Author Topic: No flowers?  (Read 2043 times)

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
No flowers?
« on: April 11, 2012, 02:36:17 AM »
Arrived in Fla this weekend to visit my mother, and noticed that our huge Valencia Pride did not flower this year. which is odd.  has anyone else had mature  mango trees not flower this year ?
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: No flowers?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 07:15:38 AM »
Arrived in Fla this weekend to visit my mother, and noticed that our huge Valencia Pride did not flower this year. which is odd.  has anyone else had mature  mango trees not flower this year ?
No and from what I have seen (as far as "mature mangoes) is that this looks to be a very good year for mangoes so far.
- Rob

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 08:41:56 AM »
Just posted this in another thread.  While my Valencia Pride did bloom, it was not a normal VP bloom.  here's what I wrote in the other thread a few minutes ago.

You know, it is a bit strange.  There have been several previously blooming and fruiting mango trees that just have not bloomed this year.  Florigon wasn't one of them at my house but amongst the non-bloomers were Bombay, Kensington Pride and Hatcher.  I have no idea why.  This is a first for Bombay ....which is quite a large tree. It even flowered and fruited immediatley after major limb damage from Hurricane Wilma.  Hatcher has fruited for the last 3 years, I think.  Kensington pride was a new planting from the Fairchild Festival 2 years ago, but it set abut 5 fruits last year after a good blooming cycle.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 09:19:28 AM »
My established VP only pushed out 5 or 6 inflo's. 

I did a major pruning 2 years ago.  I thought it would recover this season and have a lot of production ... Guess I was wrong ..

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 02:49:49 PM »
Tip the new growth (each new flush) after a severe pruning, and you can often get the tree to produce the very next year. Without tipping, a severe pruning is often an exercise in futility, since the tree just gets mad and grows right back to where it was :-). You also lose a couple of seasons worth of fruit in the process. Increasing the leaf surface area and getting it quickly back into the production cycle (through the use of tipping) is conducive to encouraging the tree to more slowly grow back to the pre-pruned size.

My established VP only pushed out 5 or 6 inflo's. 

I did a major pruning 2 years ago.  I thought it would recover this season and have a lot of production ... Guess I was wrong ..
Jeff  :-)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk