Author Topic: Baccaurea angulata  (Read 7852 times)

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Baccaurea angulata
« on: April 05, 2012, 02:09:27 PM »
Baccaurea angulata looks pretty cool. Anyone growing it or tried the fruit? eBay has some seeds available from Malaysia right now so I bought some.

Some info on it: http://sarawakianaii.blogspot.com/2010/02/food-baccaurea-angulata-or-tampoi.html

eBay link: http://stores.ebay.com/shefloral2008

lkailburn

• USA, Fort Collins, Co, Zone 4b/5a
    • View Profile
Re: Baccaurea angulata
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 06:27:26 PM »
They look really cool!

-Luke

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 09:45:56 PM »
Hi murahilin,

Yeah they look really cool and I wish you luck with your order. Just beware of shefloral2008 (a little too late I guess). I have ordered seeds from them and told them to include my seed import permit. They didn't reply on my email request, and they didn't include my permit. The seeds were confiscated by US Customs with a warning notice of a fine because seed import permit was missing.

Tomas

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 09:52:09 PM »
Hi murahilin,

Yeah they look really cool and I wish you luck with your order. Just beware of shefloral2008 (a little too late I guess). I have ordered seeds from them and told them to include my seed import permit. They didn't reply on my email request, and they didn't include my permit. The seeds were confiscated by US Customs with a warning notice of a fine because seed import permit was missing.

Tomas

That sucks. I did email and said to include my permit. Let's see how it goes. If they don't include the permit that would suck. I will definitely be giving a bad review on eBay and paypal. There is only so many times they can do that stuff before eBay will remove a seller.

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 11:58:10 PM »
There are a few in FNQ around Cairns. Quite good and amazing thing to behold when laden with fruit. The ones I've seen are maybe more purple-red. I've always been told these ones are among the least cool tolerant. Burmese Grapes being the most cool tolerant. Hoping to get seeds and seedlings of angulata plus rambai tampoi and burmese grapes next season, cyclones permitting.

Also, these are all pretty big trees and I believe you need at least two of each for proper pollination.

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 02:16:11 AM »
Make sure to add .UK to the end of the email address as it is an international account.

-Ethan

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 03:09:01 AM »
Hi murahilin,

Tomas

Same thing happened to me, i asked her to include permit and never did. She sent me 3 packages, and 1 out of the 3 that  was opened was confiscated. She does a good job of wrapping the seeds and has good rare material, but doesn't respond to any emails or requests you send her. Good part is that if confiscated and you put in a claim eBay will reimburse you.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 07:22:55 PM by fruitlovers »
Oscar

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 10:35:15 AM »
There are a few in FNQ around Cairns. Quite good and amazing thing to behold when laden with fruit. The ones I've seen are maybe more purple-red. I've always been told these ones are among the least cool tolerant. Burmese Grapes being the most cool tolerant. Hoping to get seeds and seedlings of angulata plus rambai tampoi and burmese grapes next season, cyclones permitting.

Also, these are all pretty big trees and I believe you need at least two of each for proper pollination.

I know it is difficult to mail seeds into Australia, but is it difficult to mail them out? Could I possibly buy some angulata seeds from you if you do manage to get some?

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 10:36:51 AM »
Make sure to add .UK to the end of the email address as it is an international account.

-Ethan

Yup.

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 12:54:07 PM »
I bought the yellow variety seeds.. Lets see what happens..

ericalynne

• United States of America, Florida, Venus, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2012, 07:53:26 PM »
How did she (ebay seller) get all those positive feedback comments if she doesn't send the phyto? Looks like a very cool fruit. And it is wonderful to hear about Iban using the fruits of the tropical forest instead of clear-cutting.

Will be very interested in hearing an update.

Erica

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2012, 08:19:55 PM »
How did she (ebay seller) get all those positive feedback comments if she doesn't send the phyto? Looks like a very cool fruit. And it is wonderful to hear about Iban using the fruits of the tropical forest instead of clear-cutting.

Will be very interested in hearing an update.

Erica

Luckily with the small lot of seed permit I will not need a phyto. All the seller should have to do is include the permit and use the green/yellow sticker and all should be fine. I got a response from the seller and they said that the permit will be included. Hopefully that is true.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2012, 11:35:12 PM »

Luckily with the small lot of seed permit I will not need a phyto. All the seller should have to do is include the permit and use the green/yellow sticker and all should be fine. I got a response from the seller and they said that the permit will be included. Hopefully that is true.

That's exactly what i asked this vendor to do, include small seed lot permit and use green/yellow label, and did not do any of it. She also requests that if you have any problem to correspond with her and never answered any of my emails. I guess that only people satisfied with her are the packages that happen to make it through unopened.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2012, 12:52:44 AM »
I just received another package from Shefloral. Again no paperwork, didn't include the small seed lot permit like i asked. Only reaon it made it was because it went under the customs radar. Too bad about this because this vendor sends excellent quality seeds, well packaged, and has nice selection of rare fruits. Even if she had included the permit and done everything legit the package would have been confiscated as all the tampoi seeds had sprouted in transit. Now USDA has become more strict and doesn't allow ANY germination of seeds unless you get a phyto. Germinated seeds are now considered as plants. So this makes the small seed lot permit now practically worthless for seeds sent from tropics in moist medium as they do usually sprout in transit. Packages from Borneo and Indonesia usually take at least 2 weeks to arrive.
Oscar

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2012, 01:03:56 AM »
Funny, it says they dont ship to HI :)

-Ethan

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2012, 01:17:51 AM »

-Ethan

Yeah, i noticed that. Also says doesn't ship to Autralia or New Zealand. I don't know what the beef against Hawaii is since Hawaii has same identical rules for import as the rest of USA.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2012, 02:26:50 AM »
There is a section on Baccaurea angulata in the book Wild Fruits and Vegetables in Sarawak. Here is what it says:
"The belimbing hutan tree is medium in size and is a spectacular sight when loaded with very attractive bright red fruits that can cover the whole tree trunk and branches. Each fruit is about 6 cm long and when ripe the thick skin can be broken cross-wise to reveal three white pulpy flesh segments. The flesh is juicy, mucilagenous, and sticks to the seeds. Taste is a  pleasant refreshisng sourish-sweet. Chilled jucice from this fruit is a real thirst quencher."
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 04:46:10 AM by fruitlovers »
Oscar

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2012, 04:40:18 AM »

-Ethan

Yeah, i noticed that. Also says doesn't ship to Autralia or New Zealand. I don't know what the beef against Hawaii is since Hawaii has same identical rules for import as the rest of USA.

Or Uganda for that matter...
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk