Author Topic: How to identify South East Asian Artocarpus.  (Read 8934 times)

ben mango

• View Profile
Re: How to identify South East Asian Artocarpus.
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2015, 01:29:40 PM »
Mike,  maybe Kerala members can have some input on my theory? I've been hearing about different strains fruiting at different times, different shapes, some sweet and and sour, some 100% sweet. No one mentioned difference in size.
The same species in Artoarpus family have so much variability that gets confusing sometimes. Therefore I go only for the best genetics (also practice that in selling seeds). Look at this Philippine marang. It destroys the notion what marang should look like. 

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2015, 04:35:06 PM »
DL on reflection I believe you may be correct in that the initial species pictured most closely resembles A.hirsutus.I have tried A.hirsutus before and it must have been a small fruiting type with flesh not as sweet.

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2015, 05:16:50 PM »
Mike, thanks for posting that. You've posted it before but good to have a reminder. Whatever happened to David Chandlee? Is he still in El Arish?

David Chandlee is reportedly getting back into the swing of things. He has been putting in tatura trellises for Landsat and the like so he doesn't have such devastation of his orchard in the future. He is the president of the RFA. Here's a bit of info from last year. http://www.rarefruitaustralia.org/site/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Grapevine-2014-June-MID-RES.pdf

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2015, 05:57:52 PM »

Looking at the guide and then the fruit in the first 3 shots which I am eating right now, nothing seems to fit.A sharp but loose spined fruit of this size and shape with a citrus tang (quite delightful), with yellow moist rag and the rest of the characteristics you can see falls between the described species in the descriptions.There is a chempadak taste that reminds me of the leopard chempadak in the final picture.

Hi Mike, you wouldn't happen to have any spare seeds of that one? If it is hirsutus, it should grow well down here. And if I can't get Marang growing then perhaps anjili will be a reasonable substitute?

Erwin

• Qatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2016, 02:09:21 AM »
Some time ago I posted some pictures of my seedlings of Artocarpus, to know if they are Pedalai or A.  elasticus, Most people said they appeared to be more A. elasticus.,
However comparing the picture posted by bangkok and my, they look very alike
I continue with the doubt :

my seedling picture

bangkok seedling picture

Hi RICBITAR! Just want to know if you're finally able to identify your plant. Is it pedalai?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2016, 03:53:24 AM »
The foliage of young trees is so variable across a few species it is hard to be sure yet.I know you want it to be pedalai.

RICBITAR

• SAO PAULO - BRASIL
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2016, 06:29:01 AM »
Some time ago I posted some pictures of my seedlings of Artocarpus, to know if they are Pedalai or A.  elasticus, Most people said they appeared to be more A. elasticus.,

my seedling picture

bangkok seedling picture

Hi RICBITAR! Just want to know if you're finally able to identify your plant. Is it pedalai?

The same seedling in the picture, after a 1,3 years in soil

Erwin

• Qatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2016, 07:08:05 AM »
The tree look great and growing really fast. I planted some same looking trees at my farm in the PI first week of december. I hope they grow as fast as yours tho i still dont know if they are pedalai or tipolo/tipuho trees which are endemic in the Philippines.

DimplesLee

• frustrated permie
    • PHL&AUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2016, 07:23:06 AM »
The tree look great and growing really fast. I planted some same looking trees at my farm in the PI first week of december. I hope they grow as fast as yours tho i still dont know if they are pedalai or tipolo/tipuho trees which are endemic in the Philippines.

This Tipuho you mean? from Batanes? Does yours have the same.round leaf no segments?
https://nightingalecottage.wordpress.com/2015/08/12/year-of-grace-day-188-tipuho-batanes-breadfruit/

Okay at this rate I will end up scrabbling up the boonie from the northernmost Phil island all the way down South - change of plans will need approval from the engineer. Whereabouts in the Phil are you from?
Diggin in dirt and shifting compost - gardeners crossfit regime :)

micah

• Waipio Valley, Hawaii, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2016, 11:06:27 AM »
Aloha
I'll guess
It looks like Pedalai tree to me....thicker fingers on leaf, thicker looking softer leaf with some fuzz, and more dark color than tekalong. 
I have two growing next to each other.

my seedling picture

bangkok seedling picture

nelesedulis

• I want to increase my collection of fruit trees!
    • Carangola, Minas Gerais Brazil
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2016, 12:21:35 PM »
Ricbitar, you watered your pedalai this past year?
I planted my definitive establishment in late October, this year the rains are few.
Its landscape seemed very familiar, banana trees, lychee ...

Beautiful plant congratulations

my seedling picture

bangkok seedling picture

Facebook
Alexandre Neles
Seeking information and new techniques, friendships are always welcome!

Erwin

• Qatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2016, 12:22:58 PM »

This Tipuho you mean? from Batanes? Does yours have the same.round leaf no segments?
https://nightingalecottage.wordpress.com/2015/08/12/year-of-grace-day-188-tipuho-batanes-breadfruit/

Okay at this rate I will end up scrabbling up the boonie from the northernmost Phil island all the way down South - change of plans will need approval from the engineer. Whereabouts in the Phil are you from?

At the moment the leaves of my plants are the same as yours when they are smaller. But the leaves of tipolo/tipuho trees when small looks exactly the same. I just remembered that the leaves of my plants are hairy under the leaves but not so on the surface while the tipuho introduced to me was hairy even on the surface.

RICBITAR

• SAO PAULO - BRASIL
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2016, 04:34:42 PM »
Ricbitar, you watered your pedalai this past year?
I planted my definitive establishment in late October, this year the rains are few.
Its landscape seemed very familiar, banana trees, lychee ...

Beautiful plant congratulations

Thanks
No, I dont watered, the region is classified as " Af " in the Koppen scale,
Sometimes the rain is a problem to work

« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 04:36:35 PM by RICBITAR »

ajeshcool47

• India,Kerala,Ernakulam,Tropical
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/ajeshthoppil.tr
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2016, 12:30:34 AM »
dear all, A.hirstus fruits r not as bigger than marang (as in the pic), flavorwise comparison may not be possible , i ve tasted only hirstus,may be Steven murray from California tasted all,he enjoyed hirstus from Kearal in his last visit to my place...