Author Topic: How to select Annona bud wood for grafting??  (Read 1434 times)

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
How to select Annona bud wood for grafting??
« on: November 23, 2018, 09:31:06 AM »
I’ve searched both here and YouTube, but I have not found any info on how to ‘select’ budwood from an existing tree and graft it onto another semi-mature existing tree. I have one very healthy custard apple tree that was grown from seed and it has the most sub-par taste out of all of my annonas. I want to graft one of my better tasting custard apples onto it

Mikey

• San Diego, ca
    • View Profile
Re: How to select Annona bud wood for grafting??
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2018, 09:28:02 PM »
I have been told to use hard wood so wood that is atleast a year and graft during the spring time to have a higher success rate.  Most of my budwood failed during the summer and fall graft due to fungus contamination.  Jf have recommend to dip budwood in a antifungle liquid called M-45 (Dithane). 

I have learn that winter and spring graft works good for me because there is little heat for the fungus when i did not try M-45.

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2018, 01:39:34 PM »
Ok, so my trees shed most if not all of their leaves during late winter. I assume when they start to push new growth is when I should be collecting scions??

Mikey

• San Diego, ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 02:47:59 AM »
In Florida, they usually graft dying Jan or feb.  Florida gets hotter than Southern California.  Southern California graft in March.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2018, 07:58:05 PM »
I have had much better luck with grafting cherimoya than other plants.
Wood selected from water sprouts ( shoots with almost vertical growth that pushed vigorously and hardened off) seemed to produce the best results.
I put them on branches that are starting to push coming out of dormancy.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk