Author Topic: new avos  (Read 2947 times)

treefrog

• peace, love, and guavas!
    • jefferson county, fl (panhandle) 8b
    • View Profile
new avos
« on: February 16, 2014, 02:17:06 PM »
i went by my friend john's place and picked up three more avocado trees.  first, a "poncho" as a housewarming present for a lady friend of mine.  i'm going to keep it in its pot in my greenhouse until mid april and then go plant it at her house.  poncho is pretty frost - hardy after the first couple years.  we have a spot picked out in a sheltered location on the south side of her new house.  a couple or three years of babying (cover with sheets, with a light bulb underneath on cold nights) and maybe she'll have an avo tree.

also picked up a "gainesville"  which i understand is similar to "mexicola."  this one is tiny, about fifteen inches tall in a 4" "tree pot."  this also will be nurtured inside the greenhouse, until it's a lot bigger.  then, it goes outside. 

third, i got a "fantastic"  which is the same as a "pryor" except for the copyrighted name and possibly the rootstock.  this is also going to be grown on for another year or two in a larger pot in the greenhouse, then planted out when it has a trunk maybe the size of a baseball bat.  this is one of the "fantastics" that are produced by hopkins in immokalee. 

pryor and fantastic have a reputation of good cold-hardiness.  i already have a "cairo" growing outside the greenhouse in a sheltered location.  it came through the winter with very little damage.  the terminal bud got zapped, but i was going to prune that to encourage branching anyway.  my mexicola made it through two winters before i built the greenhouse around it, and there are a few mature avos in the neighborhood. 

i'm not sure where all this is leading, but the basic idea is to push the envelope for tropical fruit here in north florida.  if all goes well, i hope to have hardy avos growing in the yard, and more tender ones in the greenhouse with the mangos.  i have pryor/fantastic, mexicola, gainesville, and cairo, i hope to have a supply of seeds for cold-hardy rootstock.  i may be able to get something going.

i know most of these cold-hardy varieties have only mediocre quality fruit.  if i have enough seed stock, i will be able to throw a lot of seeds in the ground,  i have four acres to play with.  who knows, if i throw the genetic dice often enough, i may get lucky.  an avocado cold hardy enough to stand north florida/south georgia winters that produces good fruit?   who knows?

many failures can be traced to a lack of making the attempt.

meanwhile, i'll get to eat a lot of avocados to get the seeds.   what's not to like?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 02:23:38 PM by treefrog »
treefrog land and cattle company

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: new avos
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 12:40:42 AM »
Exciting collection of avocados that you've got there, please don't forget to report on their progress, good luck and thanks for the post.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 02:53:17 PM »

meanwhile, i'll get to eat a lot of avocados to get the seeds.   what's not to like?

Nice collection for a cold clime.  I just grafted a Mexican variety this is/was popular in California - Stewart. Grafted it to Joey which is in the same Tex-Mex family that you have.   If you like citrus I will be planting a new Texas release satsuma called Arctic Frost.  It's on sour orange rootstock, my fave.   Said to be cold hardy down to 10F, zone 8a.  Another raved about satsuma that got a Texas Star award is Miho, also very cold hardy.

treefrog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 07:34:39 PM »
actually, i have more avo varieties than i mentioned.the total list (so far) is cairo, winter mexican, mexicola, wurtz dwarf, brazos belle (aka wilma). joey, fantastic (aka pryor), poncho and gainesville. this is waaaay too many for my limited space in the greenhouse.   even with a serious pruning program, it will be squeaky tight!
some of them will be only temporary greenhouse residents, until they are mature enough to be planted outside.  the cairo already is outside - on the south side of the main house porch.  it seems the most extremely cold hardy one i have.  it is also the one about which i know the least.  i have only anecdotal information on it, but the scion wood for it is said to come from a tree growing unprotected in georgia.  i have no idea what kind of fruit it will bear, but presumably it will have a seed in it.  i have hopes that its seedlings may prove to be very cold hardy rootstock.   ...and a few just to let grow into trees hoping some of them might inherit their parents' cold hardiness.   ...and one or two of them might have interesting fruit.  i have plenty of room and good soil.  there will be an interesting spectrum of other varieties' pollen in the air.  no telling what might happen in a few years time.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 07:37:51 PM by treefrog »

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 07:44:51 PM »
Treefrog, nice collection you got going I've been eying some of those cold hardy tex-mex varieties with interest please keep us informed  on how they do for you! I'm on the central coast of Ca. where we get down into low -mid twenty's every 8to 10 yrs.
Mark, the 'Miho' is it a small fruited variety?

treefrog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 09:33:48 AM »
mark,

"...If you like citrus..."  citrus is o.k. i guess, but i grew up in the middle of 60 acres of citrus in central florida in the days just after WWII.  those were not prosperous days in our neighborhood.   citrus was often on the menu.  sometimes, it seems in memory, there was little but citrus.  i'm afraid i got overdosed on citrus at an early age. 

MangoMan2

• East Central Brevard County. 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 08:48:50 PM »
i went by my friend john's place and picked up three more avocado trees.  first, a "poncho" as a housewarming present for a lady friend of mine.  i'm going to keep it in its pot in my greenhouse until mid april and then go plant it at her house.  poncho is pretty frost - hardy after the first couple years.  we have a spot picked out in a sheltered location on the south side of her new house.  a couple or three years of babying (cover with sheets, with a light bulb underneath on cold nights) and maybe she'll have an avo tree.

also picked up a "gainesville"  which i understand is similar to "mexicola."  this one is tiny, about fifteen inches tall in a 4" "tree pot."  this also will be nurtured inside the greenhouse, until it's a lot bigger.  then, it goes outside. 

third, i got a "fantastic"  which is the same as a "pryor" except for the copyrighted name and possibly the rootstock.  this is also going to be grown on for another year or two in a larger pot in the greenhouse, then planted out when it has a trunk maybe the size of a baseball bat.  this is one of the "fantastics" that are produced by hopkins in immokalee. 

pryor and fantastic have a reputation of good cold-hardiness.  i already have a "cairo" growing outside the greenhouse in a sheltered location.  it came through the winter with very little damage.  the terminal bud got zapped, but i was going to prune that to encourage branching anyway.  my mexicola made it through two winters before i built the greenhouse around it, and there are a few mature avos in the neighborhood. 

i'm not sure where all this is leading, but the basic idea is to push the envelope for tropical fruit here in north florida.  if all goes well, i hope to have hardy avos growing in the yard, and more tender ones in the greenhouse with the mangos.  i have pryor/fantastic, mexicola, gainesville, and cairo, i hope to have a supply of seeds for cold-hardy rootstock.  i may be able to get something going.

i know most of these cold-hardy varieties have only mediocre quality fruit.  if i have enough seed stock, i will be able to throw a lot of seeds in the ground,  i have four acres to play with.  who knows, if i throw the genetic dice often enough, i may get lucky.  an avocado cold hardy enough to stand north florida/south georgia winters that produces good fruit?   who knows?

many failures can be traced to a lack of making the attempt.

Where did you find the gainesville at? I have been trying to find one for sometime now.

Thanks, Joe.

GangstaRIB

• Clermont, FL | Central Florida Ridges and Uplands USDA Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 06:02:30 PM »
3+ years later... How is the mexicola? I am looking for a 'dwarf' size myself and I hear this one can be kept 'small' at least by avocado standards to 10-15 feet or so. Also I am able to find data of mexicola in S FL from Carlos so I'm wondering how N FL fairs. I'm in Central FL so I should not have to worry too much about a freeze out unless we catch record temps. You've had some cold blast this year for sure how did the cados all do?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk