Author Topic: Need help to chose pawpaw varieties  (Read 2488 times)

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
Need help to chose pawpaw varieties
« on: February 14, 2020, 01:15:55 AM »
I want to buy a few trees from somme varietyes i dont know and couldnt find much informations about with Google.
The varietyes are Nyomis delicious,wells delight and wilson.

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
Re: Need help to chose pawpaw varieties
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2020, 10:36:03 AM »
I have not tasted any of those myself, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Nyomi's Delicious:
Here is the description from England's Orchard (you probably have seen this already) - "Original trees grown in Berea, Kentucky and is a local favorite of the neighborhood. Light yellow fruit with no after taste. Very heavy producer of 10 to 12 oz. pawpaw fruit that are 4 to 6 inches long. Hangs in cluster of 4's and 5's."

A friend and pawpaw connoisseur said it was "good."  So, if you have room and like to have less-common varieties, i would consider it.

Wells:
I have not heard of Wells Delight. That's probably a mix-up. There is further confusion because supposedly there are 2 "Wells" clones in circulation. Either way, from what I have heard generally this is not a desirable variety. I have seen one cluster of Wells and the fruits were tiny. Of course, that could have been a fluke. Sheri Crabtree at Kentucky State specifically advised me against planting it.

Wilson:
At the 4th International Pawpaw Conference in 2016, Wilson variety was the constant butt of jokes. Neal Peterson particularly was adamantly against this variety and couldn't understand why anyone was propagating it!  That's all i know about it.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2020, 06:14:38 PM »
Thank you! I take your advice as your the biggest connoiseur of pawpaws i know.
These varietyes were quite cheap and i will chose Nyomis delicious .
The otther 2 i want to buy are mango G2 and a white flesh variety called Al horns.
Mango ive heard its good but makes few fruits and al horn has white flesh.
3 of these varieties cost as much as a Prima so they are cheap.
I have one Prima,one sunflower and 2 seedlings .
This spring i want to plant a few more pawpaw trees.

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2020, 07:26:27 PM »
Good deal!
Definitely of those three I would choose Nyomi.

A friend I know is a big fan of Al Horn. I have tasted it twice. The circumstances were not ideal either time, but my friend says it has a coconut flavor. I have noticed this a little but again the fruits were not best condition.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2020, 07:35:23 PM »
Good deal!
Definitely of those three I would choose Nyomi.

A friend I know is a big fan of Al Horn. I have tasted it twice. The circumstances were not ideal either time, but my friend says it has a coconut flavor. I have noticed this a little but again the fruits were not best condition.
Thx,il order Nyomi,Al horn was allready on the list because its white flesh,and mango g2 because its the cheapest of all these varietyes.

PaulD

• Ronda, NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2020, 08:27:53 AM »
I grow NC-1, Taylor, Sunflower, Mango, and Penn Golden.  Of these, Sunflower and NC-1 flowered and held fruit in the 4th year.  All others flowered but did not hold fruit.  Sunflower was delicious and NC-1 a little less good. 

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2020, 10:01:58 AM »
I grow NC-1, Taylor, Sunflower, Mango, and Penn Golden.  Of these, Sunflower and NC-1 flowered and held fruit in the 4th year.  All others flowered but did not hold fruit.  Sunflower was delicious and NC-1 a little less good.

Just for clarification - yours held fruit in the first season they flowered? Or had they flowered earlier without setting/holding fruit? 

usirius

• Never give up!
    • Southern Germany, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2020, 04:28:14 PM »
I would prefer Prima 1216 and Susquehanna concerning fruit size and and the percentage of seeds. Sunflower is worthy due to a well Setting of fruits worthy to be planted (self fertile) but for me ist  fruits are not as tastful than fruits of Prima 1216 and Susquehanna.
„May your choices reflect your hopes, not your fears.“ N. Mandela

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2020, 05:56:11 PM »
I couldnt order those varietyes of pawpaws that Triloba tracker advised me ,because the seller didnt responded my phone calls and whatsapp messages.
I got a little upset but i bought instead 2 really big cherimoya trees,potted and 4 cm ( 2 inch) thick trunks.

Usirius,Susquehanna its what i want to have next.I only have a Prima and a sunflower grafted.
In Romania ,Prima and Sunflower are the only varietyes available.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2020, 06:59:51 AM »
The 2 big cherimoya i got instead of the pawpaws that the seller didnt responded to phone calls.
Will be planting them in the ground inside the greenhouse.

usirius

• Never give up!
    • Southern Germany, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2020, 06:01:59 AM »
Usirius,Susquehanna its what i want to have next.I only have a Prima and a sunflower grafted.
In Romania ,Prima and Sunflower are the only varietyes available.

I do have one Susquehanna available with has a damaged tap root - if you like to have it and shipping to romania is allowed I can offer selling and shipping of it to you.
„May your choices reflect your hopes, not your fears.“ N. Mandela