Author Topic: Making a trip to FL and looking to buy some Zill mango trees!  (Read 1377 times)

Tang Tonic

• US Virgin Islands
    • View Profile
Good day,

I am traveling up from St. Croix to South Florida for a brief visit . I plan on going to Excalibur nursery to get some other types of fruit trees but not sure if they have any of the new Zill mango varieties in stock.

I'm not really sure which ones I would be looking for because there are so many! If I could find coconut cream, E4 or Sugarloaf, Orange Sherbert, or any other Zill varieties, I would be stoked.

Down here we have tons of Julies, Kents, Carries, and Lemon Zest...you know, the usual.   I really want to bring some of the Zill varieties down here.

Any suggestions on where I could find these in the South Florida/Treasure Coast region would be much appreciated.

kc_moses

• Lake Worth, FL, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Making a trip to FL and looking to buy some Zill mango trees!
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 09:37:07 AM »
I called Excalibur 3 weeks ago and they have Coconut Cream, they don't have the actual mango for me to try though. I went to Truly Tropical and bought some Coconut Cream mango to try, Truly Tropical could have some tree for sell, but you should email them first.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 10:14:05 AM »
You are on the right track.

What are the requirements to import trees to St. Croix?

Have you considered budwood instead?

This is the first I've heard of LZ lumped in with "the usual" never mind outside the US.  Loads of them there is even more refreshing.  Curious as to how they produce, taste.

A few days ago Zills was loaded with fruit.  Orange Sherbet, Lemon Zest, Coconut Cream, Juliette, Julie and much more.  But Sugarloaf, M4, Fruit cocktail are done for the year.

Tang Tonic

• US Virgin Islands
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 10:27:25 AM »
No problems importing trees.  Maybe there are certain requirements but I am not aware of any.  I have shipped in plants through US Mail and also through Ocean Cargo and they all arrive no problem.

I should clarify, the Lemon Zest I have seen are in pots at one of the few nurseries.  I thought LZ has been around for awhile.  I am more interested in the recent offerings.   

I have considered budwood.  I have planted out several kidney mangos this year to establish rootsock.  I am new to grafting so I want to perfect my technique before importing budwood. 

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 12:34:13 PM »
No problems importing trees.  Maybe there are certain requirements but I am not aware of any.  I have shipped in plants through US Mail and also through Ocean Cargo and they all arrive no problem.

I should clarify, the Lemon Zest I have seen are in pots at one of the few nurseries.  I thought LZ has been around for awhile.  I am more interested in the recent offerings.   

I have considered budwood.  I have planted out several kidney mangos this year to establish rootsock.  I am new to grafting so I want to perfect my technique before importing budwood.

Good to hear LZ is being propagated in the islands. I too am new to the grafting scene and hence took trees across the Atlantic a few months ago, bareroot.  I do suggest checking local requirements, if any.  There are folks here who may have trees available for purchase.

Note while enthusiasm motivates it and many flow with it, it can also bring about pretty severe consequences In cases (new pests, diseases have devastated some islands).  I know Cayman allows actual soil imports with some constraints which is pretty risky but they manage it.

When do you fly?  Fruit supplies appear to be fading fast for what you seek so sooner would be better.

Weboh

• US, FL, St. Petersburg, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2018, 04:26:02 PM »
Fruitscapes might have what you're looking for. I know they have a ton of mangoes.

http://www.fruitscapesllc.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk