Author Topic: How do you label Choc Anon  (Read 979 times)

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
How do you label Choc Anon
« on: August 17, 2018, 12:07:50 PM »
My Choc Anon defied all labels this year.
It had a monster fruit set from 3 different flushes and still has fruits on the tree.
I was having choc anaon with Carrie early in the season.  My Keith and Beverly are coming off the tree and I still have Choc Anon.
Is this typical or an anomaly?

I know some of you don't like the fruit, I thought it was fantastic all year long.  Even early when most fruits were watered down.
Setting what you think about the fruit aside, my question is how long it has been producing.  From May and still with a few fruits on mid August.  Despite the squirrels and birds getting a cut.  Rabbits and Raccoons too.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
Re: How do you label Choc Anon
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 06:36:06 PM »
I too have fine marks for this variety this year. Last year i didn't pay much attention to it but this year it stood out. Same multiple crops and was easily as early as Carrie, far earlier than Mallika. There is still one fruit left hanging and it's mid August. The tree was so loaded at first branches drooped to the ground. I noticed several things
a- There is a slight fiber in them usually only noticeable when a knife is cutting through.
b- Fruits are not too big and with slight fiber they can fall and not a single bruise
c- Eating time is earlier than I expected, they tasted best when still hard to the touch and not yet yielding to the thumb.
Eating at that stage they have a delicate peachy taste without much acidity. Many of them I enjoyed after eating a stronger flavored variety and found the change very refreshing.
d- Hardly a single fruit spoiled, got anthracnose or even spotting, very clean fruit which held well after picking.
Relatively compact compared to many other trees on my property, equal in size to many considered dwarf.

I had considered manipulating bloom or pruning out of season to try for the elusive Christmas mango but think I'll just leave it.
Despite some saying Choc Anon being a novelty for collectors or something to grow only if you have extra space I'd recommend it for my area.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 07:43:45 PM »
I always like having Chocanan in my 3-gallon container of drops for lunch, along with 8 or 10 mother kinds.  I don't remember which spelling Maurice Kong says is correct.
Har

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 07:45:03 PM »
I did see quite a few with Mango Bacterial Black Spot (assumed).
Har