Author Topic: Flying Fox Fruits Nursery  (Read 283053 times)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Just wanted to say thank you, Adam, for the tour so I got to see your nice plants and even pick some fruits to taste, for the bonus plants you were so kind to give me, for all your advice and tips on grafting (and I forgot about loquat scions). We even brought some of your big mosquitoes home, haha, thanks to my husband. BTW, Jabos are delicious. Replanted all my new "babies" and gave them a nice place in a greenhouse. It was nice to meet you.  ;)

Galka,

thanks for coming out to visit the nursery, and supporting me!  I'm glad I had some fruit for you to taste today!

sorry about the Gallinipper Mosquitoes...they are scary!  After the sun goes down, they come out like vampires!

good luck with the small plants you got. 

Let me know if you need scions, or advice with grafting!  The time to start is now!!  You will be able to expand your collection much faster, and cheaper!   sometimes the only way to get the really rare stuff, is to graft it yourself!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
Yeah, I need some scions. Since I have two overgrown seedlings I would like to try to graft 4 different varieties. What do you think? I need to take pics of my seedlings, so you can see what I'm talking about.

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
Here is the picture.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Sorry to barge in on the conversation Galka but you may want to consider topping your seedling Loquat very low, leaving perhaps 4 leaves below the cut so that new sprouts will come up that you can graft. If you graft your tree too high up, it will grow several more feet before it flowers and fruits and the fruit will be difficult to protect and harvest.

Adam, can you ship your Jaboticaba trees to California yet? Thanks,
Simon

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
Sorry to barge in on the conversation Galka but you may want to consider topping your seedling Loquat very low, leaving perhaps 4 leaves below the cut so that new sprouts will come up that you can graft. If you graft your tree too high up, it will grow several more feet before it flowers and fruits and the fruit will be difficult to protect and harvest.

Simon

Simon, thank you for the advice. So I should top it and wait for the new sprouts before purchasing the scions? How long they should get to be ready for grafting?

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Simon,

glad you posted this good advice.  Please feel free to barge in anytime!

I'm still waiting on my test results from the USDA...the suspense is nauseating.

Glaka,

If you bring that tree here, I can graft it for you, or show you how to graft it.

there is a way to graft it down low....I would use an offset cleft graft (that's what I call them anyhow...not sure of the actual name, but it's like a cleft, but offset to compensate for the size discrepancy of the rootstock and scion)

if you can't bring it, I can try to walk you through it but it's hard to explain...the graft can be dangerous if you are not careful...and if your knife is dull...the old wood of a loquat can be very hard, and difficult to cut....but it's not as bad as jaboticaba  ;)

Simon
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
Adam, bringing the tree to you and safe grafting sounds good to me. I'll see what I can do. May be able to swing by next Sat but can't say for sure yet. I'll bring some fig cuttings then.  ;)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Adam, bringing the tree to you and safe grafting sounds good to me. I'll see what I can do. May be able to swing by next Sat but can't say for sure yet. I'll bring some fig cuttings then.  ;)

no problem, no rush.

thanks for remembering the fig cuttings...i love unusual figs
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
Simon,

I'm still waiting on my test results from the USDA...the suspense is nauseating.

That's how I feel every time...opening this thread.... When you update it....
Hoping it goes through for you, making backup plans for a Nevada address. 8) :-X

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
hahaha

that's the ticket.

but to put things in perspective...

i have lots of plants that I started this year, that should be free of nematodes...I used sterile soil, and new pots, and kept them off the ground on benches.

but... i have lots of nursery stock that was on the ground before, that has been recently placed on benches, and other stock that is currently on the ground now, so they are really the ones in question.

if they pass the test, I will be able to send some decent sized plants to all 50 states and a very large selection of rare species.

if not, I think the chances are very high, that I will be able to send my smaller seedlings that I started this year....If they're infested with nematodes, then I will be really discouraged...I did everything by the book!  I pray the chances are low like I'm guessing they are.

Simon,

Hoping it goes through for you, making backup plans for a Nevada address. 8) :-X
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

raimeiken

• Zone: 9b
    • View Profile
Simon,

I'm in the same boat lol! Every time I see a new post in the thread I'm hoping it's good news.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Simon,

Glaka,

If you bring that tree here, I can graft it for you, or show you how to graft it.

there is a way to graft it down low....I would use an offset cleft graft (that's what I call them anyhow...not sure of the actual name, but it's like a cleft, but offset to compensate for the size discrepancy of the rootstock and scion)

if you can't bring it, I can try to walk you through it but it's hard to explain...the graft can be dangerous if you are not careful...and if your knife is dull...the old wood of a loquat can be very hard, and difficult to cut....but it's not as bad as jaboticaba  ;)

Simon

Are you sure that was USDA that is looking at your set up for nematode certificate? Here that is done by Hawaii state agriculture department. USDA is only for international shipments. State agriculture departments are for shipments interstate.
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Oscar,

i think you're right...thanks for the correction.

all these agencies, I get confused...but an agent came out to take soil samples...and I'm waiting on the results regardless.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Oscar,

all these agencies, I get confused...but an agent came out to take soil samples...and I'm waiting on the results regardless.

I'm sure you'll pass Adam. As long as benches are 3 feet of the ground, the ground is paved or gravelled, there are no overhanging limbs over the benches, and you used sterile medium => no way nematodes are going to get in.
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
GOT THE NEWS TODAY:

MY NURSERY HAS BEEN CERTIFIED!

IT'S ON!

THE FLYING FOX WILL BE MAKING DELIVERIES TO ALL 50 STATES

(MORE DEVELOPMENTS COMING SOON, STILL HAVE TO SET A FEW THINGS UP BEFORE I CAN SHIP)

Dear Mr. Shafran:
Expires: April 28, 2016

A recent inspection of your nursery described below has been completed and found to be apparently free from burrowing and reniform nematode.

Your plant material listed below and grown according to California requirements, at the locations described above, meet the nematode certification requirements for all states and Bermuda.

All plants shipped in cell packs; 4”, 1 gallon, 3 gallon pots.
1.   Ananas comosus
2.   Annona sp.
3.   Artocarpus sp.
4.   Eriobotrya japonica
5.   Eugenia sp.
6.   Ficus carica
7.   Garcinia sp.
8.   Grewia asiatica
9.   Malpighia sp.
10.   Myrciaria sp.
11. Morus sp.
12. Muntingia calabura
13. Pouteria sp.
14. Smallanthus sp.
15. Synsepalum sp.

Oscar,

I'm sure you'll pass Adam. As long as benches are 3 feet of the ground, the ground is paved or gravelled, there are no overhanging limbs over the benches, and you used sterile medium => no way nematodes are going to get in.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
Great news! Can't wait to see the list of plants to buy, or can I just enquire via e-mail now regarding all the plants that I want that I know your holding?  :D

raimeiken

• Zone: 9b
    • View Profile
woohoo!

now how much will shipping be to AZ, and will a phyto still be needed?

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
woohoo!

phyto is required and must be issued by the state of AZ (I believe).  I will call the FL state department of Ag (not USDA, thanks for correction Oscar  ;) ) to find out tomorrow.

Being that you are in the one state that requires a phyto, I will give you a great price on shipping (cheaper than anyone in the business, I can promise you that), but I don't know how much or how difficult it is to get a phyto!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Hey Adam where are the mangos? I didn't see them on the list

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
Awesome!
Shane

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Hey Adam where are the mangos? I didn't see them on the list

JF,

I will eventually have to update my list with the department of Ag...

i forgot to include Mangifera sp..

but honestly i don't propagate many of them...Zill's dominates the industry so well, that I refuse to compete with them.

I'm trying to dominate like them, but in the realm of Myrciarias and Eugenias (Annonas, and Garcinias).

the only mangoes I would be offering for sale in CA would be the ones that Zill doesn't produce....such as the varieties from Merritt Island (and others that are not commonly available)....but I have no idea when I will graft mangoes...too many other rare plants to graft!

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Marsbars

• CA 10a
    • View Profile
woohoo!

phyto is required and must be issued by the state of AZ (I believe).  I will call the FL state department of Ag (not USDA, thanks for correction Oscar  ;) ) to find out tomorrow.

Being that you are in the one state that requires a phyto, I will give you a great price on shipping (cheaper than anyone in the business, I can promise you that), but I don't know how much or how difficult it is to get a phyto!

I  am quite ignorant about these phyto certificates and online buying of seeds. I've read previous threads on the forum. My questions are If I buy seeds/seedlings from you Adam will I need a phyto? (I'm in California).  If so, how does one obtain seeds with the phyto?  And also, is the difference between the certificate and a seed lots permit?

Mariano
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 09:47:17 PM by Marsbars »

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
I  am quite ignorant about these phyto certificates and online buying of seeds. I've read previous threads on the forum. My questions are If I buy seeds/seedlings from you Adam will I need a phyto? (I'm in California).  If so, how does one obtain seeds with the phyto?  And also, is the difference between the certificate and a seed lots permit?

Mariano

thanks for inquiring about my plants/seeds!

you don't have to worry about any of that! (AZ is the only state that requires a phyto)

it's all up to me to provide the necessary documentation, so you can receive plants from my nursery in FL.

Seeds, and scions (cuttings) do not need any certification.

only plants, (or plant material with roots) need to be certified! 

and all of my nursery stock is free of restricted nematodes, so I can ship a large variety of plants to CA (all 50 states).

(still waiting to talk to the Agent from the department of Ag, to find out exactly what I need to do, to start shipping....there may be some stamps that I need to make? or labels that I need to get from the Department of Ag?)

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Adam, that's freaking Awesome! Now I have to go read through all 33 pages of the Jaboticaba Anonymous thread to see what varieties are best. I already have a Sabara and a Red Hybrid. Adam, are you going to have any multi grafts small enough to ship?

Simon

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Adam,

Congrats, wonderful news to hear.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.