Author Topic: How to identify South East Asian Artocarpus.  (Read 8931 times)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
How to identify South East Asian Artocarpus.
« on: January 13, 2015, 05:12:16 PM »

http://rfcarchives.org.au/Next/Fruits/Jakfruit/ArtocarpusGuide.htm

I hope this link is useable as it is the best at assisting with the identification of the best eating of the Artocarpus.There are around 5 or 6 south east Asian species that are similar but can be distinguished by spine and skin structure of the fruit,fruit size,taste and other skin characteristics.A.hirsutus,anisophyllus,lanceolatus and rigidis are examples that all variable and similar.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: How to identify South East Asian Artocarpus.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 05:22:13 PM »
Mike, thanks for posting that. You've posted it before but good to have a reminder. Whatever happened to David Chandlee? Is he still in El Arish?
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 05:28:26 PM »

Looking at the guide and then the fruit in the first 3 shots which I am eating right now, nothing seems to fit.A sharp but loose spined fruit of this size and shape with a citrus tang (quite delightful), with yellow moist rag and the rest of the characteristics you can see falls between the described species in the descriptions.There is a chempadak taste that reminds me of the leopard chempadak in the final picture.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 05:30:18 PM »
Oscar he is around apparently but keeps to himself and his spread is a shadow of what it was.He had Cat 5 winds through the guts of it in 2006 and 2011.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 08:54:51 PM »

pedalai

pingan

marang

The pingan is making leaves like a pedalai.
Marang had some problems but is doing fine now.

I need keledang to make my collection complete. I have space in full soil for one of them, the rest will be planted in the park or ricefield if they get too large for a big pot.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 08:56:50 PM by bangkok »

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 09:15:09 PM »

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 09:37:56 PM »
BK that does look like a abiu.Keledang in the literature has bumpy jackfruit like skin not hairs,knobs or spines.The one in the picture below is a great tasting fruit on par with keledang and good pedalai and better than the fruit that usually gets called monkey jack (A.rigidus) here which are smaller,more spherical and have marang like skin.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2015, 09:51:31 PM »
An abiu? My abiu's in pot do terrible, the leaves became very pale but this "abiu" does fine though.

I have one abiu in full soil and started grafting the other abiu and ross sapote onto it, it works so far.

Now i have to best markers availlable, i hate it when labels get washed out. I have another "marang" though but it does terrible.

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2015, 10:17:32 PM »
Mike, that looks like A. hirsutus perhaps??

BK, your pingan is in full sun judging by the shade. I think all three of your trees need to spend more time in shade. My Pedalai was the same size like yours and I put them in full sun. They suffered and basically become stunned and no growth for one year. After growing some time in partial shade they resumed fastest growing artocarpus status (Honestly,  breadfruit looks the fastest actually).

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2015, 10:38:44 PM »
Rytis,
A.hirsutus has only small fruit rarely even 10cm.These are larger even though the individual fruit in my hand is not a large one,most are bigger again.Maybe it is a large fruiting A.hisutus but I dont think so.

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2015, 10:51:02 PM »
Mike,

Comments were kind of non-committal in the article for A. dadah.  Have you had any experience with it & if so, what do you think of it?

Thanks,
John

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2015, 11:07:39 PM »
Mike,  maybe Kerala members can have some input on my theory? I've been hearing about different strains fruiting at different times, different shapes, some sweet and and sour, some 100% sweet. No one mentioned difference in size.
The same species in Artoarpus family have so much variability that gets confusing sometimes. Therefore I go only for the best genetics (also practice that in selling seeds). Look at this Philippine marang. It destroys the notion what marang should look like. 

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2015, 11:33:47 PM »
I don't know if I have ever tried a A.dadah before so I cant comment.I have seen big marangs here at 2 to 3kg so they would go close.That one is being held forward a long way so might not be as large as it appears to be at first.Maybe look at previous marang pix I posted for a comparison.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2015, 05:10:53 AM »
That marang is big or the lady is small  ::)

I have other pedalai in shade and they grow less fast, only have their first real adult leaf. This one should grow compact so i keep it in this microkote treated pot in full sun.

