Author Topic: White sapote seed doesn’t sprout  (Read 691 times)

Rauf

• Azerbaijan, Apsheron, Baku, 8b-9a
    • View Profile
White sapote seed doesn’t sprout
« on: September 14, 2020, 07:23:04 AM »
In April I’ve ordered ten white sapote seeds on  Ebay from USA. Because of pandemic they came only after month and partially rotted. Just for experiment I wrapped they in wet paper and put in plastic bag. Then changed the paper every second day. When they appeared completely rotted threw them out. Eventually when only two left I noticed small outgrowth in the middle of one, carefully cleaned the rotted soft part( about half of seed) and put again in bag. After one week it sprouted small root. When it reached 2 inches I put it in  pot with soil mixture. Now 3 months left but there’s no changes above the surface. The seed is greenish and I can see the origin of the roots, white and quiet thick, so it’s obviously isn’t dead. You can see on picture second seed, which I cleaned too, it made root a week later, was also put in pot and now about 15  inches tall. Did someone see something like that ? What do you think, will it eventually sprout or there’s no chances and I loose my time?

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
Re: White sapote seed doesn’t sprout
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2020, 10:41:07 AM »
The soil mix looks like it is soaked. The seed will rot. Try putting it in a less soaked mix.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 11:55:44 AM by Jaboticaba45 »

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2020, 11:58:21 AM »
They can take a while to sprout. Just plant them in soil next time don't put them in wet plastic bags. You may have broken the root when you transplanted it, but it may grow a new root. I planted four this year, three from one tree and one from another. The three from one tree all sprouted maybe a month earlier than the other, but that one is now the biggest. Your one survivor is looking good though, much bigger than mine, planted about the same time.

Francis_Eric

• 40 miles west of Chicago Aurora IL ZONE 5
    • View Profile
    • https://myspace.com/undisclosedforthetime/
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2020, 12:24:32 PM »
I'd take that pot put it upside down into a empty bag,
add very dry soil mix to that bag with the previous wet soil.
repot or whatever.

If you squeeze the soil it should not drip wet the new roots need the oxygen.
You can soak the seed in pure warm water for a day (but not having it sit in soaking soil it takes time to drain )..

When I gift people plants that over water their plants I add a lot of perlite.

Rauf

• Azerbaijan, Apsheron, Baku, 8b-9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2020, 02:23:54 AM »
Thanks everyone for advices. I"ve put pot with seed out of watering dropper in more sunny place and let the soil dry a little. Wait for results-)