Author Topic: All flowers on my starfruit are getting dry  (Read 1849 times)

Suebelle

• San Jose, California
    • View Profile
All flowers on my starfruit are getting dry
« on: July 07, 2018, 07:04:11 PM »
My starfruit looks like really happy tree. It is about 6’ tall, has a lot of new growth, it is more-less protected from wind and it has plenty of flowers trying to grow. But they come out grow maximum 2 cm and they die absolutely dry.
I tried to add fertilizer, then no fertilizer, I played with more/less watering, increased humidity...but no good results, flowers continue to get dry.
I just got tree maybe 5-6 months ago so maybe don’t know the age of the tree.
Any ideas?

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: All flowers on my starfruit are getting dry
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 07:38:20 PM »
I don’t know much about Starfruit but I do recall reading that some varieties do not set fruit as other varieties due to their reproductive organs. Perhaps when your tree is more mature, it will set some fruit. Cross pollination May also help.

Simon

Suebelle

• San Jose, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 01:18:27 PM »
Thank you.
I am planning to get another two varieties next spring. I hope that will help. And of course it will be one year older at that time.

raiders36

• San Jose, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 05:44:03 AM »
What variety do you have that set flowers at this moment. I have a Kari which usually starts to flower in late September or October. It would be nice for Kari to set flowers now as it get the heat for the fruits to grow large. Btw....I had no problem from flowers turning into fruits. The problem is the late season fruit sets.

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 07:57:37 AM »
I have a Kari and Kajang and I took out a Bell. When they were younger they dropped the vast majority of flowers but as they got larger they set more fruit than I or friends can eat. If it bothers you they can be prodded to set more fruit by using a fluffy makeup brush to help the bees out.

It is odd sometimes I get two crops per year so when they flower depends on when the tree feels like it,  no worries there.
Regards,

Gary

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 08:08:26 AM »
In Florida (I cant speak for Cali), you should always get two crops a year.  A summer and a winter...with winter having the better quality fruit.
- Rob

Suebelle

• San Jose, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 05:21:33 PM »
Unfortunately I bought this tree from Fast growing trees without it being closer specified. I just started with tropicals/subtropicals and at that time starfruit/carambola sounded good enough description. So I know it is carambola but nothing more.
It actually looks nice, it is quite big and it is putting flowers in abundance. But none of them survive.
I think the tree might be too young. I guess I will see next year.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2018, 09:11:26 PM »
I would try grafting Kari and maybe another variety or 2 onto your tree. Mix it up, add diversity, and increase your chances.

Getting 2 crops a year from Kari here in SoFl area. Has flowered and fruited since 3.5 feet tall, while in a pot. Now is in ground and produces nicely with no other known carambola around. No special care. Fertilized it once or twice over the past 3 years. It does get plenty of water and full sun for more than 1/2 the day.

Suebelle

• San Jose, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2018, 12:03:08 PM »
Yes, I think my tree might be too young to handle flowers and hopefully next year it will be fine.
Also I think grafting is a great idea but I am an absolute fruit tree novice so grafting is for me like practicing magic. I read about it, watched YouTube videos and plan to buy special knife - but will I be ever able to make a cut? That’s another story.

Thanks to all of you for your thoughts and ideas. I really appreciate.

waxy

• San Jose, CA Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2018, 02:53:18 PM »
Yes, I think my tree might be too young to handle flowers and hopefully next year it will be fine.
Also I think grafting is a great idea but I am an absolute fruit tree novice so grafting is for me like practicing magic. I read about it, watched YouTube videos and plan to buy special knife - but will I be ever able to make a cut? That’s another story.

Thanks to all of you for your thoughts and ideas. I really appreciate.

I had the same problem with mine, it's in a 25g container.
The problem is the dry weather and heat, then cold nights and extremely hot afternoons.
The inconsistent weather affects many of our tropical/sub-tropical trees.
My mangoes were starting to split too :(

They're a bit more sensitive when it comes with dry winds.
Keep it watered 3-4 times a week with good humidity to prevent it.

A second bloom is popping up, sadly the first bloom was intense!
More flowers than there were leaves with small fruit sets.

Suebelle

• San Jose, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2018, 01:35:09 PM »
Thank you waxy,
I try to do my best with this tree. I try to keep it humid also, it has enough water and worm castings. And it looks happy, growing lush and green, lots of new growth. But I will leave flowering on its decision.
It looks all our trees have their own ways which are not always clear to discover.  :))

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk