Author Topic: Grafting in Humid Enviro  (Read 3596 times)

roboto212

• Pahoa, Hawaii
    • View Profile
Grafting in Humid Enviro
« on: October 24, 2012, 12:10:16 PM »
Ok so I live in Hawaii, on the jungle side of the the Big Island and its pretty much high humidity all the time. Now im wondering if bagging or wrapping the scion after making the graft is necessary out here, or if I can just leave the graft in a partly shaded area to heal. Would bagging be worthwhile here? I know ive had problems with scions rotting in the past and that has been why ive had low success.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Grafting in Humid Enviro
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 12:34:03 PM »
I was wondering the same thing about really humid areas such as where you are. Can you please do an experiment? Covering some and not others? It would be cool to see what happens.

What do you plan to graft? Fungicides seem to be very helpful with preventing some rot with budwood. You could try that as well.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 07:26:32 PM »
Hi,
I don't have experience grafting in the tropics like in your neck of the woods...Though, i reckon you should do as Mura suggested to covering some and not others...also try and cover some with parafilm. From the vids i have seen on grafting from Hawaii...they always used parafilm to wrap them scions ;)

Whip Grafts on Fruit Trees
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

roboto212

• Pahoa, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 12:14:01 AM »
I plan to graft : jackfruit, cempedak, avocado and mango... and yes I will conduct an experiment and post it on here once my rootstock are ready :)

I am curious about the fungicide, how do you use this in grafting? are the rootstock and scion cleaned with a fungicide?

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 12:31:35 AM »
I just did a bunch of grafts day before yesterday, I used the Parafilm on the scions of the grafts,  humidity is high, because we have had 2 days of rain thanks to Hurricane Sandy its still raining on and off as the bands sweep through..

The plants are not in the rain and are not bagged.   I really hope they take,  I thank Mike ( Benders ) for the wonderful scions.  I was thinking of bagging the first day, because it was sunny and relatively dry out, but after the rain started and humidity went up, I think its safer this way, I wouldn't want them to rot.

I also brought some Bare rooted trees, that I had to pug for shipping , I used the parafilm on the tips. not sure it this is a good idea for mango.   
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 01:21:09 AM »
I wrap my cleft and veneer grafts right to the top with kitchen (Glad/Saran) wrap (after parafilm on the surgery), and recommend it.  My environment is very humid too, but my laundry still dries outside so I wrap.  Must stop drying until the wound heals. 

Bagging the whole plant probably produces more mold problem than wrapping.  Alternatively, you could remove the bag earlier.

John (Fiji)
Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

Tropicdude

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 01:36:13 AM »
I wrap my cleft and veneer grafts right to the top with kitchen (Glad/Saran) wrap (after parafilm on the surgery), and recommend it.  My environment is very humid too, but my laundry still dries outside so I wrap.  Must stop drying until the wound heals. 

Bagging the whole plant probably produces more mold problem than wrapping.  Alternatively, you could remove the bag earlier.

John (Fiji)

I was just looking over all the graft posts, noticed some pictures you posted.   another said it was redundant to use parafilm AND plastic bag, makes sense,  I like the parafilm, I have only done 3 attempts at grafts previously, the one that had success was with Parafilm, the other I put plastic bags over.  I did like 8 on Monday, all parafilm ,  I am also experimented with using rubber bands on a couple of the thicker grafts.  I still need to improve on my cutting skills.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 07:19:31 AM »
Hi Josh,

Since you are going to graft some Avocadoes....I highly recommend the epicotyl grafting method ;) Very easy and high success rate 8)

I still have to experiment on Mangos and them Jacks, with the epi graft.
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.

roboto212

• Pahoa, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 12:44:07 PM »
yes jack I saw your video on epi grafting, inspired me to try this with a few different tropicals out here :)... I found this:

http://www.fruitipedia.com/Jack%20fruit.htm

says they do epi grafting on jackfruits in Konkan and get 50-90% success rate, which seems pretty good.

BENDERSGROVE

• BENDER'S TROPICAL GROVE
    • USA, Davie, FL 33331, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 01:11:48 PM »
I just did a bunch of grafts day before yesterday, I used the Parafilm on the scions of the grafts,  humidity is high, because we have had 2 days of rain thanks to Hurricane Sandy its still raining on and off as the bands sweep through..

The plants are not in the rain and are not bagged.   I really hope they take,  I thank Mike ( Benders ) for the wonderful scions.  I was thinking of bagging the first day, because it was sunny and relatively dry out, but after the rain started and humidity went up, I think its safer this way, I wouldn't want them to rot.

I also brought some Bare rooted trees, that I had to pug for shipping , I used the parafilm on the tips. not sure it this is a good idea for mango.
Hope you fared the storm well,saw that your country had some serious flooding,hope all is well! Mike

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2012, 01:28:18 PM »
yes jack I saw your video on epi grafting, inspired me to try this with a few different tropicals out here :)... I found this:

says they do epi grafting on jackfruits in Konkan and get 50-90% success rate, which seems pretty good.

Josh,
Happy i inspired you to do them epi's 8) Yeah, you should try with a few tropicals fruits 8) There is a bunch of tropicals that can be propagated with them epi's...Mountain apple, Durian, Campedak, Jackfruit, Mango, Mamey...etc

You should only grow the largest seeds for rootstocks, so that the epi's are successful. Small seeds don't have enough strength to heal the wound. With them mangoes...only use mono's for rootstock. Polyembryonic seeds don't have enough food to heal and callus the graft,  because the seed produces several shoots. Pollies are good for using as mature rootstocks...8months onwards :)

Epi's are quite popular in India...50-90% success rate, is pretty sweet 8)

Time is like a river.

Tropicdude

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2012, 09:24:57 PM »
Hope you fared the storm well,saw that your country had some serious flooding,hope all is well! Mike

Thanks Mike, yes tons of rain here, and had a few gusts too. noticed a few broken trees today. around town. still raining on and off tonight.
Looks like Sandy gonna get close to you guys up in Fla. so hopefullly you wont get too much rain.

Only tried two, that failed, but i know it was    my error, timing needs to be right, will try a lot more next season.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 09:27:20 PM by Tropicdude »
William

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk