Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Discussion

Mulberry and Lychee recommendations.

(1/5) > >>

Jackson:
I'm looking for suggestions on the best mulberry to grow in Zone 9b/10a.
These are the varieties I have seen mentioned on this forum.
Red/Black Pakistan (Shahtoot)?,  White Pakistan, Everbearing, Tice, ShangriLa.

If you could pick only two of these 3 varieties of Lychees - Brewster, Mauritius and HakIp, which would you choose? I already have a Sweetheart Lychee.

Thanks.

behlgarden:
Persian is the best

achetadomestica:
I don't think Persian mulberries like humidity?

I have 7 types of mulberries and each year one seems to shine,

I have a large leaf tree that gets as bis as an oak. I have heard it is Shangri La
but common names are very inconsistent. It has very juicy/messy large fruit that
are very good. I also found a tree on a corner of some guys property. It is also a
large tree but has smaller leaves. He said he bought it in Homestead and had an
unusual name for it. It also has large slightly sweeter fruit then the Shangri La.
I definitely wouldn't expect CA mulberries to perform or taste the same in Florida
I have heard allot of people rave bout the Black Pakistan mulberry and so far it
has tasted like crap in my yard? But the birds love it. The white shatoot is very very sweet
and I prefer to dehydrate the fruit. I also have a couple dwarf everbearing types.
I would try some fruit and if you like it most types root very easy from cuttings.
It seems like every time I stick 3 cuttings in the dirt 2 of them root

The lychees I would get the Hakip, because of the smaller seed. I have a type called ohia
I got from Fruitscapes and one of the selling points was it does better in 9b? Mine has not
fruited yet maybe next year?

bradflorida:
Hak Ip and Sweetheart are the same

Mauritius is a more Consistent bearer then the other varieties but the tree tends to grow a little larger

My three favorite varieties are sweetheart (aka hak ip, fay zee siu), emperor and kaimana

Brad

bsbullie:
Brewster tastes better to me than Mauritius.   It is very sweet without that acidic component Mauritius has.  It does have a perfumed rose scent which I like.  Main drawback is larger seed and flesh tends to not release from the seed as easy...

I am not sure I believe 100% that Sweetheart and Hak Ip are identical.  For instance, the Lychee Fruit Store, a commercial lychee and longan grove in Loxahatchee grows both and the two have some differences.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version