Author Topic: Anyone know anything about Orange Essence mango?  (Read 1110 times)

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
Anyone know anything about Orange Essence mango?
« on: December 15, 2019, 09:59:55 PM »
I was told it is late season by the owner of this nursery>>>

Tropic Plants
 Yelp (29) · Nursery & Gardening
7910 N University Dr, Tamarac · (954) 724-1955

Btw He has a good selection of mango trees that he prolly wants to clear out. Better see him before Christmas because after Christmas he is closing for 5 months for renovation. Why? Because he sold half his land to the building next to him. They are a medical center and will put in more parking lot. So..... Medical center expanding and plant nursery contracting. Good for him selling at peak real estate bubble.
6 weeks ago I bought an Orange Sherbet mango tree there.

He also has lots of avocados, Lula avocado and other tropicals, concrete lawn ornaments and amazing bonsai. Check out his hours at Yelp because closed Monday and Tuesday iirc.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 10:10:07 PM by zands »

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone know anything about Orange Essence mango?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2019, 01:23:54 AM »
If you're actually curious about the OE mango, search the boards for it's alias 40-33.

It's a mango descended from Kent with Gary as the likely pollen parent. It's growth habit and season are similar to Kent, but it's much sweeter with Gary-like citrus notes toward the skin.

Some people really like it.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 08:18:23 AM »
*Actually* this forum is quiet and needs more action, more posts and more current evaluations and info.  Of course I did not do a forum search for "essence". Why would I? I just might buy orange essence next decade to grow for grafting purposes.

And thanks for your informative words on orange essence mango. What an intriguing name. Perhaps Zill has engaged a branding consultant.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 08:21:02 AM by zands »

corathorpe

• Annapolis, MD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2019, 10:20:00 PM »
This is a new mango variety from Gary Zill’s breeding program. It is said to be a mid to late season mango and will ripen from July to August.

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2019, 08:11:58 AM »
This is a new mango variety from Gary Zill’s breeding program. It is said to be a mid to late season mango and will ripen from July to August.

Great mango. One of my favorites. I have it grafted onto NDM #4 and Keitt.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk