Author Topic: Best place to buy pineapple plants or slips  (Read 8220 times)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Best place to buy pineapple plants or slips
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2018, 08:58:37 AM »
White Jade is my favorite. Just ate one that had a measured brix of 20 -- which is sort of off the charts for a pineapple.
Kaui Sugarloaf Pineapple was the by far the best with the highest brix for pineapple

You still never responded to my post from the other pineapple thread:

Please describe the type of refractometer you have and how you did the testing.  I have had a number of the Kauai White Sugarloaf, including some in February of this year where they were not as sweet as those from summer months.  While I never tested them (I really could care less what a meter shows, its about actual taste),  that number seems a bit high.
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2018, 11:43:58 AM »
Yikes, that woiuld beat out even the sweetest mangoes in my orchard. I have a feeling that the brix is due to some sort of special growing conditions. I have Sugarloaf here, and brix has been lower than white jade... haven't tried this year.

White Jade is my favorite. Just ate one that had a measured brix of 20 -- which is sort of off the charts for a pineapple.
Kaui Sugarloaf Pineapple was the by far the best with the highest brix for pineapple

« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 11:46:12 AM by Cookie Monster »
Jeff  :-)

FamilyJ

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2018, 08:54:32 PM »

Please describe the type of refractometer you have and how you did the testing.  I have had a number of the Kauai White Sugarloaf, including some in February of this year where they were not as sweet as those from summer months.  While I never tested them (I really could care less what a meter shows, its about actual taste),  that number seems a bit high.
http://www.iv.ucdavis.edu/files/24488.pdf
That is the reference i used for the Refractometer to calibrate
This came from Hawaii so might have to ask jude her secret  8) 8)

FamilyJ

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2018, 08:55:28 PM »
Yikes, that woiuld beat out even the sweetest mangoes in my orchard. I have a feeling that the brix is due to some sort of special growing conditions. I have Sugarloaf here, and brix has been lower than white jade... haven't tried this year.

This is from Jude's that she sent over from Hawaii

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2018, 12:03:44 AM »
Cool article. I used it to check my brix meter for accuracy. Didn't realize 11 degrees of brix was 20 sugar packets in 1/2 liter of water. That means our mangoes are absolutely packed with sugar. No wonder I gain 10 pounds during the 2 months of mango season every year (fortunately it comes off pretty quickly in the fall).

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2018, 06:04:21 AM »

You didnt answer my question and obviously didnt read my post.  Par for the course with many comments...
- Rob

FamilyJ

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2018, 07:59:38 AM »

You didnt answer my question and obviously didnt read my post.  Par for the course with many comments...
So i guess i got to break it down barney style since you don't understand.
For being high you said you never tested so that really dumb question then? Just trying to down play everyone else on here?  but i guess that is who you are. As stated that this pineapple came from Jude and not you so what she did and you did. you must not know how to grow them right then maybe since you Did state you grow but not as sweet? Maybe might want to take some classes to ensure you know how to grow it good maybe? So you say you have a number of Kaui Sugarloaf but doesn't mean that you growing them right. as for the testing was done it was just get a piece and check the brix on it since it came in a package from Jude as stated before but not sure if you know how to read that? So top bottom or side to side wouldn't matter due to being shipped on sides. but again maybe you didnt know how to read that? Well since you also wanted to know about type, kinda dumb question if you ever read the article, but again i am going to be nice and break it down barney style so you can understand, this is a analog Refractometer. And also if you check the site it tells you how to ensure it is calibrated but then thats asking too much for a guy who just wants be told in barney style how things work in the real world

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2018, 09:13:56 AM »
Cool article. I used it to check my brix meter for accuracy. Didn't realize 11 degrees of brix was 20 sugar packets in 1/2 liter of water. That means our mangoes are absolutely packed with sugar. No wonder I gain 10 pounds during the 2 months of mango season every year (fortunately it comes off pretty quickly in the fall).

If you're type 2 diabetic fruits like grapes, mango, banana....are not good for you.  There is a myth that the fructose in fruits is mo betta than sucrose.  From what I can garner it is only the tad bit slower way it's metabilized.  You'll get fat of you over due it everyday.

so..........

Mas cerveza por favor con limon!

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2018, 10:07:33 AM »
The nice thing about fruit is that it doesn't cause a spike in blood sugar. I did an experiment on myself where I tested my blood sugar levels every 30 minutes after downing a smoothie consisting of the sweetest fruits I could find. My blood sugar levels stayed at 110 for the entire time. But I'm not sure if that's also true for diabetics.

It does have a lot of calories though :-). I've just gotten used to the fact that I put on 7 to 10 pounds of extra weight every summer, the result of going through 8 - 10 mangoes per day for weeks on end.

If you're type 2 diabetic fruits like grapes, mango, banana....are not good for you.  There is a myth that the fructose in fruits is mo betta than sucrose.  From what I can garner it is only the tad bit slower way it's metabilized.  You'll get fat of you over due it everyday.

so..........

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2018, 10:17:33 AM »
The nice thing about fruit is that it doesn't cause a spike in blood sugar. I did an experiment on myself where I tested my blood sugar levels every 30 minutes after downing a smoothie consisting of the sweetest fruits I could find. My blood sugar levels stayed at 110 for the entire time. But I'm not sure if that's also true for diabetics.

