patch.

One thing to mention, those twist-offs will sometimes get serrated leaves.  Probably 10% of the leaves in the patch will rip you up big time if you're not careful.

FamilyJ

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2018, 10:22:39 PM »
This is the best Fertilizer for pineapples that i found

Orly

• PALM BEACH, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2018, 11:31:11 PM »
I might try that Foliage Pro.  I occasionally use my Banana Fuel on my pineapples but not sure if it's optimal for them.

As far as the granules go, yep, you gotta be careful with them or they'll burn whatever plant material they come in contact with.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 11:32:44 PM by Orly »

Evildeadguy

• Polk County, FL, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2018, 08:24:21 AM »
I started using a granular slow release 6-4-6 store brand from Home Depot in the orange bag.  Bad mistake as the granules got stuck in the leaves where they attach to the plant and the leaves burned badly.  While that was fine provided i made sure i put the granules down only on the sand/dirt, when i broadcast them one day to speed things up - well, that didn't work well. 

Now, don't laugh, plain old miracle grow knock-off formula from Lowe's.  I put 2 of the small scoops into a 2 gallon watering can and fertilize every 2 weeks.  I use 6 gallons of water and 6 scoops of fertilizer in the bed now.  I'm attaching a picture from February to see what the difference is.  The ground they're in is just dead sand.  I had Gardenias in the bed that were sickly - just nothing going on with them.  As i started adding fertilizer around the pineapples the Gardenias bounced back enough for me to transplant them out of the bed that bed as I made the entire area a pineapple patch.

One thing to mention, those twist-offs will sometimes get serrated leaves.  Probably 10% of the leaves in the patch will rip you up big time if you're not careful.

if you want huge great tasting pineapples try using a 30-10-10 + epsom salt  you will get really huge plants within one year than you force the pineapple plant to flower and 6 months later you have a huge pineapple that taste great....... and your Gardenias will love the 30-10-10 cause Gardenias are a acid loving plant as are pineapple plants.... just don't over do it photo below is of my red spanish pineapple plants at 12 months before being forced to flower

Pineapples i Grow: Natal Queen

Orly

• PALM BEACH, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2018, 08:55:59 AM »

if you want huge great tasting pineapples try using a 30-10-10 + epsom salt  you will get really huge plants within one year than you force the pineapple plant to flower and 6 months later you have a huge pineapple that taste great....... and your Gardenias will love the 30-10-10 cause Gardenias are a acid loving plant as are pineapple plants.... just don't over do it photo below is of my red spanish pineapple plants at 12 months before being forced to flower

I might need to force my largest plant to flower.

I see from your photo that they're container grown.  I might want to do the same.  Is there a minimum or recommended container size?  Do you keep them in container all the way through fruiting?
Do they need direct sunlight during the winter months.  Sunny spots are becoming less available in my yard.

Btw, I'd be interested in buying some slips if you got'em.  :)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 08:58:31 AM by Orly »

Evildeadguy

• Polk County, FL, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2018, 09:16:43 AM »

I might need to force my largest plant to flower.

I see from your photo that they're container grown.  I might want to do the same.  Is there a minimum or recommended container size?  Do you keep them in container all the way through fruiting?
Do they need direct sunlight during the winter months.  Sunny spots are becoming less available in my yard.

Btw, I'd be interested in buying some slips if you got'em.  :)
I grow all my pineapple plants in 7 gallon pots but you can grow them in 3 gallon pots just fine but I prefer 7 gallon pots I would grow in ground but I don't have the yard space for that and the landlord won't let me plant in the ground lol.... I will have more red Spanish pups soon once the pineapples turn ripe I will take them off the plant and I will let ya know...... Pineapple plants love full sun but can be grown just fine in partial shade long as it get part shade and some sun they will do great
Pineapples i Grow: Natal Queen

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2018, 10:17:03 AM »
This is the best Fertilizer for pineapples that i found

Been using it for decades.  I fertilize in the cup with enough to let it flow into the soil.  I mixed Peters 25-5-10 with some Foliage Pro yesterday in rainwater.  Pineapples like a high N, low P food with plenty of iron.   Can't beat this one either for value and an excellent NPK and micro package.  Pure, high quality salts that dissolve instantly.  https://www.amazon.com/77900-Performance-Fertilizer-25-5-15-25-Pound/dp/B008JSIKCU/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_0_1

One "problem" with Dyna-Gro is the limited shelf life.  The salts tend to precipitate out of solution.   Because of that I've gotten away from most liquid products.

Checked my White Sugarloaf and yes, the leaves are spiny.   White Jade leaves are smooth.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 10:20:13 AM by Mark in Texas »

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2018, 01:42:47 AM »
White Jade is my favorite. Just ate one that had a measured brix of 20 -- which is sort of off the charts for a pineapple.
Jeff  :-)

FamilyJ

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2018, 07:45:35 AM »
White Jade is my favorite. Just ate one that had a measured brix of 20 -- which is sort of off the charts for a pineapple.
Kaui Sugarloaf Pineapple was the by far the best with the highest brix for pineapple

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2018, 08:31:26 AM »
Kaui Sugarloaf Pineapple was the by far the best with the highest brix for pineapple

Sheesh, that will rot out your teeth.  Hate to pay your dental bills.   ;D