Author Topic: Indian Mango season 2018  (Read 10968 times)

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Indian Mango season 2018
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2018, 10:15:43 PM »
I was told by a friend:  Pioneer Cash and Carry Artesia CA
$25 for Kesar (qty 10-12)..UTTM brand
$33 for Alphonso (don't know qty)
Warren

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2018, 10:55:50 PM »
The price will drop as the main season Fruit gets harvested. You guys are already paying a lot less than San Diego. The Alphonso’s have been good. The fruit had wide shoulders and blunt filled in nose and the skin had yellow color.

The Kesars look like they’re about ready but went out with family today so I’ll sample them tomorrow. The Kesars appear not filled in and the skin of unripe fruit were all green with just the slightest yellow blush so it appears they were harvested prematurely.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2018, 05:38:42 PM »
I ate the first Kesar today and it actually tasted great. It only had a Brix reading of 17% but it tasted sweet and piney. I love the piney resin flavor on the flesh close to the skin but it can give you a tickle or cough on the back of your throat. I’m surprised how sweet it tastes with such an average Brix reading.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2018, 10:05:45 PM »
I just cut open three Alphonso Mangos and all three had some degree of spongy tissue and internal breakdown. This is a reminder why I took out my Alphonso trees.

Simon

ajeshcool47

• India,Kerala,Ernakulam,Tropical
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/ajeshthoppil.tr
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2018, 06:37:23 AM »
Here is the Priyoor mango, ready to eat.. .

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2018, 02:30:09 PM »
Looking good Simon I think I’ll go get me a box

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2018, 02:33:55 PM »
Ate an ataulfo mango today.  I finally understand what people mean by a 'chaulky' component to the taste.  no thank you.  :-\

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2018, 02:35:58 PM »
Ate an ataulfo mango today.  I finally understand what people mean by a 'chaulky' component to the taste.  no thank you.  :-\

Chalky is not bad if it’s flavorful like HK which can be quite chalky but ataulfo is bland horrible mango

Indian Kesar excellent brix between 18-21 slightly piney sweet complex bit of fiber better than HK

« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 04:10:16 PM by JF »

ramv

• USA WA Zone 8B
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2018, 12:05:20 AM »
I am currently in Bangalore India. I picked up Banganapalli, Raspuri, Imam Pasand, Badami (a strain of Alfonso), Malgova and Mallika.

Malgova is excellent and consistently good. This IMO is the top pick for this area each year. . Raspuri is wonderful as well but a bit tart. Imam Pasand is outstanding, the best fruits beat everything else.  but quite inconsistent. Banganapalli is also excellent but even more inconsistent.

Alfonso is not very consistent at all. Mallika is good but it is still too early in the season.

Kesar is not here yet.

It is peak season for Sapota (Sapodilla). I tasted some of the sweetest fruits this season.

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2018, 09:55:25 PM »
Hit up Pioneer Cash & Carry today and picked up a box of Uttam Kesar mangoes $25/box.  This will be the first time trying kesar

Also picked up a box of Soleil Manila mangoes $5/box

Pasca

• Los Angeles, California, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2018, 01:41:46 AM »
Is Kesar the only type of Indian mango that is available at the store now?

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2018, 05:24:10 AM »
I only saw Kesar and Manila

Pasca

• Los Angeles, California, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2018, 07:53:24 PM »
I went to Pioneer Cash & Carry today and found some Alphonso mango.  They just came in on a shipment from India.  They are $35 for a box.  I am sure the cost of air shipment has something to do with he cost.  If you would like to try some Alphonso mango from India, come and pick up some before they run out.  The store is at the corner of 183rd and Pioneer.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2018, 02:56:52 PM »
I stopped by Miramar Cash and Carry today and they have a new Indian Mango variety I have never had before. The variety is called Rajapuri and it is a large mango. The fruit size actually varies a lot. They had boxes that contained 7 smaller fruit, 6 medium fruit or 5 large Fruit. I selected the box containing 5 larger fruit in the hopes that the larger fruit are better quality and more ripe. The biggest fruit in my box weighed exactly 1.5 lbs. the fruit were so large that they had to use special boxes that are higher to accommodate the large shoulders of the Fruit.

Rajapuri next to Kesar

They also had Banganpalli with 8 fruit per box.
Banganpalli and all three lined up

The Kesars are still small but they have more color and smell so hopefully they will be better than the last batch

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2018, 10:17:08 PM »
I just cut into the Rajapuri Mango and wow, what an unexpectedly delicious mango. A friend of mine also purchased a box of Rajapuri and reported to me that they were ok but nothing special so I wasn’t expecting much from them. When I cut open the fruit, I was immediately hit with a Mango perfume that I’ve never experienced before. The smell is like a combination of Guava, Passionfruit, Peach and a tiny hint of Indian resin.

The fruit tasted very sweet, it tasted sweeter than the 19% Brix I got from the sample. This is a very complex flavored mango that I highly recommend if you need a break from regular mango flavored Mangos. This Mango was also extremely juicy. The cons are that the fruit was slightly bruised in shipping, one side of the Mango was flattened and softer than the rest of the Fruit. The fruit also had a slight amount of fiber, less than a Haden.

This is the first fruit I’ve eaten and I’m eager to see if the other fruit are as good. My friend may have selected the box with more but smaller fruit and perhaps those weren’t as ripe?
Here’s a picture

Simon

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2018, 10:58:18 PM »
Slightly off topic, but which Indian type mango cultivars seem to do the best for folks in SoCal a medium distance from the ocean (7-8 miles inland)?  (In terms of vigor, productivity, and disease resistance.)

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2018, 11:13:00 PM »
I feel it has a lot to do with the rootstocks but in terms of what little we know about Indian varieties grown in roughly coastal inland areas, my friend has a productive Bombay and Kesar and Jumbo Kesar seem pretty disease resistant and sets a good amount of fruit. Another friend has Neelam and Mallika that is productive.

Simon

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2018, 11:23:06 PM »
I feel it has a lot to do with the rootstocks but in terms of what little we know about Indian varieties grown in roughly coastal inland areas, my friend has a productive Bombay and Kesar and Jumbo Kesar seem pretty disease resistant and sets a good amount of fruit. Another friend has Neelam and Mallika that is productive.

Simon

Interesting -- thanks!

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2018, 11:12:34 PM »
I just cut into the Rajapuri Mango and wow, what an unexpectedly delicious mango. A friend of mine also purchased a box of Rajapuri and reported to me that they were ok but nothing special so I wasn’t expecting much from them. When I cut open the fruit, I was immediately hit with a Mango perfume that I’ve never experienced before. The smell is like a combination of Guava, Passionfruit, Peach and a tiny hint of Indian resin.

The fruit tasted very sweet, it tasted sweeter than the 19% Brix I got from the sample. This is a very complex flavored mango that I highly recommend if you need a break from regular mango flavored Mangos. This Mango was also extremely juicy. The cons are that the fruit was slightly bruised in shipping, one side of the Mango was flattened and softer than the rest of the Fruit. The fruit also had a slight amount of fiber, less than a Haden.

This is the first fruit I’ve eaten and I’m eager to see if the other fruit are as good. My friend may have selected the box with more but smaller fruit and perhaps those weren’t as ripe?
Here’s a picture

Simon

Simon,

I also got to try the Rajapuri mango, we ate it a little soft, but it was just as you described, I loved the piney taste. I have one more that is hard now so I'll try it at a different stage.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2018, 12:57:14 AM »
Mark, I’m glad you enjoyed the Rajapuri as well. I ate a few more Rajapuri Mangos and most of them were excellent as I described above except for the smallest fruit in the box. The smallest fruit was about the size of a commercial Haden and the color was dark green with no yellow blush. This fruit was obviously picked a bit early and lacked the complexity of flavor that the larger fruit with slight yellow blush had.

The smaller Rajapuri was a bit bland with no Guava, Passionfruit or peach flavor. It did have some slight Indian resin taste and was a bit sweet. This under ripe Rajapuri is reminiscent of Banganpalli which I find somewhat bland when compared to other Indian Mangos.

Simon

mwambao

• Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2018, 01:02:25 AM »
Here in Toronto, a box of Alphonso or Kesar go for 9.99 a box

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2018, 07:30:41 PM »
Here’s a description of Mulgova Mangos grown in India.

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=28791.0

So far, the best Indian Mango I’ve had this year is Rajapuri.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2018, 12:21:37 AM »
Thanks to a good friend, I had the opportunity to sample an Imam Passand Mango grown here in SoCal. The Mango was pretty small and fairly round with noticeable lenticels. When I received the mango, it was very green and hard and I did not think it would ripen. After about a week, it softened up so I cut it open tonight. The uncut mango did not have much smell to it but as soon as I cut through the skin, I could immediately smell the unmistakable Indian resin.

The flesh color was yellow with a hint of orange and this mango had a Brix reading of 16%. The flesh had a texture that was slightly firm and slightly bouncy. This slightly bouncy texture is a sign to me that the fruit was picked before its prime. This mango had a sweet taste despite the low Brix reading because there was very little acid balance.

The main flavor was Indian resin in the Banganpalli class. I will have to sample a fully ripened fruit in order to give this variety a fair review. So far, I much prefer Kesar. Here are some pictures of Imam Passand grown in SoCal.

Simon