Author Topic: Yellow Plum tree in Orlando area?  (Read 12408 times)

stormin

• USA, St Cloud FL, 9b
    • View Profile
Yellow Plum tree in Orlando area?
« on: February 23, 2015, 05:27:06 PM »
My spouse wants to know if she can grow a yellow plum tree in the Orlando area? I've researched some and found Gulf Gold Plum, but cannot find where to purchase that can ship them. I know plums need some chill hours, but I don't know if our area gets enough cold days/nights for plum trees.

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
Re: Yellow Plum tree in Orlando area?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 10:17:03 AM »
My spouse wants to know if she can grow a yellow plum tree in the Orlando area? I've researched some and found Gulf Gold Plum, but cannot find where to purchase that can ship them. I know plums need some chill hours, but I don't know if our area gets enough cold days/nights for plum trees.

Gulf gold won't work. You might get a small crop or two but then it will die. It was never patented because if doesn't survive. Some of the other gulf series might do well for you but the others are not yellow. Gulf blaze and gulf rose are good if she isn't set on a yellow.

stormin

• USA, St Cloud FL, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 07:07:47 PM »

Gulf gold won't work. You might get a small crop or two but then it will die. It was never patented because if doesn't survive. Some of the other gulf series might do well for you but the others are not yellow. Gulf blaze and gulf rose are good if she isn't set on a yellow.

So that's why I couldn't find a place that sold Gulf Gold. Unfortunately my wife only wanted a yellow plum tree. :( I feel bad for her as that's the only fruit tree she wanted.

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 12:06:22 AM »
I have seen them for sale at a wholesale nursery in gainesville but I don't think they ship. It's called chestnut hill tree farm. You may be able to call them to see if they supply any nurseries near you.

stormin

• USA, St Cloud FL, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 10:08:00 PM »
I have seen them for sale at a wholesale nursery in gainesville but I don't think they ship. It's called chestnut hill tree farm. You may be able to call them to see if they supply any nurseries near you.

Thanks Jsvand, I saw that company/site too online when I was searching for the plum tree, listing it as pickup only. But if the tree dies in a short while, I don't think I'll bother with it. Thanks again though! :)

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 10:29:24 AM »
See if you can find "Inca Plum" a Luther Burbank old one. It is is yellow and a real god one. It l=might need a 100-200 chill hours.

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 07:46:39 PM »
We easily get that in Orlando. Whats special about a yellow plum vs other tropic plums? I cant get my 3 year old plums to bloom together, maybe adding a new one will bridge the gap. Can the Inca Plum cross pollenate the other tropic plums?

stormin

• USA, St Cloud FL, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 08:22:11 PM »
Thanks Marklee, I'll see where I can find an Inca Plum tree, hopefully a nursery around my area will have one.

Tropheus, I don't think there's anything special about yellow plums, purple ones tastes just as good to me. It's just that my wife really loves them.

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2015, 04:05:05 PM »
We got Gold plum in local Lowe's right now in 5gal.

stormin

• USA, St Cloud FL, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2015, 04:33:28 PM »
We got Gold plum in local Lowe's right now in 5gal.

Thanks Galka, we'll head out to Lowe's on a day it's not raining. Hopefully they'll have it in stock. :)

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2015, 12:30:58 AM »
We easily get that in Orlando. Whats special about a yellow plum vs other tropic plums? I cant get my 3 year old plums to bloom together, maybe adding a new one will bridge the gap. Can the Inca Plum cross pollenate the other tropic plums?
I'm sure the "Inca" will pollinate the others if they both flower together.

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2015, 06:51:00 AM »
Most plums are self fertile, but like so many others trees, they have higher yields if they have another variety close by.

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2015, 06:52:30 AM »
Plums are really recommended to not allow to fruit for 3-4 years.
pfffff.

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2015, 03:19:27 PM »
My only issue with that is I have heard that tropic plums have a fairly short lifespan to start with.

stormin

• USA, St Cloud FL, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2015, 08:44:04 PM »
Went to a couple of Lowe's today. The first one didn't have any plum trees, but had some mango, avocado, lychee, and citrus trees. The second one had citrus trees and a couple of peach trees. We asked if there were any plum trees, and the person said they had a pallet of plum trees come in a few days ago but they sold out fast. :( Hopefully more shipments will come in.

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2015, 04:49:56 PM »
At Lowe's today.

stormin

• USA, St Cloud FL, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2015, 07:33:22 PM »
At Lowe's today.

Wow, lots of plum and peach trees in Ocala. Have you checked the tag to see what the recommended chill hours are for those plum trees? I went to Tractor Supply yesterday and they had a few plum trees, but they were high chill hour varieties.

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2015, 12:50:44 AM »
I think it was 350. Sorry, had too many tags to read. Next time I am at Lowe's I will look again and let you know.

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2015, 11:31:19 AM »
Saw some at Tractor Supply on 50 in east Orlando yesterday if they are there in a couple weeks I might buy one.

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2015, 12:37:29 PM »
By yellow, do you mean yellow skin or yellow flesh?

Because if it is delicious yellow flesh you want, go with the Bruce Plum and plant a Metheley near it for cross pollination.

My Bruce makes a huge crop every year and while the skin is red purple, it is a hybrid between Jap and euro and has amazing yellow flesh.

Grows great here (which is similar to Orlando), and easy to find.  Even Walmart sometimes carries this variety.

Pan Dulce

• Central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2015, 06:03:58 PM »
Hey, I am in Titusville, just east of Orlando, and there is a yellow plum in my Mom's neighborhood. I have seen it fruit heavily for it's size, for at least the last 6 years. The tree is around 5 feet high and planted underneath a few oaks, and a sycamore. I am not up to speed on plums, but I am always impressed by the tree and yield. I will try to get the specs on it soon.

Andre

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2015, 08:31:29 PM »
Bruce is listed as needing 500 chill hours. Not sure if orlando gets close to that but it might be worth a shot. Byron gold might be good to try too. Isons sells them for like $12. I actually just ordered one from them. Really nice plant for only $12. Shipping was like $14 though.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 09:43:18 AM by Jsvand5 »

stormin

• USA, St Cloud FL, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2015, 10:38:16 PM »
Viking Guy,
By yellow I meant yellow skinned. We haven't found any yet, but we did pick up a Scarlet Beauty that is red skinned and yellow fleshed. It requires only 150 chill hours, so it's perfect for our area. We're still on the look out for a yellow skinned one though.

Pan Dulce,
I wonder what yellow plum variety that is in your mom's neighborhood. 5 ft tall after 6 years sounds good to me and fruits heavily for the last 6 years sounds like a winner to me. :)

Jsvand5
Byron Gold plum, we got that at Home Depot, but it needs a pretty high chill hour. So we're not sure if it will fruit here or not, but it was only $20 or $25.

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2015, 02:25:51 AM »
Bruce is listed as needing 500 chill hours. Not sure if orlando gets close to that but it might be worth a shot. Byron gold might be good to try too. Isons sells them for like $12. I actual just ordered one from them. Really nice plant for only $12. Shipping was like $14 though.

I don't think 500 is accurate.

We didn't come close to 500 this time and my Bruces turned solid white.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2015, 03:10:53 AM »
Viking Guy - according to getchill.net, and using the weather station for Green Branch (in Fairhope, Alabama area),  that area got 862 chill hours using the "below 45 model" as compared to a station just West of Orlando that got 287 chill hours.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 03:33:10 AM by bsbullie »
- Rob