It does have a lot of calories though :-). I've just gotten used to the fact that I put on 7 to 10 pounds of extra weight every summer, the result of going through 8 - 10 mangoes per day for weeks on end.

so..........

For a diabestic, fruit does cause a spike  (my wife is diabetic so we have monitored) but as stated in some publications, the fiber in the fruit helps alleviate and balance out (not eliminate) the reaction from the sugar.  This is where eating the fruit is better than drinking fruit juice.
- Rob

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2018, 01:40:02 PM »

[/quote]

For a diabestic, fruit does cause a spike  (my wife is diabetic so we have monitored) but as stated in some publications, the fiber in the fruit helps alleviate and balance out (not eliminate) the reaction from the sugar.  This is where eating the fruit is better than drinking fruit juice.
[/quote]

As a medical professional, yes this is correct. The spike is smoother if that makes sense versus drinking like fruit juice with out the fiber. There is even a diabetic that has a mostly fruitarian diet that interest me as he logs his readings and it is pretty impressive the difference in subtle changes of fruit sugar eating fruit whole and eating regular carbohydrates or sugar.

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2018, 01:47:37 PM »

[/quote]

As a medical professional, yes this is correct. The spike is smoother if that makes sense versus drinking like fruit juice with out the fiber. There is even a diabetic that has a mostly fruitarian diet that interest me as he logs his readings and it is pretty impressive the difference in subtle changes of fruit sugar eating fruit whole and eating regular carbohydrates or sugar.
[/quote]Hi! Just a question, if the fruit juice is with vegetables the spike is on the same way? Thank's!

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2018, 02:19:36 PM »
The difference in glycemic index between fresh fruit and other sugars is significant. I tend to be highly sugar reactive and stay away from sweets and even processed carbs (ie, white rice) to avoid the crash that follows (headache, shakes, hunger, etc). However, I can plow through 8 - 10 mangoes a day for a 2 month period of time with no ill effect. The only issue I get is "melon belly," where my belly aches if I overdo it (ie, 5 mangoes in one go) without eating anything solid in between.

The other interesting aspect is that fresh fruit consumption doesn't really contribute to cavity development (unless the fruit is highly acidic). I can notice a very distinct difference in plaque build-up from eating sweets vs fresh fruit (the former contributes to plaque, but usually not the latter).

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2018, 11:21:35 PM »
"melon belly" lol never heard that one before. What exactly is melon belly? I usually only eat one to 3 mangoes in a day (hard to restrain sometimes lol)  and they are usually shared with wife, so guess have not eaten enough at once to get this melon belly.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2018, 11:41:13 PM »
I guess that's what the cool kids call it :-). It's a tummy ache after eating way too much fruit. Only alleviated by eating something solid.

"melon belly" lol never heard that one before. What exactly is melon belly? I usually only eat one to 3 mangoes in a day (hard to restrain sometimes lol)  and they are usually shared with wife, so guess have not eaten enough at once to get this melon belly.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2018, 12:07:12 AM »
I got the melon belly on the 4th.  We went and bought 50$ worth of mangos, lychee, banana, and rambutan then lounged around eating fruit and drinking beer yesterday afternoon.  Had to eat some chili dogs with cheese and avocado and tobasco for good measure to take care of the melon belly.  This was all to celebrate our independence of course...  :P
Brad Spaugh

beicadad

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2018, 01:14:05 AM »
Hi Brad, where did you buy the mango? We’re they good? Tnx

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2018, 01:28:19 AM »
Hi Brad, where did you buy the mango? We’re they good? Tnx

Yeah my favorite store mangos are the champaigne ataulfos.  They are extra sweet right now.  Lucky seafood has cases for 17$ in mira mesa.
Brad Spaugh

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2018, 09:13:11 AM »
"Pineapple Pleasure", our favorite mango so far from Tropical Acres mail order. Has a great pineapple taste, no fiber, sweet, big fruit with a lot of "meat". Wife made an unreal mango salsa with onion, jalapeno, lime juice, cilantro, pinch of cumin, dash of EVOO. Graft took of this variety.

I can see where my tree is gonna have to be damn stout to support this big fruit.

Rex Begonias

• USA, FL/Brevard, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2019, 05:14:00 PM »
Lol, I definitely had this “melon belly” a couple mornings ago, 3 mangoes on an empty stomach then later not sitting so well.  Definitely good to go about 30min to an hr after eating something solid later tho.  Thought I was sick at first, then realized maybe 3 mangoes on an empty stomach wasn’t the best idea.   

I guess that's what the cool kids call it :-). It's a tummy ache after eating way too much fruit. Only alleviated by eating something solid.

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2019, 06:28:45 PM »
why is the kaui white sugarloaf so expansive?  is it because harder to grow then other variety?  why doesn't commerciall grower grow them to drive down the price?

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2019, 06:38:22 PM »
They don’t ship well. It is too fragile and gets bruised very easily. They aren’t any more difficult to grow although they seem slightly more sensitive to the cold.

Simon

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2019, 06:46:58 PM »
Also most things from Hawaii are  way expensive that is why 'most' pineapples are grown in the 3rd world and while sugar used to be produced there Hawaii doesn't do that anymore.