Author Topic: When To Prune Mulberry Tree?  (Read 2481 times)

Fiddler

• Florida 9B
    • View Profile
When To Prune Mulberry Tree?
« on: July 04, 2018, 12:27:30 AM »
I'm planning to take a chainsaw to several bottom branches of my large mulberry tree so I can mow under it more easily. I usually prune this tree while it is dormant in winter to avoid all that milky, sticky white sap that gets all over everything if a limb is cut in summertime.
     However, I don't know if I'm patient enough to wait till winter. We've still got a long summer ahead of us here in Southwest Florida with many more lawn mowings yet to go.
     Will it hurt the tree to severely prune it now?

FamilyJ

• South Florida
    • View Profile
Re: When To Prune Mulberry Tree?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 07:40:24 AM »
I'm planning to take a chainsaw to several bottom branches of my large mulberry tree so I can mow under it more easily. I usually prune this tree while it is dormant in winter to avoid all that milky, sticky white sap that gets all over everything if a limb is cut in summertime.
     However, I don't know if I'm patient enough to wait till winter. We've still got a long summer ahead of us here in Southwest Florida with many more lawn mowings yet to go.

It wont hurt if pruned anytime of the year, have done it myself since it was really needing a trim

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2018, 08:54:09 AM »
It will probably trigger fruiting, so prune away. I cut mine down each time after it is done fruiting, and then the cycle starts all over again.

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2018, 12:34:23 PM »
It will probably trigger fruiting, so prune away. I cut mine down each time after it is done fruiting, and then the cycle starts all over again.

When you say "cutdown" do you have before and after pics? I have a tice mulberry that is a monster grower lol pruned the hell out of it last week, but may take her back a little more, just curious how far back they can be taken and still produce decent fruit the following season. They are pretty miraculous how fast they grow
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 05:08:42 PM by fisherking73 »

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2018, 02:48:24 PM »
I will try and post some pics, but not sure I have good before pics. Chopped mine down to about 7 or 8 feet tall, and probably 7 foot diameter or so. The idea is to keep the berries pickable. Too high is no good ime.

fisherking73

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2018, 03:16:17 PM »
I will try and post some pics, but not sure I have good before pics. Chopped mine down to about 7 or 8 feet tall, and probably 7 foot diameter or so. The idea is to keep the berries pickable. Too high is no good ime.

Some of my branches were and still are probably 30-40ft in the air straight up lol have not cared much cuz up does not take up much space in yard, but like you mention yeah it is not as easy to pick the fruit lol

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2018, 05:17:18 PM »
today (8- 9 ft?):

before, was getting taller and way bushier. have trimmed several times over the last 2.5 years

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2018, 05:31:32 PM »
I have never had them heal over larger cuts very successfully. Doesn’t seem to matter though, they rot out and go on growing and producing.

fisherking73

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2018, 06:10:34 PM »
today (8- 9 ft?):

before, was getting taller and way bushier. have trimmed several times over the last 2.5 years

What variety is it? Mine is about same age 2.5-3 years and have pruned it heavy each year and its a monster of a tree.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2018, 06:59:59 PM »
Fl everbearing

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2018, 12:50:13 AM »

Fisherking73 and I both probably have the regular large averaging about 1.5 inches long black mulberries. These trees grow very fast like he said and can become monsters until wind blows them over if not pruned or protected from wind.

Roblack says he has the everbearing mulberry. I can only say that I had one about 7-11 years ago that was much slower growing and would get lichen on it due to growing so slow.... The berries on the species of everbearing I had was about 1/4 the size of the larger black mulberry trees so I cut it down and mowed over the remainder. Yours Roblack is much bigger than mine and probably a newer type of everbearing as a larger tree size than my former puny tree.

Fiddler, if you have a tree like mine & Fisherking73 cut it anytime you want. If it is a slow growing everbearing as I had many years ago... slight trimming if you want to keep it. As Roblack mentioned, removing a lot of limbs and/or pulling all the leaves off existing limbs will cause a flush of new growth with the setting of new fruit if a lot of water is provided (rain  etc.) The everbearing will fruit better but a lot of times the bigger black mulberry trees will also fruit to a lesser extent for a second time if enough rain (or watering).