This is my other marang, i had one more but it died. Is this sick poor thing a real marang? It is in shade most of the day

RICBITAR

• SAO PAULO - BRASIL
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2015, 05:41:18 AM »

Looking at the guide and then the fruit in the first 3 shots which I am eating right now, nothing seems to fit.A sharp but loose spined fruit of this size and shape with a citrus tang (quite delightful), with yellow moist rag and the rest of the characteristics you can see falls between the described species in the descriptions.There is a chempadak taste that reminds me of the leopard chempadak in the final picture.

I want eat !!! seems very good !!!

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2015, 05:49:38 AM »
Ricardo this fruit is nice to eat having a pleasant flavor.

RICBITAR

• SAO PAULO - BRASIL
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2015, 05:53:01 AM »
Some time ago I posted some pictures of my seedlings of Artocarpus, to know if they are Pedalai or A.  elasticus, Most people said they appeared to be more A. elasticus.,
However comparing the picture posted by bangkok and my, they look very alike
I continue with the doubt :

my seedling picture

bangkok seedling picture

RICBITAR

• SAO PAULO - BRASIL
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2015, 05:56:00 AM »
Ricardo this fruit is nice to eat having a pleasant flavor.

Mike, send a fruit to I eat , please :) look very good

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2015, 07:10:40 AM »
It will be liquid by the time it reaches brazil and not good to drink by then.

RICBITAR

• SAO PAULO - BRASIL
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2015, 07:42:24 AM »
It will be liquid by the time it reaches brazil and not good to drink by then.

If I had time and money now, I would go to Australia now to eat this fruit :)

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2015, 08:36:05 AM »
Some time ago I posted some pictures of my seedlings of Artocarpus, to know if they are Pedalai or A.  elasticus, Most people said they appeared to be more A. elasticus.,

my seedling picture

bangkok seedling picture

Mine is from september 2014, 5 months old. how old is yours?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 08:37:58 AM by bangkok »

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2015, 09:40:11 AM »

This is my other marang, i had one more but it died. Is this sick poor thing a real marang? It is in shade most of the day

Yes, this is real marang. It does look sick. Some seedlings are like children with Down syndrome. Will never reach full potential, despite repeated pampering. You better start off with a new batch, and select the strongest seedlings. Also it is far better to have them under 60% shade cloth than expose them to full Bangkok's sun for a few hours when it hits 30 C.  Plant will suffer despite being in shade most of the day.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2015, 10:00:51 AM »

Yes, this is real marang. It does look sick. Some seedlings are like children with Down syndrome. Will never reach full potential, despite repeated pampering. You better start off with a new batch, and select the strongest seedlings. Also it is far better to have them under 60% shade cloth than expose them to full Bangkok's sun for a few hours when it hits 30 C.  Plant will suffer despite being in shade most of the day.

The abiu "marang" also looked sick but this one survived it. Also the pingan i have some that look the same as this sick marang. I had 10 marangseeds but kept only 3 myself unfortunately  :-[

Well i don't start over with marang, better go for keledang because the smell will give problems here. Also people from bangkok don't like the chempedak because it's smell and i also can't stand it. I just let this sick one in this pot and hopefully it gets over it one day.

The pedalai gets 38 celcius every day normally. Now it's very cold here and in the shade 29 today. I keep it in full sun, have plenty other pedalai in the shade, too many actually so i 'm giving them away allready but nobody wants it haha. They first want to taste the fruit. I will use them for experiments to make cocktailtree's.

But i ate jackfruit pet raa chaa today and boy is that a perfect fruit. I really don't know what could be improved on it, i give it a 10 out of 10 but it has to be fully ripe and still crispy like now and sweet as namdocmai green.

If keledang or pedalai is even better then sure i will replace it for my big pet raa chaa tree and build a electric fence around it with many securitycamera's and 2 Rottweilers connected to the tree  ;D Then also the durian will be replaced but i first have to eat them because i can't believe they are that good.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2015, 10:43:26 AM »

Very interesting looking marang, indeed.  I wonder what the exterior feels like.  This seems to have a more firm look to it than the marang that I have encountered in Puerto Rico. And, without question, this is the largest I have ever seen. 
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

RICBITAR

• SAO PAULO - BRASIL
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2015, 11:05:33 AM »

my seedling picture

bangkok seedling picture

Mine is from september 2014, 5 months old. how old is yours?

When I taked this photo, I think my seedling have one year old