Author Topic: Black Soldier Fly Frass, Bokashi leachate, Tea for Fungal Diseases in Mangoes  (Read 1768 times)

Frog Valley Farm

• Messages have been disabled here
    • View Profile
When used regularly as a foliar spray solves all fungal problems, stops any insect problem and keeps squirrels, raccoons and other 4 legged creatures away from the fruit.  Wonderful for summer tomatoes here in Florida.  Black solder fly are not a vector for human pathogens.

Flies are not allowed to be used for USDA Organic Certification.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
ALL fungal problems?

Are you going to delete this post also like you did to all of your other posts?

Frog Valley Farm

• View Profile
All fungal problems on my 80 plus Mangoes in 36 varieties. There is a bacteria in the Black Soldier Fly Frass that eats fungus.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
I'd like to know more specific info. Sounds like the possibility of at least two different substances or a synergy at play, and how do we know if/which bacteria or some other substance is doing the work? There are many confounding factors in this beginning with soil and onward through too many variables to count. Still, I love to consider non-toxic DYI solutions.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Does it cure cancer too?
Jeff  :-)

baccarat0809

• Sunny Orlando, Florida
    • View Profile
Does it cure cancer too?

No - but I've found I have a great hair day everytime after releasing the flies.   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sarcasm aside, would love to know more about this if there's anything to it.

Frog Valley Farm

• View Profile
I do not think it works if you are using pesticide, herbicides and or fungicides and salt based synthetic fertilizers.  I have a large plumeria that has always had a horrible rust problem, usually by September all the leaves will have fallen offf.  I sprayed these plumeria twice this summer and have new growth and leaves without any rust.  Healthy soil biota Is probably key to having this work. I have noticed a diversified and unmowed perennial/annual grass and herbs, flowers and weeds fed withsmall amounts of Biodynamic compost and fresh manure and wood chips help.  Not mowing and adding biology to your orchard floor which stops water runoff which in Florida seems to be a major problem. :-)

Frog Valley Farm

• View Profile
I thought I would update this for the few Organic home gardeners and Organic Certified Farms.  I got the green light from my Organic certifier (this was the first time they heard of this) to use the Bokashi Black Soldier Fly leachate as a foliar Spray as long as it is used at least 120 days before harvest.  And Black soldier flies cannot be purposely farmed but must naturally occur in the Bokashi compost which in my case they do.

For the first time ever, this year I had a little powdery mildew on 3 mango trees.  I sprayed a few times with A Lactobacillus foliar Spray that has mostly worked.  Last year I sprayed every week for 6 months straight with Lactobacillus Spray and had zero fungal issues.  This year I thought I would switch it up and use Biodynamic compost tea and spray every week.  Maybe I started my spraying regime to late this year.  1 of the ingredients in my Biodynamic compost, which I make a large pile of every month is the Bokashi/black soldier fly Leachate.  Fire ants will not move into this Biodynamic finished compost and I get no powdery mildew in my vegetables grown in this compost.

The chemical fungicides used by industrial growers obviously don’t really cure the problem as Mangos I’ve recently purchased have clear signs of Anthracnose and Bacterial black spot. The OMRI approved fungicides cannot be used on certified organic crops without permission as they are highly poisonous, build up in soils and are extremely toxic to life. We will not use them.

The fermented bokashi/Black Soldier fly leachate is great.  Here are some of my observations.  In my case it instantly ripened Annonaceae fruits causing soft fruit without any sweetness, so don’t spray the Annonaceae.  It will cause tomatoes to ripen and be tasteless.  It will also kill Garcinias when young.  It does get rid of fire ants and repels plant animal and pest herbivores and works phenomenally well as an all natural environmentally safe biological fungicide on Mangos, does not affect ripening.  Composted a second time in a thermophillic Biodynamic Compost, the finished product in my observations is safe to use directly or as a compost tea.  This compost only needs to be used sparingly, 1/2” or less/ year unless you are growing vegetables then you can put a 3” layer the first year then add 1/2” thereafter or as needed.

I am not sure if the results could be replicated on farm systems that do not take a whole farm biodynamic/organic systems approach.  In my perfect world nature would have the same monetary budget to do test trials, give monetary donations to colleges write college curriculum on farming and the same budget for the promotion to package and push naturally healthy biological remedies as chemical companies do. Unfortunately nature has zero budget.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 06:58:25 AM by Frog Valley Farm »