Author Topic: Retraction & Apology - Revised Score Kent Mango 7.5  (Read 6158 times)

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Retraction & Apology - Revised Score Kent Mango 7.5
« on: July 25, 2018, 03:40:42 PM »
What a difference a day makes!!  How any mango, even one that looks perfectly ripe and ready for consumption can go from bad to good is amazing.  In 36 hours the Kents I had on the counter went from flavorless water logged 2 lb door stops to a very respectable tasting mango for a commercial variety.  Was it great - no but it was certainly on a par with Keitt, Valencia Pride and other similar varieties.  Two days ago I couldn't have believed the Kent Mangos I was eating had the ability to taste good.  It also bears noting that with larger mangos sometimes it takes longer for them to come up to flavor even if the color and texture look right.  I have found that too be true with Glenn's also.  People often gripe that Glenn's can be watery which is true, but that will often correct itself by giving them an extra day or two on the kitchen counter. 

Kent is a very acceptable and good tasting satisfying Mango when you give them an extra day two past the time you think they look like or should be ready.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 05:27:25 PM by nighthawk0911@yahoo.com »
Blessed be the man who plants a tree knowing he will never live to enjoy it's fruit or shade.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
After had a few large perfectly ripened Kent's I can honestly say PIN is nuts for rating Kent top tier for flavor.  I have had dooryard Tommy Atkins that were better.  Kent is s big beautiful meaty mango with no flavor.  Keitt and VP for my money beat Kent hands down.

Kent can be a very delicious full flavor Florida mango. Another plus is that it arrives after the peak of the mango season. You got some washed out Kents or they were atypical. Try Kent in 10-14 days and they might be improved.

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Yes very washed out flavor - not watery like early Glenn sometimes.
Blessed be the man who plants a tree knowing he will never live to enjoy it's fruit or shade.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
After had a few large perfectly ripened Kent's I can honestly say PIN is nuts for rating Kent top tier for flavor.  I have had dooryard Tommy Atkins that were better.  Kent is s big beautiful meaty mango with no flavor.  Keitt and VP for my money beat Kent hands down.

Kent can be a very delicious full flavor Florida mango. Another plus is that it arrives after the peak of the mango season. You got some washed out Kents or they were atypical. Try Kent in 10-14 days and they might be improved.

The window to eat a Kent for optimal flavor is very small.  It quickly goes to jelly seed, rots and splits...and thats if it survives MBBS.
- Rob

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile

The window to eat a Kent for optimal flavor is very small.  It quickly goes to jelly seed, rots and splits...and thats if it survives MBBS.

The fruit was beautiful...no jelly seed.  Just a totally washed out flavor.  Actually they seemed to ripen from the outside in.  Soft outside...firm inside.

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
"Actually they seemed to ripen from the outside in.  Soft outside...firm inside."

That part I do agree with, at least the few I've had were like that.
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

cmichael258

• St. Pete, Florida
    • View Profile
I currently have a tree full of Kents that are as good, if not better, than
any other variety I have eaten.
Michael

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Kents can be richly flavored and great.  I've tasted them when they are.   Don't even mention them in the same breath as Tommy Atkins.
John

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Kent grown in a range of climates here is rated as poor. keitt is rated higher but certainly is no 4 or 5 star mango. Kent and Brooks have almost become 'bywords' for poor quality fruit.

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
Kents can be richly flavored and great.  I've tasted them when they are.   Don't even mention them in the same breath as Tommy Atkins.

Same here....... rich full complex taste.....old time Florida style

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
I agree that Kent can be excellent. I remember that the part near the skin often had a complex tutti frutti flavor that I went crazy for.

johnb51

• View Profile
I agree that Kent can be excellent. I remember that the part near the skin often had a complex tutti frutti flavor that I went crazy for.

So here is the question I've been seeking the answer to:  Which other mango, especially among the new varieties, has that rich, complex, "tutti frutti" flavor?
John

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden

So here is the question I've been seeking the answer to:  Which other mango, especially among the new varieties, has that rich, complex, "tutti frutti" flavor?

