Author Topic: yellowing leaves  (Read 1985 times)

laidbackdood

• Perth.Western Australia.
    • View Profile
yellowing leaves
« on: July 17, 2014, 01:05:28 AM »
Hi.....I bought an okitsu mandarin....it looked a little pale when i bought with a few yellowing leaves.......i transplanted into a better sized pot and its been dormant since......the leaf yellowing has become a little worse but not serious i feel....
I have kept the mix dry to medium..........i thought it could be an iron or mg deficiency....so applied some epsom salts and gave it an iron tonic....I have not fed it since i transplanted it......
It winter now so i figured the problem could be one of these
1.Too wet
2.lack of mg
3.lack of iron
4,The cold...its winter now and my lemons go a bit yellow too.
5.Lack of nitrogen.....
I am leaning towards no 5 now.......any thoughts please?
p,s I have just transplanted most of my trees ready for spring flush in mid august........so i am really looking forward to seeing how they go.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 01:30:20 AM by laidbackdood »

Chas

• Hungary, Zala, 6b
    • View Profile
Re: yellowing leaves
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 03:47:39 AM »
I believe it's salt injury. I suspect the stock is PT or one of his hybrids which are very sensitive to salts. Dry or yellowing appearing on edges of leaves, like in the photos is one of the most common visible salt injury symptoms. Take care!

laidbackdood

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 03:59:38 AM »
Hi Chas....Thanks for that......I havent been feeding it at all mind...I have had probs with slow release stuff on some of my other trees before......Does it need a good flush with pure water then?...Thanks

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 10:22:29 AM »
If indeed it is a salt problem, and Chas is probably correct,  keeping the tree on the dry side makes the salt situation worse, because the soluble salts become more concentrated in the root zone when there is less water.   The tree is telling us that it needs more watering by the cupping of the leaves.  As far as nutrition, it is water that moves nutrients such as nitrogen potassium, iron and magnesium  throughout the tree.  High soluble salt levels at the root zone blocks the up take of nutrients, thus giving the tree the yellowish look.  As Chas wrote, there is some browning at the tips of the leaves, but it is not at the point of killing the leaf tips.  Give the tree a good flush with clean pure water in the amount of three of  four times the volume of the container.  Then fertilize the tree and you should see the tree starting to recover. If the irrigation water you use for your regular watering has a high soluble salt content, then flush the container at a regular interval, perhaps once every couple months with pure water having a very low salt content. .  -  Good luck and thanks for joining this forum - Millet

laidbackdood

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 04:18:24 AM »
Thanks Guys......will give it a good flush then................I am probably a bit careful with my watering as i killed many trees in Auckland from wet feet but here come summer time.....it will be in the 30's C and sometimes 40C+........Top temp at the moment is 18-20C daytime.......cheers Jon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk