Author Topic: Help with identification of a fruit from a tree in Guanacaste Costa Rica  (Read 741 times)

JoshuaTilaranCR

• Los Angeles, Tilaran, Guanacaste, Costa Rica
    • View Profile
My wife brought me some of these fruits home from her morning walk because she thought they were loquats. Even the darkest, ripest one is super astringent. Here are some pictures

Cali-gal

• Camarillo, CA
    • View Profile
Re: Help with identification of a fruit from a tree in Guanacaste Costa Rica
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2020, 07:34:23 PM »
Could that be jocote? I saw that everywhere in the Guanacaste region.

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2020, 09:24:07 PM »
Maybe Eugenia hiraeifolia? The fruit are very Eugenia-like, especially the four persistent calyxes. Looking at Myrtaceae in Costa Rica on iNaturalist and saw this pretty close match. https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/978489-Eugenia-hiraeifolia/browse_photos

JoshuaTilaranCR

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2020, 10:35:39 AM »
Could that be jocote? I saw that everywhere in the Guanacaste region.

Thanks for the reply but no, definitely not Jocote. The leaves of Jocote are like ambarella leaves with leaflets coming from one main stem and these are wide and flat, more resembling a cashew or almond here

JoshuaTilaranCR

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2020, 10:38:09 AM »
Maybe Eugenia hiraeifolia? The fruit are very Eugenia-like, especially the four persistent calyxes. Looking at Myrtaceae in Costa Rica on iNaturalist and saw this pretty close match. https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/978489-Eugenia-hiraeifolia/browse_photos
Thanks I'll check out that link! In my little knowledge I thought it was a cherry of the Rio grande from the shape but when I looked that up I saw the calyxes were much longer. I did try to look up eugenias in Costa Rica because of the resemblance but didn't get very far

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk