Author Topic: Hard to find !Nara melon seeds are available from baker creek heirloom seeds  (Read 5817 times)

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
I thought some of you guys may be interested in !Nara Melon (Acanthosicyos horridus). I have had this on my watch list for a few years now. It finally popped up very recently for sale at Baker Creek heirloom seeds. I tend to dig around on my favorite seed sites to see what they list for the new year.

Here is the link, pricey at $15 for 3 seeds. I am in for 2 orders, hopefully I get great germination. http://www.rareseeds.com/nara-melon-acanthosicyos-horridus-3-se/

I am quite confident these are very rare to find. For those who don't know what !nara melon is here is a link to a pdf; http://jambo.africa.kyoto-u.ac.jp/kiroku/asm_suppl/abstracts/pdf/ASM_s30/6ITO.pdf   there are couple other websites to find info on it. Nara melon is especially interesting for CA and AZ, it may also perform well in FL (no idea really).
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Interesting. I think I remember this photo. I thought Joe Simcox sold his seeds through rarepalmseeds.
It'd make a good fence like kei apple.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Interesting. I think I remember this photo. I thought Joe Simcox sold his seeds through rarepalmseeds.
It'd make a good fence like kei apple.

They are available at rarepalmseeds atm as well. http://rarepalmseeds.com/fruit_trees.shtml
Probably the same source of seeds? Price at rarepalm is about $13 something in USD for 5 seeds (when converted from EURO). No idea how much the cost of shipping would be (probably higher) looks like a better price after everything from Rarepalmseeds.

starling

• Australia
    • View Profile
I wonder if they taste like Kiwano.
Arpeggiated Minor Sevenths: They're pretty, and they'll make women want to have sex with you.

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
Wow. Nasty looking plant. Like Bougainvilla with fruit instead of flowers. Wouldn't want to fall into it.
Shane

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
I wonder if they taste like Kiwano.

I am not sure on the taste, I hear this has more energy value due to the nutritious protein dense seeds. The seeds are supposed to taste good, and flesh may be a mild melon taste?

plantlover13

• View Profile
this is part of their explorer series, yes? i believe they even have frankies red dragonfruit seeds.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
this is part of their explorer series, yes? i believe they even have frankies red dragonfruit seeds.

Yeah they had some interesting stuff from Hawaii such as the tomato and squash selections. Hopefully, I don't screw up the germination on the !Nara melon. Another test is if its going to survive in South FL, good thing I have sandy soil. Maybe try raised mounds, I am sure the !Nara will deflect most pests since the lack of leaves.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
Wow that is one insane looking plant.  Nullzero....I am game to buy seeds...from you once you get it to fruit!

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Wow that is one insane looking plant.  Nullzero....I am game to buy seeds...from you once you get it to fruit!

I would give you some seeds sometime in the future hopefully. And hopefully some Cereus sp. cross seeds as well (in the future).

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery

Yeah they had some interesting stuff from Hawaii such as the tomato and squash selections. Hopefully, I don't screw up the germination on the !Nara melon. Another test is if its going to survive in South FL, good thing I have sandy soil. Maybe try raised mounds, I am sure the !Nara will deflect most pests since the lack of leaves.

Yes that is an appropriate concern. This plant originates from an extremely arid area. The mojave desert or Death Valley might be a more appropriate climate for it. But you never know as some plants have wide adaptation, so it's worth trying out.
Oscar

plantlover13

• View Profile

Yes that is an appropriate concern. This plant originates from an extremely arid area. The mojave desert or Death Valley might be a more appropriate climate for it. But you never know as some plants have wide adaptation, so it's worth trying out.

we'll find a way to justify growing anthing lol   :).

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery

we'll find a way to justify growing anthing lol   :).

Exactly! It's called the art of rationalizing anything you grow and anywhere you try to grow it.  ;)
Oscar

Jabba The Hutt

• Appleton, New York, 6b/Pine Island, Bokeelia, Florida 10b
    • View Profile
Stunning plant and fruit, thank you null!

Jabba The Hutt

• View Profile
I thought some of you guys may be interested in !Nara Melon (Acanthosicyos horridus). I have had this on my watch list for a few years now. It finally popped up very recently for sale at Baker Creek heirloom seeds. I tend to dig around on my favorite seed sites to see what they list for the new year.

Here is the link, pricey at $15 for 3 seeds. I am in for 2 orders, hopefully I get great germination. http://www.rareseeds.com/nara-melon-acanthosicyos-horridus-3-se/

I am quite confident these are very rare to find. For those who don't know what !nara melon is here is a link to a pdf; http://jambo.africa.kyoto-u.ac.jp/kiroku/asm_suppl/abstracts/pdf/ASM_s30/6ITO.pdf   there are couple other websites to find info on it. Nara melon is especially interesting for CA and AZ, it may also perform well in FL (no idea really).

Ever have any luck with this melon?

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
They germinated grew for a few months. Stalled out and root rotted. The roots are not suitable for temps below 60f and any damp conditions more then a day or so. Finding a suitable rootstock and grafting to it would be the most likely way to have success.

Jabba The Hutt

• View Profile
They germinated grew for a few months. Stalled out and root rotted. The roots are not suitable for temps below 60f and any damp conditions more then a day or so. Finding a suitable rootstock and grafting to it would be the most likely way to have success.
Dang, I'm gonna have to give it a try at some point still, this is probably a good canidate to practice my grafting on.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk