Author Topic: Does anybody know where I can buy texas Persimmons and get it shipped to Arizona  (Read 2663 times)

Nosari7Viper

• United States, Gilbert, AZ
    • View Profile
Does anybody know where I can buy texas Persimmons and get it shipped to Arizona?

lavender87

• USA, GA, Smyrna, 8a
    • View Profile
As far as I know there was no such tree named Texas persimmon. There are currently more than 2000 different types of persimmon trees. Most of edible Persimmon type came from Asia (China, Japan). Persimmon trees we usually purchased in the US are grafted on Native Persimmon (Virginiana persimmon). There are some hybrid types between American and Asian persimmon which offer good taste, but the native persimmon was absolutely horrible and its fruits were used to cattles like horse, cow...

Nosari7Viper

• View Profile
Texas persimmon's Scientific name: Diospyros texana
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 01:58:50 AM »
The Scientific name for Texas persimmon is, Diospyros texana

mikkel

• Lueneburg, Germany Zone 7
    • View Profile
I saw seeds on ebay some years ago.

Nosari7Viper

• View Profile
Texas persimmon seeds
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 04:02:07 PM »
EBay does not have it anymore, but thank you

Nosari7Viper

• View Profile
So again, Does anybody know where I can buy texas Persimmons and get it shipped to Arizona?

mygc

• Australia, Victoria, Melbourne, 10a
    • View Profile
Hi there,
You can buy seeds from here, they're based in the US (and ship worldwide).
http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/diospyros-texana-texas-persimmon-seeds
They've got some other Native American Diospyros/persimmon seeds in stock at the moment as well (from Baja California in Mexico). Cheers
Marcus

directrepeat

• Austin, Texas USA zone 8b
    • View Profile
I live where this species is endemic. If you put a note on your calendar for August and send me a message I can collect fruits or seeds for you. There is a very large specimen tree just down the street from me. I collected fruit last summer and they were delicious.

Reedo

• Santa Cruz, CA - zone 9b
    • View Profile
I live where this species is endemic. If you put a note on your calendar for August and send me a message I can collect fruits or seeds for you. There is a very large specimen tree just down the street from me. I collected fruit last summer and they were delicious.

Any chance you have some leftover seed? I'd be interesteed.

drymifolia

• Seattle 9a/sunset zone 5
    • View Profile
    • the drymifolia collective

Any chance you'd be willing to collect scionwood this winter?

D-Grower

• United States, Florida, zone 8
    • View Profile
I have some seeds available. Already being stratified.
Trying to grow it all!

D-Grower

• United States, Florida, zone 8
    • View Profile
As far as I know there was no such tree named Texas persimmon. There are currently more than 2000 different types of persimmon trees. Most of edible Persimmon type came from Asia (China, Japan). Persimmon trees we usually purchased in the US are grafted on Native Persimmon (Virginiana persimmon). There are some hybrid types between American and Asian persimmon which offer good taste, but the native persimmon was absolutely horrible and its fruits were used to cattles like horse, cow...

American persimmon fruits are really good you just need to know when they are ready to eat. When they fall freely from the tree and are squishy to the point you'd think they are too far gone is when they are actually ready to eat. They will loose all astringency and be really sweet and good. I'm sure some trees produce fruit lessly good than others but in my experience most are pretty good when fully ripe.
Trying to grow it all!