I prunned limbs after the spring crop ending after april 15th and with the rain the shoots have regrown the 6 foot plus distance almost once again touching some cable & power lines in one location. So over 6 foot in 2 months with a lot of rain.... I just cut them again today on that one tree to keep them away from the lines... This is faster than previous years as more rain... They usually slow in Aug. with less rain and the heat and the leaves start turning yellow and appearing close to being leafless and I am happy for that slow growth and I do not water mine as I hope they almost stop growing till the following Feb. growth spurt again & fruiting.   (The small 2nd crop you can get with the summer rains or watering is not as good tasting IMO as the normal spring crop, but it's not bad either).

« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 01:24:34 AM by palmcity »

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2018, 07:14:08 AM »

Fisherking73 and I both probably have the regular large averaging about 1.5 inches long black mulberries. These trees grow very fast like he said and can become monsters until wind blows them over if not pruned or protected from wind.

Roblack says he has the everbearing mulberry. I can only say that I had one about 7-11 years ago that was much slower growing and would get lichen on it due to growing so slow.... The berries on the species of everbearing I had was about 1/4 the size of the larger black mulberry trees so I cut it down and mowed over the remainder. Yours Roblack is much bigger than mine and probably a newer type of everbearing as a larger tree size than my former puny tree.

Fiddler, if you have a tree like mine & Fisherking73 cut it anytime you want. If it is a slow growing everbearing as I had many years ago... slight trimming if you want to keep it. As Roblack mentioned, removing a lot of limbs and/or pulling all the leaves off existing limbs will cause a flush of new growth with the setting of new fruit if a lot of water is provided (rain  etc.) The everbearing will fruit better but a lot of times the bigger black mulberry trees will also fruit to a lesser extent for a second time if enough rain (or watering).

I prunned limbs after the spring crop ending after april 15th and with the rain the shoots have regrown the 6 foot plus distance almost once again touching some cable & power lines in one location. So over 6 foot in 2 months with a lot of rain.... I just cut them again today on that one tree to keep them away from the lines... This is faster than previous years as more rain... They usually slow in Aug. with less rain and the heat and the leaves start turning yellow and appearing close to being leafless and I am happy for that slow growth and I do not water mine as I hope they almost stop growing till the following Feb. growth spurt again & fruiting.   (The small 2nd crop you can get with the summer rains or watering is not as good tasting IMO as the normal spring crop, but it's not bad either).

"Regular large ??  No such variety. As he posted, Fisherking has a Tice which is probably the most vigorous growing variety.  Way more vigorous than a Florida Everbearing.
- Rob

FamilyJ

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2018, 07:36:26 AM »

Here is a website you can use as a reference for now on when talking about mulberries to ensure right info even though they mismark there tree's https://toptropicals.com/cgi-bin/garden_catalog/cat.cgi?uid=Morus_hybrid its not all the Mulberries out there but it gives enough to use as a reference  ;)

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2018, 08:39:22 AM »
I've just planted a mulberry in a good full sun out of the way location with plenty of room. The intention is to bend a few well spaced long main branches down with weights to create a low spreading weeping form the first season. Every year afterwards one or two branches can be cut back further to replace the canopy over time.

FamilyJ

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2018, 08:46:51 AM »

"Regular large ??  No such variety. As he posted, Fisherking has a Tice which is probably the most vigorous growing variety.  Way more vigorous than a Florida Everbearing.
So Again things have to be said Barney Style for BSBullie, give him at least a reference vs just acting like you know everything but help nothing

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2018, 08:55:34 AM »

So Again things have to be said Barney Style for BSBullie, give him at least a reference vs just acting like you know everything but help nothing

Reference of what, FamilyJ (if you knew more, you wouldn't be posting any of the garbage coming from TT's website)?  I was stating a fact.  Its not my job to tell someone what they have, especially if I had nothing to do with that person's tree.  I do have personal knowledge of what tree fisher has...put that in your refractometer and test it.
- Rob