Author Topic: Anyone growing Cempedak in Southern California?  (Read 2893 times)

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
Anyone growing Cempedak in Southern California?
« on: June 24, 2019, 07:27:56 PM »

Never heard that anyone growing Cempedak here in California. It is not as popular as Durian or Jackfruit of course. But my palate loves Cempedak more than durian or jackfruit. It is juicier, sweeter, with the mix of bubble gum and cotton candy aroma. I can find fresh durian or jackfruit in the Asian market sometimes, but never see any cempedak (maybe because it is not as popular).
There is a seller offering a 3 ft Cempedak tree for only $40 on ebay, I am tempted to get it but afraid to get heartbroken if it will never bear fruit here (Los Angeles zone 10A).

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone growing Cempedak in Southern California?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 07:47:24 PM »
Best to buy 100 seeds of chempedak. Try to germinate as many as you can and see what ones survive after growing outside. Out of those ones it may be 10 year or so until you even get a chance for possible fruit. Unfortunately many may never fruit in SoCal.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 09:28:00 PM »
Best to buy 100 seeds of chempedak. Try to germinate as many as you can and see what ones survive after growing outside. Out of those ones it may be 10 year or so until you even get a chance for possible fruit. Unfortunately many may never fruit in SoCal.

Thanks!

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 10:28:46 PM »
Here is a pic of 2 year old chempedak seedling in the yard in Florida. The higher humidity and warmer nights really help propel growth.

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2019, 02:03:10 AM »
Make sure the seller is in U.S, Hawaii, or Puerto Rico. If outside of those places, good luck. Make sure it's a true chempedak and not a chempajack (Artocarpus integer crossed with A. heterophyllus (jackfruit) which is hardier but less tasty (if memory serves).
-Chris

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2019, 02:11:57 AM »
I kept one through a mild winter here which would be similar to there I imagine. Second winter was harsh and killed it. It grew well over summer.

Mine looked different to nullzero’s. It had duller leaves than jackfruit and was ‘hairy’.

I had tried earlier with bought potted plants and they always died soon after planting. The answer was planting seeds in place.

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2019, 03:28:08 AM »
Here is a pic of 2 year old chempedak seedling in the yard in Florida. The higher humidity and warmer nights really help propel growth.

The leaves look like the one I saw in Asia. Did you do extra protection during the winter?

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2019, 03:31:14 AM »
I kept one through a mild winter here which would be similar to there I imagine. Second winter was harsh and killed it. It grew well over summer.

Mine looked different to nullzero’s. It had duller leaves than jackfruit and was ‘hairy’.

I had tried earlier with bought potted plants and they always died soon after planting. The answer was planting seeds in place.

Looks like it does need frost blanket during the winter. It is interesting how it always dies after transplant. I actually killed some jackfruit seedlings this year when I moved them from smaller pots to bigger ones.

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2019, 04:03:46 AM »
I don’t know that it always does but that was something I struggled with until I planted straight in the ground. It took off over summer here but didn’t stand a chance that second winter.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2019, 08:10:16 AM »
No frost protection just in microclimate in yard part shade at edge of live oak canopy. We will see how it handles 30s. Coldest yard sees is mid 30s. This spot probably does not get colder then high 30s. So far tree has seen 44f or so.

OCchris1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2019, 01:10:27 AM »
True Cempedak seeds are notoriously hard to grow...well, easy to start and then they "mysteriously" die out of the blue. I've grown them to a foot and then "pow"- dead.
-Chris

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2019, 05:49:42 AM »
I tried several types Cempedak seeds, about 8 Cultivars. Two of Them are doing ok but the rest are dead or struggling. And those two are Durian Cempedak (from the local supermarket) and Pink Cempedak from Han Sen.

Moh'd

OCchris1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2019, 01:55:02 AM »
I had some nice Chempedak seeds from Han Sen as well but they were dug up and eaten by some animals.  >:(
-Chris

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2019, 08:10:22 AM »
I had some nice Chempedak seeds from Han Sen as well but they were dug up and eaten by some animals.  >:(

Sorry to hear that.

If you are going to grow other species of Artocarpus, I recommend Artocarpus rigidus, they are easy to grow.
Moh'd