Author Topic: looking for a sweet mango  (Read 4903 times)

druss

• australia
    • View Profile
looking for a sweet mango
« on: July 22, 2018, 08:23:44 PM »
After all the mango talk, I am looking for a mango, preferably high sweetness, no acid, no piney, turpentine or citrus notes, just sugared mango flavour with low fibre, any recommendations.

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
Re: looking for a sweet mango
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 10:37:18 PM »
Nam Doc Mai
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

cmichael258

• St. Pete, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 10:39:08 PM »
Michael

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2018, 10:46:54 PM »
NDM for sure. You may also like CAC/COC.

Simon

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 07:57:00 AM »
high sweetness, no acid, no piney, turpentine or citrus notes, just sugared mango flavour with low fibre

Pim Sen Mun and Okrung have that to my taste buds. Doesn't crack when ripening for me like NDM.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kgHf1F6YGQ

denek112

• Poland
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pfr-podkarpackie.pl/oferta/dzialalnosc-pozyczkowa.html
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2018, 08:13:46 AM »
This morning a made an fruit coctail with mango and it was awfull. Generally I love mango but this time I don't know what happened. My coctail was from half mango, little pineapple, 1 spoune of lime and chia. A blended all with yogurt.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2018, 08:17:53 AM »
Mahachanok and Brahm Kai Meu are options.
- Rob

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2018, 09:11:48 AM »
PSM is a solid recommendation as well. I enjoy it much more than NDM. Though I think NDM fruits can be larger and may be more productive. Avoid NDM on root stock #4 (more incidence of fruit splitting). I can only speak about my experience on that Okrung takes a while for the tree to mature to flower and bear fruit versus other popular Asian varieties.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2018, 11:54:22 AM »
PSM is a solid recommendation as well. I enjoy it much more than NDM. Though I think NDM fruits can be larger and may be more productive. Avoid NDM on root stock #4 (more incidence of fruit splitting). I can only speak about my experience on that Okrung takes a while for the tree to mature to flower and bear fruit versus other popular Asian varieties.

Its not NDM on rootstock #4, its NDM #4 (rootstock plays no role in the number).  There are many NDM in Thailand and they are assigned numbers.  Some are given names, such as Siatong and Mun.
- Rob

Bananimal

• Dan the Bananaman
    • Port St Lucie, Fl zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2018, 12:39:15 PM »
Sweet Tart.  It is now my best mango having edged out the Pickering
Dan

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2018, 01:29:43 PM »
Hmm...didn't anyone notice he is in Australia?? Many suggestions mean nothing due to variety unavailability, but NDM is available in Australia and it happens to fit requirement perfectly.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 01:50:05 PM by DurianLover »

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2018, 03:26:04 PM »
Hmm...didn't anyone notice he is in Australia?? Many suggestions mean nothing due to variety unavailability, but NDM is available in Australia and it happens to fit requirement perfectly.

He also did not give any list to choose from, just for ideas.  Ok, my new answer, Kensington Pride.  Ha!
- Rob

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2018, 10:45:11 PM »
Lol....NDM is the most over rated & over hyped establshed mango around.  People think they are supposed to like it because other people claim to.  NDM is typical of most one note Asian mangos that score high on sweetness and zero on flavor.  It has about as much mango flavor as a stalk of sugarcane.  Oh and please don't tell me it can be eaten green like a Granny Smith Apple. They taste even worse green. I would rather have a good dooryard Tommy Akins than a NDM.  Of all the mangos in the esablshed mainstream NDM should be voted most likely to fail to live up to expectations.  NO ONE SHOULD EVER PLANT NDM OR MAHA WITHOUT TASTING THEM FIRST.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 10:46:45 PM by nighthawk0911@yahoo.com »
Blessed be the man who plants a tree knowing he will never live to enjoy it's fruit or shade.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2018, 11:16:39 PM »
Lol....NDM is the most over rated & over hyped establshed mango around.  People think they are supposed to like it because other people claim to.  NDM is typical of most one note Asian mangos that score high on sweetness and zero on flavor.  It has about as much mango flavor as a stalk of sugarcane.  Oh and please don't tell me it can be eaten green like a Granny Smith Apple. They taste even worse green. I would rather have a good dooryard Tommy Akins than a NDM.  Of all the mangos in the esablshed mainstream NDM should be voted most likely to fail to live up to expectations.  NO ONE SHOULD EVER PLANT NDM OR MAHA WITHOUT TASTING THEM FIRST.

I’ve tasted many of the new Zill varieties and many of the local SoCal developed varieties and I still like NDM. It is very low on flavor(acidic balance) and has high sugars especially considering it has almost no acid balance but I still like it. It has absolutely no fiber, pretty much the definition of fiberless.

I brought a perfectly ripe NDM to work today and shared it with 7 friends and they went bonkers over it. Yes, they are new to home grown Mangos but they love the NDM. The NDM gave them the first taste of a good Mango. I have shared Lemon Zest and Pina Colada with them in the past and these two blew their minds but they were still really impressed with NDM.

Simon

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2018, 11:37:30 PM »
Yes NDM seems perfect for what he is looking for,   no acid,  no piney,  no resin,  just very sweet,  with not much complexity.   the ones I had last year were very good,   not my favorite though,  since I prefer something a bit more complex. 

I have to disagree that people only seek out NDM because they believe they should like it.     everyone has their own taste.   personally I prefer the Maha which is also available in AU. but that one does have some unique flavors, ( some say it has turnip or carrot overtones,  not detected by me ) and not as high in brix, but one of my favorites.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2018, 12:46:53 AM »
After enjoying nam doc mai mangoes from my backyard orchard for the last decade, I have to break the news: Nam doc mai does have a tart component to it -- you just need to know how to eat it.

There are 2 ways to enjoy the NDM in its tart and complexly flavored phase:

- Eat at first sign of yellowing (do not wait until it's fully yellow). It is quite simply one of the best mangoes when eaten at this stage, rivaling the best of both the classics and Gary Zill's new selections.
 - Pick very early and allow to ripen indoors (for about 2 weeks).

NDM is a dual personality mango. My wife and her loyal Asian clientele love it at the fully ripe / super high brix stage. But I think it's incredible at the tart + sweet stage.
Jeff  :-)

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2018, 01:24:41 AM »
on Super sweet mango, add Gary to the list and when Creme Brule is released, add that too.

Lory

• Cebu-Philippines 10° N
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2018, 05:11:38 AM »
Would i trigger a hurricane saying KEITT ??
Lorenzo

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2018, 07:08:08 AM »
I agree with Cookie Monster. I had NDM for the first time last year and was unimpressed. Because of all the hype around this mango, I gave it another shot this year and ate it at apparently the right time, because it was fantastic. I now like the mango a lot. It was one of the best I had this year.

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2018, 09:11:49 AM »
Per what he's looking for NDM is a great fit. And re the heavy criticism above..many people like myself who have tasted all the newer varieties and grow many of them for years ..still absolutely love a good NDM and don't  just eat them because other people say they should.

Mine were fantastic this year, and not every ripe NDM is only sugary sweet...mine had some complexity this season especially the later ones which had some acidity and rose notes.
always longing for a JA Julie

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2018, 09:16:51 AM »
When it comes to overrated mangos.. personally I think lemon zest is the absolutely most overrated mango (blasphemy right? :) )
always longing for a JA Julie

kc_moses

• Lake Worth, FL, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2018, 10:16:22 AM »
Yes mango preference could be very subjective.  I recently tried Coconut Cream, yes it smells good etc, at the end I'm glad I grow NDM. Here is why:
I'm looking for mango that I'm not only can eat fresh. I want a mango that perform well in dessert, whether is mango mousse, mango pudding, mango lassi, dehydrated mango, freeze dried mango etc. I think a lot of the complex flavor like Coconut cream will be lost in dessert. If you make a mango cake with Coconut Cream, and a mango cake with NDM, chances is many people would think the cake made with NDM taste like mango cake while the one made with CC would taste like mango with something else, hence throw people off as mango dessert.

The nice thing about NDM is it can be used to make Thai mango salad, so there could be some "commercial" benefit if you can sell it in your neighborhood area. I still like to eat other mango with complex flavor, but if I keep eating Coconut Cream for 2 weeks in a row, I'm going to get sick of it, so when choosing mango to grow, at the end of the day you need to consider the application of the mango once you start harvest hundred of mango off the tree in a couple years.

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2018, 11:03:02 AM »
First big crop of ndm this year and with heavy rains they are splitting and lost about half

Hoping to get a few as they have tasted great in previous seasons

druss

• australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2018, 07:31:55 PM »
Yes, I'm in Oz, but Gary and ndm are here, a couple others as well possibly. Also if they're poly I can chase seeds up. Thanks for the suggestions.

bulldawg305

• Miami, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2018, 08:28:03 PM »

You may not like it but NDM does have:
"high sweetness, no acid, no piney, turpentine or citrus notes, just sugared mango flavour with low fibre" ;D
Indochinese vs Florida/peach flavor and should be available in Aus.