Author Topic: Dragon Fruit thread.  (Read 940191 times)

TheWaterbug

• Palos Verdes, CA, Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783'
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Fruit thread.
« Reply #900 on: October 20, 2014, 03:00:00 PM »

The larger and best looking fruit came from a 'no name' variety grown by La Verne nursery.

For those who do not live on the West Coast, this is what the Dragon Fruit plant looked like when I bought it from Lowe's.

Looks a lot like the one I bought from Lowe's yesterday! But yours appears to have three plants in the pot, whereas mine has only two.

Mine has the identical La Verne pot wrap that yours does.

The hanging tag on my plant does _not_ say "does not need a pollinator," but I'm presuming that if it's sold as "grow your own, enjoy your harvest" that it would either be self pollinating _or_ contain a warning of some sort. The sticker on my hanging tag does say "Dragon Fruit Pink #2 $14.98" like yours, except $5 bucks cheaper :D
Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783', Frost free since 8,000 BC. Plagued by squirrels, gophers, and peafowl, but coming to terms with it!

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #901 on: October 20, 2014, 03:19:59 PM »
Looks a lot like the one I bought from Lowe's yesterday! But yours appears to have three plants in the pot, whereas mine has only two.

Mine has the identical La Verne pot wrap that yours does.

The hanging tag on my plant does _not_ say "does not need a pollinator," but I'm presuming that if it's sold as "grow your own, enjoy your harvest" that it would either be self pollinating _or_ contain a warning of some sort. The sticker on my hanging tag does say "Dragon Fruit Pink #2 $14.98" like yours, except $5 bucks cheaper :D

Look something like one of these?

When we visited La Verne nursery they told us that it depends on the vendor on price, pot wrap, tag, etc. The plant vendor has to pay extra for the pot wrap.

I bought all the above from Lowe's. Prices varied from small size $5.00 - $20.00.

Basically La Verne has three Dragon Fruit plants that they get cuttings from; a white, pink, and red variety.

They may now have a Yellow Dragon Fruit variety.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 03:22:32 PM by ricshaw »

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: October 21, 2014, 12:51:52 AM »
I just wanted to update that the late crop of DF seem to be a bit sweeter than the early crop. The crop I'm currently harvesting is approximately 1-2% Brix higher than the same fruit harvested earlier in the year. My Halleys Comet is now averaging about 19% Brix and my American Beauty is getting as high as 20 % Brix. My Simons Purple is now on its third crop now, very few fruit, only 4 fruit left hanging and this variety has stayedthe same in terms of sweetness with Brix topping off at 21%.
Simon

Maickel

• Europe, Spain
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: October 23, 2014, 08:52:04 AM »
I heard that the yellow dragon fruit has the beste taste of all them, is that true?
thank you
Mike

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #904 on: October 23, 2014, 12:59:25 PM »
I heard that the yellow dragon fruit has the beste taste of all them, is that true?
thank you
Mike

Taste is subjective.  The Yellow DF is one of the sweetest tasting and does win a lot of taste challenges.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 01:02:35 PM by ricshaw »

Maickel

• Europe, Spain
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: October 25, 2014, 07:12:30 AM »
Ok, that sounds good, i bought some plants and took cuttings from them.
Now my cuestion is:
Is it better to plant the cuttings flat so theres more superficie touching the earth and rooting quicker, or plant it the normal way , sticking one peace in the earth.?

Also i like to know if somebody see dragon fruit growing against a wall, i have several stonewals and want to use them/the space, but what is better, to plant it at the bottom/feet of the wall and let it growing up, against the wall, or planting it on the top of the wall and let it growing down?

The yellow one polynise itself, but can i put red dragon fruit, like  h undatus plant near and will they polynise each other, or are they 2 different families.

thank you

Mike

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #906 on: October 25, 2014, 08:29:56 AM »
Now my cuestion is:
Is it better to plant the cuttings flat so theres more superficie touching the earth and rooting quicker, or plant it the normal way , sticking one peace in the earth.?

Also i like to know if somebody see dragon fruit growing against a wall, i have several stonewals and want to use them/the space, but what is better, to plant it at the bottom/feet of the wall and let it growing up, against the wall, or planting it on the top of the wall and let it growing down?

The yellow one polynise itself, but can i put red dragon fruit, like  h undatus plant near and will they polynise each other, or are they 2 different families.

thank you

Mike

Mike,  I have just started with the Yellow Dragon Fruit variety.
My advice is to plant the cutting the normal way, I do not know anybody who plants DF cuttings flat.  You might want to start the cutting in a pot.
I think planting the DF plant at the bottom of the wall would be better and planting another DF near by is a good idea.

Rannman

• Dragonfruit collector
    • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: October 26, 2014, 08:16:46 AM »
Hi. I just thought I'd share a photo of an Australian grown variety called Jade Red. Quite easy to look at.

Maickel

• Europe, Spain
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: October 26, 2014, 03:02:59 PM »
Now my cuestion is:

thank you

Mike

Mike,  I have just started with the Yellow Dragon Fruit variety.
My advice is to plant the cutting the normal way, I do not know anybody who plants DF cuttings flat.  You might want to start the cutting in a pot.
I think planting the DF plant at the bottom of the wall would be better and planting another DF near by is a good idea.

Thank you Ric, i planted them the normal way in pots, later i wil plant them in the ground.
Mike

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: October 26, 2014, 03:07:09 PM »
Flat dragon fruit cutting rooting may be a good idea in slower draining more wet humid environments to prevent rot. If your not rooting in a container with fast draining soil mix, then it may be a good option.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #910 on: October 26, 2014, 04:18:54 PM »
Flat dragon fruit cutting rooting may be a good idea in slower draining more wet humid environments to prevent rot. If your not rooting in a container with fast draining soil mix, then it may be a good option.

Does that mean flat on the ground surface or buried flat?

Maickel

• Europe, Spain
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: October 26, 2014, 05:01:54 PM »
with the next cuttings y plant them flat, to see the difference.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: October 26, 2014, 06:24:00 PM »

Does that mean flat on the ground surface or buried flat?

Flat on the ground with a little soil around the edges.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Rannman

• Dragonfruit collector
    • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: November 02, 2014, 09:44:31 PM »
Just out of curiosity, does anyone have an opinion on whether an Epiphyllum/Hylocereus cross fruit would have a longer ripening time compared to a Hylocereus fruit?? 

This plant was grown from Asunta seed.

emegar

• Zone 9b/10a, Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: November 04, 2014, 04:09:08 PM »
Here is an update of my Frankie's Red fruit. They seem to be growing larger than what I expected. Frankie's Red appears like it will fill the void between the regular DF and the Yellow megalanthus. Anyone have pictures showing the final size or perhaps the inside of a Frankie's Red? Any additional information on Frankie's Red is greatly appreciated.

Simon

Simon,

Any update on your Frankie's Red fruit?
James

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #915 on: November 04, 2014, 04:47:15 PM »
Hey emegar, I just updated on the thread Frankies Red. I just harvested a large fruit but I may have over watered because the Brix was only 16%. I still have more on the vine and some are still green so I will have a long DragonFruit season.

Simon

emegar

• Zone 9b/10a, Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: November 05, 2014, 11:33:25 AM »
There was some work published that said if the pollen is dried first it can keep in the refrigerator for a fairly long time, even longer if it is frozen.  I'll look up the reference at work tomorrow.

Richard

That would be some quite valuable datas....

The paper is Metz et al., Hortscience 35(2):199-201, 2000

Their results are that after drying the pollen under vacuum for 1 -2 hours. pollen stored in a freezer still gives 100% fruit set and normal sized fruit after 9 months of storage in a freezer.  Fruit set with dried pollen stored in a refrigerator was 60-70% with smaller fruits, but they still got fruit.

I am trying this myself, using dried stored pollen, and can let you know how it works  in a couple of months (just attempted the pollination on Tuesday)
Richard

Richard,

I don't recall seeing you update with the results of your stored pollen experiment.  Can you fill us in on how well the dessicated pollen worked?

James
James

adalmoro

• Brazil, MS, Campo Grande.
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Pitaya Dragon Fruit Photos
« Reply #917 on: November 05, 2014, 04:47:39 PM »
Frankies Red?!
I have some photos on this link:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/adalmoro/sets/72157629983253795/
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 02:52:36 AM by adalmoro »

TheWaterbug

• Palos Verdes, CA, Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783'
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: November 05, 2014, 05:32:59 PM »
Look something like one of these?
<picture><picture><picture>

Grrr. I wish I'd kept the tag. I'm pretty sure it was the middle (pink) one.

I'm intrigued by your last photo, too. Did you wrap the horizontal growth up around your support post? The plant I bought I growing outward, and it's only about 2' tall. I'd read that I should prune off some/all of the horizontal growth to promote verticality, but if I can just train it upward, would that accomplish the same thing and preserve a bunch of viable plant material?
Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783', Frost free since 8,000 BC. Plagued by squirrels, gophers, and peafowl, but coming to terms with it!

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: November 05, 2014, 05:53:23 PM »

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #920 on: November 05, 2014, 05:54:27 PM »
I'm intrigued by your last photo, too. Did you wrap the horizontal growth up around your support post? The plant I bought I growing outward, and it's only about 2' tall. I'd read that I should prune off some/all of the horizontal growth to promote verticality, but if I can just train it upward, would that accomplish the same thing and preserve a bunch of viable plant material?

The second photo (below) I took at La Verne Nursery and is one of the parent DF plants they get their cuttings from.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 05:56:00 PM by ricshaw »

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: November 07, 2014, 01:02:46 PM »
I just don't get it. We bought one purple/pink Dragon fruit from somewhere that was delicious and sweet. This was about a year ago. Since then I have bought Dragon fruit from various sources (stores and local nurseries where I know the variety) and it's like eating a sad, flavorless kiwi. I don't know if my taste buds changed, if I'm not eating them at proper ripeness, or what.

Kinda glad at this point that the lawn men butchered my two plants.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: November 07, 2014, 01:19:23 PM »
I have a natural mystic ripening on the counter.  Hopefully that will solve your/our problem.  I love the way they look, but need to taste some elite types.  Hoping NM is the first of many good-tasting DFs
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Rtreid

• Zone 10a Sunset zone 24
  • Zone 10a, Sunset 24, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: November 07, 2014, 03:46:44 PM »
There was some work published that said if the pollen is dried first it can keep in the refrigerator for a fairly long time, even longer if it is frozen.  I'll look up the reference at work tomorrow.

Richard

That would be some quite valuable datas....

The paper is Metz et al., Hortscience 35(2):199-201, 2000

Their results are that after drying the pollen under vacuum for 1 -2 hours. pollen stored in a freezer still gives 100% fruit set and normal sized fruit after 9 months of storage in a freezer.  Fruit set with dried pollen stored in a refrigerator was 60-70% with smaller fruits, but they still got fruit.

I am trying this myself, using dried stored pollen, and can let you know how it works  in a couple of months (just attempted the pollination on Tuesday)
Richard

Richard,

I don't recall seeing you update with the results of your stored pollen experiment.  Can you fill us in on how well the dessicated pollen worked?

James

James,

Thanks for the reminder. In a nutshell, the dehydrated and frozen pollen from Arizona Purple (AKA 8-S)  was able to successfully pollenate Zamorano  and Cebra.   I was able to use Zamorano pollen to pollenate Houghton, Purple Haze and Arizona Purple.  Interestingly, when I tried to use dehydrated and frozen pollen from Cereus peruvianus, no dragon fruit were pollenated while using the same pollen fresh, I had about 80% success.

I am going to check some of my frozen pollen to see if they are still viable.

Richard

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: November 07, 2014, 04:36:42 PM »
I have a natural mystic ripening on the counter.  Hopefully that will solve your/our problem.  I love the way they look, but need to taste some elite types.  Hoping NM is the first of many good-tasting DFs

I assume you got it from the same place I did last Sunday. I ate one right away and waited on the other until yesterday. Both were totally bland.