Of the newer ones, I can't think of a variety I've tasted that has that complete classic profile.
Harvest Moon and Fruit Punch are nice but they both have that slight Bombay type resin  (Harvest moon mostly near the skin)

I haven't tried a good Marlys (only an overripe one), maybe that might fit.

From parentage, Deloris and Nancy look like they'll work though flavor report hasn't been great.
I was able to get a Nancy tree so I'll let you know if it was worth it in a few years.

Not new but Bailey's Marvel is outstanding

johnb51

• View Profile
So Bailey's Marvel resembles Kent in flavor?  Any other of the older varieties?
John

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile

I know whereof I speak. I had a Kent tree planted 2008. I got tons of delish mangoes off it and had so many that I had to send them through my distribution system. This tree grew scary fast. The Kent beauty is that it ripens after most of the others.

This wonderful tree met its demise when the HOA gods demanded a blood sacrifice.....up front. Viking style.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 05:33:48 AM by zands »

bsbullie

• View Profile
So Bailey's Marvel resembles Kent in flavor?  Any other of the older varieties?

No, not really.
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile

Of the newer ones, I can't think of a variety I've tasted that has that complete classic profile.
Harvest Moon and Fruit Punch are nice but they both have that slight Bombay type resin  (Harvest moon mostly near the skin)

I haven't tried a good Marlys (only an overripe one), maybe that might fit.

From parentage, Deloris and Nancy look like they'll work though flavor report hasn't been great.
I was able to get a Nancy tree so I'll let you know if it was worth it in a few years.

Not new but Bailey's Marvel is outstanding

Deloris and Nancy are meh average at best (and I may be being kind).

Harvest Moon does not have any resin.  It is an extremely clean, almost milder basic mango flavor.  Looks great but for taste, a pass.

Fruit Punch can have a tutti fruiti flavor at the right stage...but that makes sense as its a Zill 80 seedling which is from a Kent.

Spirit of 76 can give that fruiti mango flavor.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 12:15:50 AM by bsbullie »
- Rob

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections

This wonderful tree met it's demise when the HOA gods demanded a blood sacrifice.....up front. Viking style.

Well, HOA board members do usually think they are gods, that's for sure.  That is why I will NEVER live under the reign of one.  You MUST CONFORM AND OBEY!!
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
Haha viking funeral! Awesome. Chris
-Chris

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
It would be interesting to see how many Floridian mango varieties would make the grade for export to SE Asia and what prices they would fetch. Considering the diversity and level of consumption there only the best would make it. I don't think Kent would pass muster in many places.

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
I just ate my last Harvest Moon that I grew. I like this mango. It is large but ripens evenly. It stays clean and sets a good amount of fruit in my fungus prone area. I would rate the flavor as very good, 4 out of 5.  I would recommend this to someone that wants a care-free mango tree. It was not precocious, it took 4 years to bear but, to be fair, the tree may have been set back by being grazed by a falling washintonia palm.  Quite a few people that I have shared fruit with have commented that the fruit are surprisingly good.  I have not eaten a Kent in many years so I cannot offer a comparison. I also ate a honey kiss this morning and I rate harvest moon's flavor above honey kiss.

Harvest Moon does not have any resin.  It is an extremely clean, almost milder basic mango flavor.  Looks great but for taste, a pass.
Brandon

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
It would be interesting to see how many Floridian mango varieties would make the grade for export to SE Asia and what prices they would fetch. Considering the diversity and level of consumption there only the best would make it. I don't think Kent would pass muster in many places.

Better yet send some well rounded tasters, Japanese and Koreans to South Florida during prime mango season. This will set their minds right as far as the inferior Aussie imports they have had to put up with. But then I  am not going to blame you in Oz for wanting some revenge for WW2.

MangoCountry

• Southeast Florida 10a/b
    • View Profile
They do have the king of all mangoes the Egg of the Sun, (ahem..Irwin). Now thats going to be a tough one to beat...

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
I assume that they taste amazing when you pay more for them.  Headline:

A pair of mangoes sells for record £1,760 in Japan

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Re: Retraction & Apology - Revised Score Kent Mango 7.5
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2018, 05:37:52 PM »
Kents when given an extra couple of days on the counter to flavor up are pretty good.  They went from basically non-edible to good in about 36 hours......amazing flavor transformation.