Author Topic: Need help with 40 yr old Haden mango tree-Treasure Coast, FL  (Read 2050 times)

lindabls

• Treasure Coast, FL
    • View Profile
Need help with 40 yr old Haden mango tree-Treasure Coast, FL
« on: November 10, 2013, 09:00:13 AM »
In 2003, we bought a house with a 30 yr old Haden mango tree in the back yard. Knowing nothing about mango trees, we were grateful that a neighbor fertilized it and provided his TLC. It was the pride of the neighborhood and produced at least 1000 amazing fruits every season. Even after the 2004 hurricanes when several large limbs were lost, the Grand Dame continued to grace us with her bounty. Unfortunately, the neighbor passed away several years ago and, although we THINK we have followed his fertilizing regimen, the tree has ceased her abundant production over the past 3 years to the point that no fruits ripened last year.  :'( She begins to flower in December and fruits appear in March with complete ripening in May and June.

We need your experience and advice to try to bring the lady back to her glory, if possible.

bangkok

• View Profile
Re: Need help with 40 yr old Haden mango tree-Treasure Coast, FL
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 09:30:53 AM »
A picture of the Grande Dame here would help a lot.

click on "add image to post" and select the pic.

lindabls

• Treasure Coast, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 12:18:46 PM »
Here a couple of pics of her crowning glory. Sorry for the delay - technical difficulties with a dinosaur phone and Windows 8 - grrr!

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 01:14:21 PM »
What fertilizers have you been using?

lindabls

• Treasure Coast, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 01:21:00 PM »
Vigoro 6-4-6

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 01:23:18 PM »
My recommendation would be to not do anything for about a year, let it rest. Then, on March, softly fertilize it near the so called "drip line." Do not fertilize any closer near the trunk of the tree, and this is what I would do.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

lindabls

• Treasure Coast, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 01:40:27 PM »
Leooel, any recommendation for fertilizer?

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2013, 02:00:24 PM »
Use Potash only, something in the 0-0-50 or 0-0-25 ranges.  The 0-0-50 will run about 50 cents a pound. On a tree that size I would hit it right about now with about 50 lbs near the drip line and maybe use a minor nutrient drench (if deficiencies are observed).  Otherwise, that tree will produce tons of fruit when the season is right, the last year or so haven't been "average" seasons for mango trees.

lindabls

• Treasure Coast, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2013, 02:07:00 PM »
Thank you so much, Patrick. We are really worried about the Grand Dame.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2013, 11:46:51 PM »
I'm no expert but I've had plants that weren't doing very well with N-P-K fertilizers and then I hit the plants with kelp extract and incorporated lots of organic compost into the topsoil around my trees and I saw a drastic improvement over the next several months. A good layer of mulch about 4-6 inches thick around the tree may also benefit the tree.

You can also contact your local Ag agency to do an analysis of your soil to see if you have too much or not enough of something. The tree could also possibly need some rejuvenating pruning as some older branches may have become unfruitful. Good luck and please keep us updated.
Simon