Author Topic: Pedalai tree?  (Read 8075 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Pedalai tree?
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2015, 03:44:30 PM »
PI is a lot warmer maybe i can get these trees to fruit in 3-4 yrs time if they are pedalai as google claims. Sarawakensis fruit looks like a smaller marang but it is also not very popular, i cannot get enough info on it.
Don't think pedalai will normally fruit nearly that fast even in very warm tropical areas. The trees need to get quite large before they start fruiting.
Oscar

Erwin

• Qatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2015, 03:58:40 PM »
PI is a lot warmer maybe i can get these trees to fruit in 3-4 yrs time if they are pedalai as google claims. Sarawakensis fruit looks like a smaller marang but it is also not very popular, i cannot get enough info on it.
Don't think pedalai will normally fruit nearly that fast even in very warm tropical areas. The trees need to get quite large before they start fruiting.

Yeah i know i'm being too optimistic with this pedalai. maybe i'ĺl just wait for my marang trees to atleast start fruiting by that time. Thanks for the info appreciate it very much.

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2015, 10:09:59 AM »
Thanks durianlover for the pics! The foliage of the young tree looks the same with mine. Can you tell how old the tree before it loses the finger like thing on its leaves? I dont know if you're familiar with artocarpus blancoi it is more common in the PI and have similar leaves with pedalai on young trees and they're commonly known as tipolo tree.

My biggest is 4 years old, but they did have a period when almost no growth happened for a year because I put them in full sun very young. That leads to another topic. Your trees are way too young to be in full sun like that. They need partial shade for a first few years.  Once established they grow extremelly fast. More than 1 foot per month on all limbs when fertilized.  I also developed my own experimental method of keeping them in shape , otherwise they will get too tall too quick . I'll make the thread about it. You need to be merciless with radical cuts.

Erwin

• Qatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2015, 03:32:58 AM »
DL, I initially thought i was planting breadfruit that's why i planted them in the open field right away. But thanks for the advise tho i dont know how to shade them now.

From the sea

• Big Island Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2015, 07:03:05 AM »
Breadfruit is the same way, they like part shade for the first little bit.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2015, 07:43:11 AM »
In really good conditions you might expect fruit in 7 or 8 years and really need to prune heavily to shorten them.The adult leaves can be huge also.It is true that that shelter is needed until they are at least 1.5m tall.

Erwin

• Qatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2015, 08:54:15 AM »
Breadfruit is the same way, they like part shade for the first little bit.

Thanks for the advise. Im still in the lookout for some breadfruit seedlings. I hope i can get them by June so its the start of the rainy season. Weather by that time hopefully is ideal for seedlings.

Erwin

• Qatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2015, 09:07:12 AM »
In really good conditions you might expect fruit in 7 or 8 years and really need to prune heavily to shorten them.The adult leaves can be huge also.It is true that that shelter is needed until they are at least 1.5m tall.

Yes i plan to keep them in manageable height. When i got my farm there are already huge mango trees that climbing them really looks dangerous. I dont want that in the new trees i've planted. I can ask my farm hand for some temporary shade to be installed soon since summer in our place is reaĺly very warm.

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2016, 11:26:48 AM »
DL, I initially thought i was planting breadfruit that's why i planted them in the open field right away. But thanks for the advise tho i dont know how to shade them now.

You can use my method. It's called "improvise to the best of your abilities" :P!
Went to the forest you see behind. Cut 3 trees, sticked them into the ground at triangle shape, and stapled shade net to the sticks.

nelesedulis

• I want to increase my collection of fruit trees!
    • Carangola, Minas Gerais Brazil
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2016, 12:15:38 PM »
I am impressed with the work that fruit lovers have with their trees.
I have learned a lot from you forum, great job!
If I do a cover of these in one of my trees, people call the sanatorium to hospitalize me!
He is crazy !!
They do not understand, such care.
 :D :D :D

You can use my method. It's called "improvise to the best of your abilities" :P!
Went to the forest you see behind. Cut 3 trees, sticked them into the ground at triangle shape, and stapled shade net to the sticks.

Facebook
Alexandre Neles
Seeking information and new techniques, friendships are always welcome!

Erwin

• Qatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2016, 06:01:36 AM »

Thanks DL for the suggestion. Your idea is neat. Since i am in Qatar now i can ask my farmhand to install something like yours with my small trees for shade.