Author Topic: Borers suck, need a new avocado..."Florida Haas"?  (Read 21957 times)

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
Re: Borers suck, need a new avocado..."Florida Haas"?
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2012, 08:32:11 PM »
Carlos,
I have tasted Nishikawa avocados here in Fort Myers.  The great John Painter, in Pine Island, Florida, sells them during season.  I  have an 8 feet tree that will hold fruit this year.
Nishikawa is well adapted to SW Florida.  The taste is very rich with a nutty finishing (subjective).

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2012, 10:26:57 PM »
Hey Carlos, great website you have there, really enjoyed it. Looking forward to following the progress of your evaluations.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2012, 10:42:13 PM »
That is why we need to bring in more Florida mango cultivars to experiment with and you guys really need to try some of our Hawaiian avos.

OK....sounds like a plan....let's do it!

Harry

This will give you an idea of the diversity of avocados found and tested here. If you click on the poster image it will enlarge:
http://www.fruitlovers.com/AvocadoPoster.html
Carlos, nice website. I'm glad you are doing trials already on some Hawaiian cultivars. BTW on your website, name should be Fujikawa, not Fijikawa.
Oscar

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2012, 11:51:52 AM »
I've got a 7 gallon Fl Haas located, anybody seen a Bacon avocado plant for sale in Central/SW Florida?

There are Bacon trees for sale in the Home Depot in the South Florida area right now. They may have them in your area. Nice trees too. Grown by Pine island Nursery. It dont know how far North you live buy I think Oro Negro Avocado could take your temperature. Someone from California told me it took it to 17 degrees. I had a freeze in my grove in Homestead this December down to 28 degrees for a few hours every variety got frezze burn except Oro Negro. Beautifull tree, great fruit.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

Nice website Carlos.  :) I've always been tempted to buy a oro negro avocado tree. But when I was hunting for one, I found a healthy nice-looking brogdon in Lowes and bought it.  It has the anise/lemony smell when you rip the leaves. According to the pine island tag it had on it, the fruits ripen from september to november and the cold hardiness is 22-25 degrees.
Alexi

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2012, 11:54:08 AM »
That is why we need to bring in more Florida mango cultivars to experiment with and you guys really need to try some of our Hawaiian avos.

OK....sounds like a plan....let's do it!

Harry

This will give you an idea of the diversity of avocados found and tested here. If you click on the poster image it will enlarge:
http://www.fruitlovers.com/AvocadoPoster.html
Carlos, nice website. I'm glad you are doing trials already on some Hawaiian cultivars. BTW on your website, name should be Fujikawa, not Fijikawa.

Nice avocado poster!  :)
Alexi

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk