Author Topic: Transplant sad passion vine to clay soil? Will I kill it?  (Read 1815 times)

smartdriver

• East Los Angeles/ Alhambra, CA 10A
    • View Profile
Transplant sad passion vine to clay soil? Will I kill it?
« on: October 17, 2018, 08:25:14 PM »
Seems like my passion fruit vine is out of breath in the small bucket. I plan to transplant it to the clay soil and dress it on top with the 1. Screened compost and 3. Mulch. And plenty of water  everyday for 2 weeks Morning/evening,  1 week every other day , there after 2 day a week.
Will my plant survive or do I need to prep my soil in another way?

I try to soak the soil but it doesn’t absorb, look at picture labeled #4, #4A when I turned the soil, it’s still dry underneath.

Thank you for any help.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 08:40:49 PM by smartdriver »

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Transplant sad passion vine to clay soil? Will I kill it?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 09:14:29 PM »
Looks like your very dry soil is shedding the water. I would mix in the screened compost with the soil and water slowly over a few days to get it wet. It may take some time. Some people use hair shampoo as an additive to water as a surfactant which may help, don't use too much, maybe a spoonful per 5 gallon bucket. The shampoo ingredient list should include sodium or ammonium laurel sulphate, an anionic surfactant.

smartdriver

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 09:23:00 PM »
Looks like your very dry soil is shedding the water. I would mix in the screened compost with the soil and water slowly over a few days to get it wet. It may take some time. Some people use hair shampoo as an additive to water as a surfactant which may help, don't use too much, maybe a spoonful per 5 gallon bucket. The shampoo ingredient list should include sodium or ammonium laurel sulphate, an anionic surfactant.

I was going to use a 5 gallon bucket of sand to loosen up the dirt, do you think it will work?

So_Cal_Mike

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 11:05:37 PM »
Gypsum is a good additive for breaking up heavy clay soil. Pretty sure you can get a bag of it at HD pretty cheaply.
My passion fruit vine really took off and did much better in the ground than in a pot. Though it was hammered by that heat wave that we experienced this year, but I was away when it hit and couldn’t water when it needed it most.
[size=85]Sunset Zone: 21 • USDA Zone: 10a • AHS Heat Zone: 6-7[/size]

smartdriver

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 04:30:05 PM »
What it looks like mixing in half bucket of sand. Couldn’t get to the store to buy gypsum yet.

smartdriver

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2018, 04:53:02 PM »
10/20/2018 1:50pm
Not looking promising to use gypsum.

Gypsum is a good additive for breaking up heavy clay soil. Pretty sure you can get a bag of it at HD pretty cheaply.
My passion fruit vine really took off and did much better in the ground than in a pot. Though it was hammered by that heat wave that we experienced this year, but I was away when it hit and couldn’t water when it needed it most.

zephian

• USA, CA, Yuba City Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2018, 05:03:29 PM »

I was going to use a 5 gallon bucket of sand to loosen up the dirt, do you think it will work?
Doesn't sand + Clay (and organic material such as straw) make Adobe? I haven't tried it without compacting it but I would think that would make the soil worse.
-Kris

smartdriver

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2018, 05:54:20 PM »
I don’t want to make adobe.

Sigh. Am I posting on wrong forum?

Doesn't sand + Clay (and organic material such as straw) make Adobe? I haven't tried it without compacting it but I would think that would make the soil worse.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2018, 09:08:32 PM »
I think you are in the right place. Its clear you are new and hope we haven't confused you. All of us struggle getting started and have success and some failures. I hope your planter box grows well for you. Remember that most failures of containerized gardens stem from overwatering you need to check down into the soil and keep it moist but not sopping wet, hope it has some drainage to avoid that. Try some simple things if winter melons grew well before and you like them try that. Some beans, cucumbers, etc are cheap and easy things to start with. Good luck!

smartdriver

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2018, 01:42:31 PM »
Thank you pineislander. Now I have to wait and see, hardest part, patience.

Lucky I didn’t try gypsum, but it was a valid suggestion.

I think you are in the right place. Its clear you are new and hope we haven't confused you. All of us struggle getting started and have success and some failures. I hope your planter box grows well for you. Remember that most failures of containerized gardens stem from overwatering you need to check down into the soil and keep it moist but not sopping wet, hope it has some drainage to avoid that. Try some simple things if winter melons grew well before and you like them try that. Some beans, cucumbers, etc are cheap and easy things to start with. Good luck!

Jct

• Zone 10b
    • San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2018, 04:36:50 PM »
I believe that passionfruit vines do not like wet feet.  Near the place were I wanted to plant mine tended to collect water, so after excavating a hole, I backfilled the hole with soil amendments to raise a mound and then planted the vine.  Seems to have worked as I have several dozens of fruit ripening right now (after getting a couple of dozen earlier this year) on a one year vine.  Under decent conditions they really like to grow, so you will need some sort of trellis.
LaVerne Manila Mango; Pixie Crunch, Honeycrisp & Gala Apple Trees; Violette De Bordeaux & Black Mission Fig; Santa Rosa Plum & Snow Queen Nectarine; Nagami Kumquat, Pixie Tangerine, Lemon, Australian Finger Lime & Washington Navel Citrus; White & Red Dragon Fruit; Miracle Berry Plant

bbudd

• thailand,chiang rai
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2018, 07:54:10 PM »
My passion fruit vines are also in a clay soil-but only after adding a good compost and some dry manure
Also recommend planting in raised mound-they don't tolerate wet feet
The sand when it eventually mixes with clay just makes it harder-not a good solution