Author Topic: Luc's Mexican Garcinia growing experiences around the world  (Read 170802 times)

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Luc's Mexican Garcinia growing experiences around the world
« Reply #375 on: February 14, 2018, 01:48:19 AM »
I've had a couple that looked worse than yours Mango Stein...and they bounced back, albeit very slowly (in true Luc's fashion.) Chris
-Chris

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: February 14, 2018, 06:26:02 PM »
Look's like my 2-foot tall plant is about to die, from root rot I think.
Probably because I watered it too much... 9L every evening. But the weather has been so hot and also it is on a raised mound.
Has some shade cloth above it.

They don't need a lot of water , actually they are very hard to kill , years ago I planted about 500 in a huge tub , left them under a longan and kinda ignored them . All grew well were transplanted and sold .
Don't forget that here in their natural habitat they don't get any rain for at least 8 months , just a little TLC will not hurt  ...
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

Anto989

• South Italy , calabria region near the tirrenian coast
    • View Profile
    • The exotic farm
« Reply #377 on: February 15, 2018, 03:39:09 PM »
how many years to fruit from seeds and how they are cold hardy(can they grow in a. cherimoia area with few nights of -2 during the winter?

00christian00

• Italy, Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: February 15, 2018, 04:03:47 PM »
how many years to fruit from seeds and how they are cold hardy(can they grow in a. cherimoia area with few nights of -2 during the winter?
I'm growing them in middle Italy(Ancona) with no issues, they are just covered from the cold wind and less than 1 year old, so for sure you won't have problems in your place.
I did plant the seeds directly on the ground in may/june last year and have been growing happily without any shade cloth.

Created4Us

• JoshGNaples
    • Naples, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: March 09, 2018, 10:56:19 PM »
Hi all, I'm new to the forum. I've enjoyed reading this thread. Exciting to see how close several people are to having fruiting trees. I wanted to share this grafted Luc's I got from Adam that just took.
-Josh

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #380 on: March 11, 2018, 11:23:50 AM »
Nice!

I had been selling some of the trees as pre-healed, which means I graft them and immediately send them to my customer to heal...the Garcinias have had surprisingly high success rate. 

I hope they grow very well for you, it's nice to be able to propagate this tree without waiting for seeds.

thanks for sharing!

Hi all, I'm new to the forum. I've enjoyed reading this thread. Exciting to see how close several people are to having fruiting trees. I wanted to share this grafted Luc's I got from Adam that just took.
-Josh

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: March 11, 2018, 11:34:46 AM »
Nice!

I had been selling some of the trees as pre-healed, which means I graft them and immediately send them to my customer to heal...the Garcinias have had surprisingly high success rate. 

I hope they grow very well for you, it's nice to be able to propagate this tree without waiting for seeds.

thanks for sharing!

-Josh

Hi Adam
What rootstock are you using?

Stevo

• Australia Far North Queensland Cairns 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: March 13, 2018, 01:48:23 AM »

Nearly 4 years old and 2 metres tall but growing well .No flowers yet

Lory

• Cebu-Philippines 10° N
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: March 13, 2018, 08:16:49 AM »
Do they look a strongly acidic soil? What is theis ideal pH range?
My little seedlings grow sooooo slowly and their youngest leaves look chlorotic quite decolored, whitish despite i treatet them with iron chelate
Lorenzo

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: April 07, 2018, 06:19:30 PM »

This flower looks female, no?

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: April 07, 2018, 07:57:58 PM »
This was grafted 2nd week of December by Adam.

Growing nicely.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #386 on: April 08, 2018, 02:00:36 AM »

This flower looks female, no?
Yes, either female or hermaphrodite.
Oscar

cos

• Maui Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: April 08, 2018, 02:21:06 AM »
To yet see that kind if would set fruit , would be a blessing as see no pollinators

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: April 08, 2018, 01:03:56 PM »
Yep. Mine has been doing that for a couple of years now but it never hangs onto the fruit. It flowers reasonably well, with dozens of female flowers several times a year. However, I have but one fruit that is currently hanging -- about an inch in width. Hoping it hangs on. Let us know if yours actually sticks around.
Jeff  :-)

Sleepdoc

• View Profile
« Reply #389 on: April 08, 2018, 01:16:03 PM »
I'll keep my fingers crossed.  My tree definitely is putting on some decent size.  About 1 1/2 feet above my head at the central leader.  Silver dollar thickness of the trunk at the base.  I think it could support a couple of fruit. 

« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 01:18:11 PM by Sleepdoc »

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: April 08, 2018, 03:15:23 PM »
How old is the tree? Mine started flowering at about 6 - 7 years old.

I'll keep my fingers crossed.  My tree definitely is putting on some decent size.  About 1 1/2 feet above my head at the central leader.  Silver dollar thickness of the trunk at the base.  I think it could support a couple of fruit. 

Sleepdoc

• View Profile
« Reply #391 on: April 08, 2018, 03:55:51 PM »
I had thought it was older, but Seadation and I tentatively dated it back to 5 years old from seed.

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #392 on: April 08, 2018, 05:28:31 PM »
I remember seadation offering me a tree but I had 30 seedlings that had sprouted. I got my seeds in 2013. If your tree came from the same batch, 2013 is right.
Brandon

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: April 09, 2018, 10:36:54 AM »
Holy cow, that's fast. You must be feeding it well.

I had thought it was older, but Seadation and I tentatively dated it back to 5 years old from seed.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #394 on: April 09, 2018, 05:32:21 PM »

Either that or there is a mistake in his records? My guess it that there is a mistake.
Oscar

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: April 09, 2018, 09:49:23 PM »
Definitely a big a** tree for 5 years. Looks more like 8-10 years! I've seen a couple ~10 year old ones that look similar, one in PR and one in FL

Sleepdoc

• View Profile
« Reply #396 on: April 10, 2018, 09:04:40 AM »

Either that or there is a mistake in his records? My guess it that there is a mistake.

I did some research through old photo's and text.  Confirmed my tree is in fact a 2013 seedling.  Seadation gave me the small seedling August 3 2013.  I planted it right away in ground.  It is in an area of my yard that has better soil than the rest of my yard.  In an area where the previous homeowner kept pigs and chickens, topsoil is black, and gets irrigation.  It is planted between 3 mango trees and a Mulberry, getting 70-80% filtered sunlight, 20-30% direct sunlight for most of its life.  I give it some slow release fertilizer, and occasional foliar sprays of the "Patrick mix" ( chelated Iron, Southern Ag citrus spray, occasionally mixed with foliage pro). 

Obviously it is happy where it is planted.  Seems like a synergistic effect of proper sunlight, water, food, and genetics.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #397 on: April 10, 2018, 11:47:58 PM »

I did some research through old photo's and text.  Confirmed my tree is in fact a 2013 seedling.  Seadation gave me the small seedling August 3 2013.  I planted it right away in ground.  It is in an area of my yard that has better soil than the rest of my yard.  In an area where the previous homeowner kept pigs and chickens, topsoil is black, and gets irrigation.  It is planted between 3 mango trees and a Mulberry, getting 70-80% filtered sunlight, 20-30% direct sunlight for most of its life.  I give it some slow release fertilizer, and occasional foliar sprays of the "Patrick mix" ( chelated Iron, Southern Ag citrus spray, occasionally mixed with foliage pro). 

Obviously it is happy where it is planted.  Seems like a synergistic effect of proper sunlight, water, food, and genetics.
OK, but how old was that seedling when you got it? They grow very slowly at first, so even a small seedling can be a lot older than appears.
Oscar

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: April 11, 2018, 12:53:33 PM »

Yeah, could be genetics mixed with the just the right spot and nutrition. I've noticed, when growing many Garcinia sp from seed, sometimes there are a couple seedlings that end up growing much stronger and faster than the rest of the batch despite the containers being in the same exposure, getting same water/fert treatment and I attribute it to genetics. I have seen some 2ft taller than others at the same age and you'd think they were years apart in age.

Sleepdoc

• View Profile
« Reply #399 on: April 12, 2018, 12:42:00 PM »

OK, but how old was that seedling when you got it? They grow very slowly at first, so even a small seedling can be a lot older than appears.

Seeds were delivered to Seadation April 9 2013.