Author Topic: unknown Cherimoyas needing IDs - please help (updated 3/19/12)  (Read 5340 times)

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
Here are some of the cherimoyas I'm lucky enough to eat while in season.  Unfortunately, I can only identify less than a handful and not all of identified cultivars are pictured.  Can others familiar with annonas, especially Cherimoyas, help put a name on these unknowns?  I consider fruit taste description on hints, notes, under & over tones of anything other than the fruit itself to be an art on top of very well developed palettes.  Unfortunately I don't think I have either but will try my best to describe how these taste so bear with me.

#1 - not too sweet, compared to others here I'd say it's bland and washed out taste.  (35 seeds collected)

#2 - sweet, slightly acidic but not as rich and creamy as #5.  Light, refreshing, good eat.   (25 seeds collected)

#3 - thin downy skin, very sweet, firm chewy flesh is light pink in color.  Very good cherimoya but short shelf life, must not allow overripe or the flesh near the skin turns a darker shade of pink, hardens up, loses flavor and becomes unenjoyable.  Sadly, I always seem to let several of these sit longer than needed, much of the outer flesh had to be removed and thrown away.  Originally I thought this was Selma from several online pictures of the flesh, but none of which are close to half the size of the ones I got, and much more seeds than mine as well.  (26 seeds collected -only half the seeds were collected, will have more soon)

#4 - Yet to be eaten...

#5 - if you like tart fruits and like cherimoya, this is it for you - thick skin that could be peeled like a mango, lots of acidity, sweet, rich & creamy, very complex in flavor.  I believe this variety is Chaffey(59 seeds collected)

#6 - Yet to be eaten... both of these came from the same tree but may have been multi-grafted, hence the slight difference in appearances.  Also one of the #6's (fruit on the right) turned out to be a dud because it didn't have the citrus & pineapple undertones I noticed from previous tasting.  We'll see how the fruit on the left turns out.

#7 - larger fruit on the right.  As it turns out, both fruits in the picture are of the same kind.  Very good eat, though I let them sit too long.  I don't have a scale to weigh it, I'm also terrible at guestimating weight so we'll never know how heavy.  But for size, it's sitting on a normal sheet of 8.5'x11' paper.

#8 - not quite as large on the left.  Sweet, little acidity & juicy.  Skin so thin, you could peel it like a peach though thinner and even more delicate.  Does not have an intense or complex cherimoya flavor but very pleasant & easy eating.  My 1.5yr old ate 1/4 of this fruit for dinner last night. (40 seeds collected)

#7 cut open

#8 cut open

#9 - Yet to be eaten -

Whaley - a very light subacid, very sweet cherimoya that's complex in flavor.  Flesh firmer than most other varieties as you can probably tell from the opened fruit.  These two fruits were picked from the same branch of the same tree, yet one looking much smoother than the other.  Could this be a result of cross pollination?  Either way, they tasted exactly the same, EXCELLENT.  The fruits were eaten 1.5 month ago so all seeds got misplaced somewhere somehow...

Misc - all the runts in a miscellaneous pile, they're all pretty darn good, bite size too  ;D (20 something seeds so far)

I will update #4, 6, 7 & 9 as they come along.  All seeds are available FREE-for-Postage, first come first serve.  "Future" is actually first in line but there should be enough for many.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 01:09:49 AM by Tim »
Tim

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
Re: unknown Cherimoyas needing IDs - please help
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 02:11:53 PM »
What a feast!!

The problem in identifying chirimoya cultivars is that the size and shape of the fruit can vary a lot depending from different factors, for example pollination. Because I do not pollinate my Fino de Jete trees, the fruit comes in all kind of shapes..

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 12:08:45 AM »
What a feast!!

The problem in identifying chirimoya cultivars is that the size and shape of the fruit can vary a lot depending from different factors, for example pollination. Because I do not pollinate my Fino de Jete trees, the fruit comes in all kind of shapes..

Felipe is right. They come in all shape and sizes # 3 with smooth skin looks like a booth and the #7 a White maybe??

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 09:10:45 AM »
Believe it or not, this pictures are from the same Fino de Jete tree, taken the same day:

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 10:55:36 AM »
Yes, identification of potentially cross pollinated cherimoyas is extremely difficult.  Just wanted to see if anyone is familiar with at least one of these babies :-\

Joe:  you've got two strikes on you, buddy  ;D
#3 is definitely not Booth.  The pictures taken with my phone under artificial lights don't really do justice, but in my description you can tell it's not Booth - both on taste & appearance.  If overripe, it'd look exactly like this picture taken by Axel from cloudforest.
#7 is not White.  Several things I noticed from White that aren't present, or at least not as pronounced, on #7 (a)younger Whites have fine brown hair all over the fruit though hardly seen on fully matured fruits (b)White's skin is thicker (c)protuberances on Whites are more pronounced, giving it more of that rugged look especially with its darker skin(#7 is really pale light green & thin).  Depending on how ripe White is, its inside looks an almost perfect shade of white.  As far as taste, #7 is a bit more acidic as well. 

Here's the typical look of a White
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 04:28:06 PM by Tim »
Tim

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
Re: unknown Cherimoyas needing IDs - please help (updated 3/19/12)
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 05:41:07 PM »
Can't help much, actually not at all, with ID.  However, I can tell you which of the fruits you sent me was my favorite.  I apparently, unknowingly, saved the best IMO, for last.  Here is the one I thought had the best overall flavor/sweetness.

There were two of these.  The first one just blew me away with the flavor.  I can''t say that it tasted like any other fruit, but the fruity sweet taste, and creamy flesh was really, really good.  The bad news......too many seeds.  I counted 50 seeds in the first of these and 60 in the second.  And, eventhough there were too many seeds, I would eat this fruit in a heartbeat anyday of the week. Any idea which culitvar it is??? If it could be grown somewhere where it did not cross pollinate and therefore make less seeds, this would be one of my all time most favorite fruits I have ever eaten....bar none!

Harry

Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 08:26:43 PM »
Yes, identification of potentially cross pollinated cherimoyas is extremely difficult.  Just wanted to see if anyone is familiar with at least one of these babies :-\

Joe:  you've got two strikes on you, buddy  ;D
#3 is definitely not Booth.  The pictures taken with my phone under artificial lights don't really do justice, but in my description you can tell it's not Booth - both on taste & appearance.  If overripe, it'd look exactly like this picture taken by Axel from cloudforest.
#7 is not White.  Several things I noticed from White that aren't present, or at least not as pronounced, on #7 (a)younger Whites have fine brown hair all over the fruit though hardly seen on fully matured fruits (b)White's skin is thicker (c)protuberances on Whites are more pronounced, giving it more of that rugged look especially with its darker skin(#7 is really pale light green & thin).  Depending on how ripe White is, its inside looks an almost perfect shade of white.  As far as taste, #7 is a bit more acidic as well. 

Here's the typical look of a White

Sorry Tim I meant #2 not #3 and here is a pic of a White I did not find it acidic at all,

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 08:54:15 PM »
Joe - yup yup, that's the rugged look of the White.  White is a good cherimoya but being pro tart fruits, my wife doesn't like it that much compared to other varieties.  As for me, I don't complain ... just eat  ;D

Harry - so did you find that orgasmic experience you're looking for or did the seeds hold you back?  Unfortunately, I do not know which cultivar it is but sure as h*ll will be spending hours looking for it.  You got both fruits I picked that day so I'm not entirely sure what/how they taste.  Now you've got me really curious....
Tim

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 10:40:00 PM »
Wonderful thread--- has me salivating.

Harry,
If it had fewer seeds, it might not taste as good.  Seeds are thought to exude growth regulators that affect the surrounding pulp, including intensifying flavor.
Although some seedless watermelons seem about as good as seedy ones, seedless sugar-apples are definitely not as tasty as seedy ones.
Har

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 11:02:03 PM »

Harry,
If it had fewer seeds, it might not taste as good.  Seeds are thought to exude growth regulators that affect the surrounding pulp, including intensifying flavor.
Although some seedless watermelons seem about as good as seedy ones, seedless sugar-apples are definitely not as tasty as seedy ones.

Sorry for derailing this thread but I completely agree with you Har. I love seedless watermelons and I don't understand why so many people hate on seedless watermelons, saying that they are nothing compared to the ones with seeds.

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 11:07:17 PM »

Harry,

Sorry for derailing this thread but I completely agree with you Har. I love seedless watermelons and I don't understand why so many people hate on seedless watermelons, saying that they are nothing compared to the ones with seeds.

I seem to get a good seedless watermelon every once in a while, but some are close to unedible. The seeded ones seem much more consistanly good. I have grown quite a few up here in the past. There are some orange fleshed types that are really amazing.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 11:46:51 PM »

I seem to get a good seedless watermelon every once in a while, but some are close to unedible. The seeded ones seem much more consistanly good. I have grown quite a few up here in the past. There are some orange fleshed types that are really amazing.
[/quote]

The orange fleshed type that is amazingly good is called Orangeglo. I used to grow watermelons for local market in Del Mar, California, and that was one of my favorite types! Has very thin rind, so not good for long transportation, only for localmarkets. About seededless watermelons, don't get me started! I haven't tasted one that was better than mediocre. But then again most of the modern varieties, even the ones with small seeds, aren't nearly as good as the older cultivars of watermelons, like Black Diamond, Charleston Gray, and heirloom types like Moon and Stars. Nowadays commercial growers are focused on small watermelon, or the solo watermelon that you can easily stick in your fridge, not the 30-40 pounders. Also they want super thick rind, so they don't crack easily, and tiny or no seeds. The very last consideration is taste. So quality of watermelons has gone steadily down hill.
Oscar
Oscar

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2012, 06:47:53 PM »
Seeds received with many many thanks!!

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2012, 03:34:28 PM »
No problem, hope you have great success with them.

Seeds received with many many thanks!!
Tim

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk