Author Topic: Fruit tasting get together san diego  (Read 3095 times)

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Fruit tasting get together san diego
« on: July 21, 2020, 03:18:23 PM »
Tentatively planning to have people over to have some fruits and socialize a bit in a couple weeks. 

Just bring something to share with the group. 

I realize theres a nasty virus going around.  Theres plenty of space and good breeze here to keep people safe. I plan to put out tables distanced from one another and people can distance at their confort level, wear masks if you want to chat etc so we can all stay healthy.

If you would like to join send me a message please. 
Brad Spaugh

mike rule

• karrabin qld australia
    • View Profile
Re: Fruit tasting get together san diego
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2020, 03:52:16 PM »
Brad If I  could travel would love to attend .. Please all keep safe.....

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2020, 04:04:50 PM »

Mike you can come, but they may make you spend 2 weeks on an island to return home.  Flights should be cheap...

We'll be safe.  It's not one of these crazy covid parties I've been seeing in Florida.  You guys out there are crazy!  :o
Brad Spaugh

alangr088

• Los Angeles, Zone 10B Sunset 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2020, 04:24:44 PM »
I would be interested...pending date.  Sending PM.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2020, 06:46:45 PM »

Mike you can come, but they may make you spend 2 weeks on an island to return home.  Flights should be cheap...

We'll be safe.  It's not one of these crazy covid parties I've been seeing in Florida.  You guys out there are crazy!  :o
There are crazy people everywhere, Brad, including CA (but you know that)!  I mostly stay at home and shop when necessary with a mask on.
John

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2020, 07:14:19 PM »

There are crazy people everywhere, Brad, including CA (but you know that)!  I mostly stay at home and shop when necessary with a mask on.

Yeah I figured it wasnt the fruit forum types out throwing the block parties.  The video of the drunk girl dancing and falling on her butt was too much lol. 

So right now its lookng like it will be friday July 31st or august 1st in the morning before its crazy hot here.  We get a little marine layer until about 8-9am.  I just need to wait and see when the fruits start coming in.  I got about 50 watermelon plants and a bunch of dragonfruit and some avocados.  Stone fruits are looking like they will be done by then. 
Brad Spaugh

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2020, 10:26:48 PM »
What?  No mangos??  :(
John

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2020, 11:29:06 PM »
No offense, not a very smart idea.
- Rob

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2020, 12:39:34 AM »
That ok Rob, no offense taken.  People can decide what's right for them.  I think a little common sense and appropriate distancing and we will be fine.  This is not going to be a raging party with music and booze. 

My son is in school and my family goes out for meals at restaurants that are still open with outdoor seating etc.  We don't act foolish but we're not hiding in the basement here. 

Brad Spaugh

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2020, 09:27:25 AM »
Covid can exist indoors. It does not exist outdoors. Spaugh has breezes and lots of sun, there is nothing to worry about. Spaugh can always set up a few electric fans to make more breezes

Indoors covid? All depends on who is there, how crowded and is the indoor air circulating to disperse virus. Outdoors covid is a joke. The brainwashing is very intense though, because when I take a long walk 50% or more are wearing a mask. Outdoors! tw-- The covid testing center near me (Tamarac) is more jammed up with cars than ever before. So much so that a Sheriff's cruiser was at the back of the longest line I have ever seen. The cruiser carrying an electric billboard saying "Testing Center Closed"

Florida has a huge number of positive covid test results because more testing is done than ever before----They say covid deaths will reflect  (have a lag time) more infections after 3-4 weeks.  I doubt we shall see this. My take is that 90% of these infections are asymptomatic and will remain asymptomatic and big nothings. If Broward schools are closed this fall then dock the teachers pay. Paying them for online classes, so called remote learning BS is BS.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 09:31:30 AM by zands »

TomekK

• In search of Theobromas
    • Vienna, Virginia Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2020, 10:58:32 AM »
Wish I could come! Alas, I’m on the wrong side of the country.

Zands, I fully agree with everything you said, except for one thing. I personally think that most of the learning done in schools can be done equally well online/at home. It is equally BS. You can do much better by yourself, homeschooling.

It also gets even more ridiculous. I am seriously studying the piano, and will probably go to a music conservatory in a year (if I get in and get good scholarships-hahaha!). I am currently taking lessons from a professor at several schools in NYC. All the colleges in NYC are moving to online classes this year. That includes piano lessons. I can tell you firsthand that lessons online are just a cheap imitation of in person lesson-we are dealing primarily with sound and physical movements, and online lessons just don’t allow us to hear and feel everything we need to.

But will the colleges be charging less for online lessons? Lessons that are worse, and don’t require expensive facilities. Of course not! It’s still $70,000 a year without scholarships, for now crappy lessons, mandatory classes designed to brainwash you into the college’s agenda, and a useless piece of paper.

Sorry for the rant,
Tomek

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2020, 02:35:27 PM »
Covid can exist indoors. It does not exist outdoors. Spaugh has breezes and lots of sun, there is nothing to worry about. Spaugh can always set up a few electric fans to make more breezes

Indoors covid? All depends on who is there, how crowded and is the indoor air circulating to disperse virus. Outdoors covid is a joke. The brainwashing is very intense though, because when I take a long walk 50% or more are wearing a mask. Outdoors! tw-- The covid testing center near me (Tamarac) is more jammed up with cars than ever before. So much so that a Sheriff's cruiser was at the back of the longest line I have ever seen. The cruiser carrying an electric billboard saying "Testing Center Closed"

Florida has a huge number of positive covid test results because more testing is done than ever before----They say covid deaths will reflect  (have a lag time) more infections after 3-4 weeks.  I doubt we shall see this. My take is that 90% of these infections are asymptomatic and will remain asymptomatic and big nothings. If Broward schools are closed this fall then dock the teachers pay. Paying them for online classes, so called remote learning BS is BS.

You are a fucking Trump loving moron.  "It doesnt exist outdoors?"  Fucking dumbest shit I have ever heard.  You probably also feel this is just the flu and all a hoax.

Check the positivity rates, dumbass. Facts are facts. Deaths are deaths.
 Please stop regurgitating the bullshit lies the orange haired orangutan dipshit, who called "our leader" (a fucking joke) spews from his trap...
- Rob

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2020, 03:38:01 PM »
Thanks BS Bullie.    Now prove to me that corona virus exists in the great breezy sunny outdoors of Florida suburbia.   Go into your backyard and tell me that you have random covid viruses floating around out there waiting to strike random doom on any guests you have over.. Or do you actually wear a face mask when you go in your backyard to look at fruit trees? Perhaps you do.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 03:40:19 PM by zands »

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2020, 03:53:07 PM »
6 or 7 people said they would like to come so it's looking like friday the 31st or the following friday.

I'll clean up and wear gloves and mask and serve the fruits at spaced out tables.  If people want to conversate or go look around just wear your mask and keep your 6ft distance so everyone is comfortable.

Brad Spaugh

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2020, 04:48:45 PM »
Zands keep yr political garbage To yrself. Now he’s sending the gestapo to Seattle what other proof do you need? Do you have any decency and respect for the 145,000 Americans that have expired due to trump virus?

TomekK

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2020, 05:12:26 PM »
JF regardless of your politics, the so-called protests have been nothing more than violent mobs. The government should have stepped in a long time ago, and immediately cracked down on the mobs. Seattle is one of the best examples of “protests” turning into anarchy. Also, Zands never said anything about Trump that I could see. He only spoke against further restrictions. Calling the virus the “trump virus” is disrespectful to not only our president, whom we should want to succeed in leading the country regardless of our politics, but also to America and to the people who died because of a virus coming from the carelessness of China.

As for masks, we live in a country based on freedom and personal responsibility. If someone wants to wear a mask, go for it. What I don’t want is my government telling me what to do. That is not only un-American, but also leads to stronger and stronger government even after an emergency ends. If you don’t like that about this country, there are many other countries that may suit you better.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2020, 05:22:13 PM »
Don’t you dare lecture me about what’s unamerican and what’s not Mister!!...I’m 60 years old and a US Marine so you can go to hell w yr propaganda.  DeSantis and Trump have cause more harm and death to this country than bid laden and Fidel Castro combine.....again keep yr garbage politics away from this forum

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2020, 06:17:54 PM »
I wish I could come to the fruit testing. It is too far of a drive from here. Have fun and stay safe, guys!
Please anyone do not take it wrong, I am just an outsider in politic.
 It is kind of sad to see how divided this country has became today. I am not an American by birth, but I will be loyal to any country that provides me a peace, stability, and opportunity. I am a refugee from Indonesia. Google 1998 Indonesian riot. I was a double minority, chinese by blood and christian by choice. One million minority was killed that day. I am an eye witness. Our government still deny it and cover it up to this day.
That happens because the government divided the people. I pray it will never happen here. But the way I see it, if the media keeps dividing people, I am really worried a few decades from now I will witness again what I saw in my home country.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 06:21:16 PM by palingkecil »

TomekK

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2020, 07:28:06 PM »
I think we can all agree that we shouldn’t be divided, and should do our best to unite as a country. We shouldn’t fight too much over politics, though it does make for good fun while cooped up home.

I must say one thing, though. I think one way that this country is great is how slowly change occurs, and how little any politician can actually achieve. For example, Trump and immigration. Do you think that he really has done much? In fact, some things are now more lenient than during Obama. Any proposed changes are quickly struck down in the courts. My mother has been working for the government in immigration for many years now, and can testify that all that the media say is either overblown or completely false.

I think that’s one thing we can all unite on: a dislike of all media. That and a love of tropical fruit.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2020, 07:33:18 PM »
I'd be interested but would need way more lead time to fly out there.  Have a good time.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2020, 07:39:40 PM »
I'd be interested but would need way more lead time to fly out there.  Have a good time.
Ok next one will be in January
Brad Spaugh

CGameProgrammer

• San Diego (10b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2020, 07:51:17 PM »
This thread has gone way off the rails. I do agree that get-togethers are ideally best avoided.

For what it's worth I have no ripe fruit right now. My acerola just finished fruiting but is putting out another wave of flowers, my red jaboticaba, which fruited for the first time ever a couple of months ago, is now creating new flowers, and my wax jambu are flowering and I've unripe bananas that'll ripen later this year along with green sapote, and I have a mango tree (either Lemon Zest or Coconut Cream) that should have had ripe fruit but the biggest ones split open so I guess it's getting too much water.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2020, 09:17:29 PM »
Over 1,000 deaths from Covid 19 in US today.  I guess thats from increase in testing.   Again, dumbass... 
- Rob

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2020, 09:33:59 PM »
Ok guys take it somewhere else please.  We are going to do social distancing and mask wearing and be as safe as possible.  No different than going out for outdoor dining.  If it's not for you fine don't come.  Everyone who messaged me about coming is professionals with careers and families.  It's not a spring break drunk fest, I think we can safely manage eating a few watermelons. 

Thanks!

We got our first orangeglo melon today.  Guaranteed to be the best watermelon you will ever try.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 09:37:16 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

TomekK

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2020, 10:27:13 PM »
Wish I could have watermelons... Alas, for some reason they just don’t grow well here, and when they do the fruit doesn’t turn out good.

Good luck on the get together!