Author Topic: How hardy is nasnaran?  (Read 3539 times)

Ilya11

• France, Paris region, Vaux le Penil, middle of Northern z8
    • View Profile
How hardy is nasnaran?
« on: January 05, 2015, 04:04:11 AM »
I am looking for information on the hardiness of Nasnaran (Citrus amblycarpa, Djerook Leemo).
It is coming from tropical Indonesia, but strangely is listed among cold hardy varieties.
I read on another forum that its 2 year old seedlings has not been damaged at all after -10C (14F). What could be the hardiness of mature trees?

Thank you in advance,
Best regards,
                       Ilya

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
Re: How hardy is nasnaran?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 03:35:04 AM »
I would imagine it's probably very similar in cold hardiness to Citrus taiwanica.

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 08:43:01 PM »
How hardy are any citrus? Even my poncyrus trifoliata trees lost some limbs to the late spring freeze of 14 degrees this March and all their blooms lost before the buds could finish forming. I had apple and peach blossom survive the same weather and lost no branches. Every winter and spring is different and damage to citrus can be unpredictable. The small shoots of my trifoliate hybrids got killed this spring with low of 32 degrees even inside high tunnel with water barrels by trees, then when I had a night of 14 deg F, all my trees except Dunstan were killed almost to the ground, except Rusk which only lost half of its height. Citrus doesn't like freezing temps. My citrus taiwanica is currently coming back with shoots from base of trunk; it used to be 5 ft tall and wide.

eyeckr

• Virginia Beach, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 10:23:10 PM »
Sorry to hear about your experiences with your citrus Citradia. Pushing the citrus belt can be discouraging even when you think you're doing everything right.

I had a nasnaran grafted out that died out from the cold before my tiawanica. I do still have a small potted nasnaran currently with fruit. What has been surprising to me is that my shekwasha mandarin has survived all the winters that's been thrown at it here. A couple of times it got burned back to the graft but it will vigorously come back and fruit. I have it grafted on flying dragon so it probably would be even more vigorous and a much larger tree if I had grafted it on regular trifoliate. It is very similar in size and taste nasnaran. Even hardier than nasnaran, shekwasha and tiawanica is glen citrangedin and dimicelli.

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 08:00:11 PM »
Thanks eyeker. I've learned the hard way that "hardy to 5 degrees " doesn't necessarily mean "lives where it gets to 5 degrees."