Author Topic: Eugenia Article/Presentation  (Read 12494 times)

TriangleJohn

• View Profile
Re: Eugenia Article/Presentation
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2013, 08:34:01 PM »
Keep in mind there are always rule breakers in the plant world. There are some flowering (non-fruiting) plants used as bedding plants here in zone 7 North Carolina that come from tropical spots on the globe yet can handle our weather. It turns out that they have a genetic link to a non-tropical region. Lepechinia hastata is a sage relative that comes from Hawaii but its ancestors came from southern South America and it is winter hardy. Our local botanic garden has a Dianella species they collected in the jungles of Thailand that grows just fine here though it refuses to bloom.

Fabio

• Croatia, Istra USDA 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2017, 04:19:38 PM »
Does anyone known more of Eugenia Uniflora var. dasyblasta? , I read that  Eugenia uniflora var. Dasyblasta (I'm not sure that this is the name), is a variety of native cherry in cold regions in southern Brazil, which tolerates more than -10 ° C. It produces fruit only once a year, but a larger amount of fruits. Its fruits are smaller, but much sweeter than the native variety of hot regions.

Solko

• Zone 8b-9a
    • Europe
    • View Profile
    • Visual Art
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2017, 09:27:18 AM »
Hi Fabio, could you send me the links to that original article?
It sounds very interesting and I have seen from my own experience that different cultivars of E. Uniflora handle the cold quite differently. I would welcome any information about cultivars or species that are more cold-hardy. I have heard of this E. Dasyblastha as well. I am not sure of it being a new subspecies or just another variety being more cold hardy. But any new information (or seeds  ;D) is very welcome.
E. Uniflora has an incredible potential to come back after freezes, the only thing to figure out in the European climate - as far as I consider - is not so much the resilience after a hard freeze, -say the number of degrees below zero (-7 or -15), but the resilience after repeated freezes of -5, over days and days, with the temperature not rising above 0 for a week or more.

Miguel.pt

• Portugal, Northwest, climate 9a/9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2017, 03:32:17 PM »
Does anyone known more of Eugenia Uniflora var. dasyblasta? , I read that  Eugenia uniflora var. Dasyblasta (I'm not sure that this is the name), is a variety of native cherry in cold regions in southern Brazil, which tolerates more than -10 ° C. It produces fruit only once a year, but a larger amount of fruits. Its fruits are smaller, but much sweeter than the native variety of hot regions.

Hello Fabio and welcome to TFF

I have some confirmed Pitangas var. Dasyblasta growing and fruiting herein Portugal and I confirm small but abundant and very sweet tasty fruits.

Fabio

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2017, 11:37:39 AM »
Solko, I dont have any experience with this cdultivar of E.Uniflora but I heard about 2-3 people who coltivate them (Froum Mexico to Uruguay) and they told me about his cold hardiness. In internet there was a small amount of information unfortunally :( . I have only experience with Guabiyu , I planted it this spring and the tree is growing fast, and today we have a -8 C and the plant  have small damages (only a few leaves that was young are damaged)

Fabio

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2017, 11:41:21 AM »
Thank you , Miguel.pt I very like the forum.
 I m very interessed in  Eugenia species , can you sell me  a few plants or seeds , here is not very common and I want it.  Do you confirm the plant hardiness ?

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2017, 07:19:05 PM »
Very nice book! I like how to stated the average number of years to flowering. Nice photos too. Wasn't expecting Syzygiums and yellow jabo to be included.
Anisha

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2017, 07:49:42 PM »
Very nice article for beginners but somewhat outdated . I don't know when ( year ) this was put together but over the last 15 years a lot of work has been done on improving / selecting some Eugenias , specially the E. uniflora , the E . brasiliensis and E. pyriformis .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2018, 10:45:34 PM »

Hello Fabio and welcome to TFF

I have some confirmed Pitangas var. Dasyblasta growing and fruiting herein Portugal and I confirm small but abundant and very sweet tasty fruits.

Hi, what's the key to ID them? I mean, the Eugenia uniflora var Dasyblasta
ONLINE SHOP:

https://www.huertasurbanas.com/shop

30% Discount Coupon: FIRST

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2018, 08:02:00 PM »
Nice presentation from Tom Del Hotal. But i agree with Berto...the folks in California are a bit behind the times on their potential for growing great eugenia species. I remember bringing this up with Tom at the Pomona conference a few years ago during the same presentation. And i see he has added a few new species of eugenias to his presentation. I just had Ben Poirier from S. California over and he didn't know what E. candolleana or E. neonitida were. And he's a nurseryman. So Tom is not alone. But i think also there are many other great eugenias out there i don't know about. This is a HUGE genus with over 1000 species, so i guess that's not surprising. There's still a whole lot info out there to be discovered by most of us.

Oscar , ages ago , way before the FB area , I read an article written by Poirier ( I think I remember the name , could be wrong and my apologizes if I am  ) in the internet , the article was about 3 varieties of Eugenia . This article converted me in an Eugenia addict ....I wanted to grow them all....20 plus years later....( I am kinda slow ..lol...and always thinking / hoping things will get better with age ) I finally had to admit that all the Eugenias , and at one time I had a shitload of them , were only good for the back yard growers or the birds . I do agree some are really worth the long wait for the seeds to sprout ....I wont go in details...you know the ones ...Others are a delight , and I am always looking forward to their fruiting season .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk