Author Topic: Looking for Maya Nut/Ramon seeds or seedlings  (Read 5339 times)

Saltcayman

• Zone 13b TCI
    • View Profile
Looking for Maya Nut/Ramon seeds or seedlings
« on: December 31, 2012, 04:19:39 PM »
Is anyone growing this?  Looking for seeds with no luck.  thanks ,  Dave

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Maya Nut/Ramon seeds or seedlings
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 08:33:11 PM »
I can get you the seeds Dave , when in season . Don't remember when it is , they grow wild here . Since you will be ordering Mexican Garcinia , the Maya nut will be free...
Happy New Year
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

Saltcayman

• Zone 13b TCI
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 11:56:33 PM »
Thanks luc. That is very nice of you. Happy new year to you!  Dave

red durian

• Malaysia, Sabah, Tawau
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 08:25:13 PM »
I don't mean to discourage you from planting this species, but allow me to share my experience with this nut.  15 yrs ago I was  a wild food enthusiast on NE NA plants, eating as many as possible and trying to eat only wild on Wednesdays.  I moved to Belize and 4km into the mountains in the jungle started a farm.  This part of the jungle had many Ramon trees.  I sought to eat wild foods, and yet after 2 yrs in the jungle I couldn't find a way to make ramon seeds palatable.  They don't cook up soft and are difficult to digest.  The flavour is strong.  Artocarpus breadnut is far far superior.  That said, if you know of a novel way to prepare them, or some secret trick, I would love to know it.  So much of this resource went to waste and I had to farm beans for protein and wait for the Artocarpus breadnut.

Saltcayman

• Zone 13b TCI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 09:28:57 AM »
Thanks red durian. I appreciate Your first hand information. They may be more palatable roasted and ground as flour or used as a coffee substitute. Or simply used as fodder for animals. I am still intrigued by this tree, it's drought resistance and ability to produce edible biomass so I will give it a go. I did find some recipes online which involved mixing the nut flour with wheat or corn flour...  Best, dave

red durian

• Malaysia, Sabah, Tawau
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 05:07:18 AM »
I had some friends who ground Atrocarpus breadnut with the grinder loose to make something the size of cornmeal on the first pass through a hand grinder.  They then mixed that with coconut milk and cooked it up like porridge.  I think I tried the same with ramon but found it too strong tasting.

Saltcayman

• Zone 13b TCI
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 05:41:47 PM »
Thanks. I have a small bread nut and will try it when it eventually bears:)

MayaNut

• Colorado
    • View Profile
    • Maya Nut Institute
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 11:11:42 AM »
Hi Ramon fans! We call it Maya Nut and work exclusively with the species to return it to the menu in the neotropics and eventually the US, Canada and Europe. Maya Nut is one of the most delicious foods you can eat, but you need to know how to cook it! The raw seeds should be boiled with ash or lime (Calcium carbonate) for at least 2 hours to get rid of the bitter taste. When they are ready they are soft and have the flavor of buttered potatoes, absolutely delicious. the other way to prepare them is to sun dry them for up to 30 days to 10-12% moisture, then roast them and grind into a powder. they taste like chocolate when prepared this way. Must be ground to be eaten. We can get seeds to you in the US from the Montgomery Botanical Center in Florida (near Miami) if you are in the US.

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 07:25:12 PM »
Hi MayaNut,

That sounds delicious the way you describe it. I have also heard that it's a super nutritious nut. What I find amazing is that "Once dried, Maya Nut can be stored for more than 5 years with no adverse effect on its flavor, aroma, nutrition or appearance." [www.mayanutinstitute.org]. I was hoping to get harvest from the ramon trees I had growing in deep pots. About 6-8 ft taller and 6 years later still no flowers. Yes, I know those are huge trees but it was an experiment because I had never heard about anyone trying that before.

Tomas

Saltcayman

• Zone 13b TCI
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 04:41:12 AM »
Thanks mayanut. I would love some seeds. What do I need to do?  Shipping to nj but I will eventually plant them out in the TCI. Best,   Dave

Hi Ramon fans! We call it Maya Nut and work exclusively with the species to return it to the menu in the neotropics and eventually the US, Canada and Europe. Maya Nut is one of the most delicious foods you can eat, but you need to know how to cook it! The raw seeds should be boiled with ash or lime (Calcium carbonate) for at least 2 hours to get rid of the bitter taste. When they are ready they are soft and have the flavor of buttered potatoes, absolutely delicious. the other way to prepare them is to sun dry them for up to 30 days to 10-12% moisture, then roast them and grind into a powder. they taste like chocolate when prepared this way. Must be ground to be eaten. We can get seeds to you in the US from the Montgomery Botanical Center in Florida (near Miami) if you are in the US.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk