Author Topic: Stinking Toe Fresco (Hymenae coubaril)  (Read 3261 times)

red durian

• Malaysia, Sabah, Tawau
    • View Profile
Stinking Toe Fresco (Hymenae coubaril)
« on: December 08, 2012, 07:07:56 AM »
Here is a user-friendly way to eat from this nutritious, legume.   The link has nice photos and a full description, but basically you bash up a ripe pod, boil and stir in water, strain, mix with milk and sugar, chill and then serve with ice.

http://rightsideguide.com/fresco-of-the-year-carao-aka-stinking-toe/

red durian

• Malaysia, Sabah, Tawau
    • View Profile
Re: Stinking Toe Fresco (Hymenae coubaril)
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 07:46:44 AM »
OMG, you are right, I think.  Do you think the recipe would still be good with the real stinking toe?  I have never tasted it.  I see on the www that in Nicaragua and Belize they are calling a legume with a longer, more cylindrical pod, Stinking Toe.  But I got Hymenae coubaril as the botanical name for stinking toe from several sources.  Thanks for pointing this out.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 07:55:50 AM by red durian »

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 02:36:23 PM »
Hi RedDurio,
These two is like olive oil and water...don't think jatobá can replace C. grandis for this recipe. Looks like H.coubaril and C.grandis are called Stinky toe...I wouldn't name them both as stinky toes ;D The name of stinky toe is better suited for Jatobá and Carao for C. grandis :)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

red durian

• Malaysia, Sabah, Tawau
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 10:35:40 PM »
Does C. grandis taste like C. fistula?  I like to snack on a bit of C. fistula every now and then, as it has such a wonderful flavour.  If it does taste and smell similar, then it certainly does not deserve the name "stinking toe". 

In Belize, my native friends called domestic C. fistula "golden showers" and they refered to a terrible tasting wild tree legume as "stinking toe".  Only one of the 25 men in the village could eat stinking toe I was told.  I never saw the tree.

I remember seeing the portly fellow on Bizarre Foods smelling the "stinking toe" pod in Belize and finding it unpleasant.