Author Topic: Thai Sweet Tamarinds.  (Read 18796 times)

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Thai Sweet Tamarinds.
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2013, 01:12:09 PM »
Tony (SWrancher) posted pics of his small(er) fruiting tree a long while back I believe was somewhere around 6-8 feet?  See if you have better luck searching through the forum

Anyone have any clue how big tamarind trees need to get before they start fruiting, and whether there's any tricks to help encourage them?  I've got a couple trees in my grow room that are up to "bush" size - they're not super-fast growers (less than half the rate of my acerola, for example), but they've been growing steadily.

I know tamarinds *can* get huge, but how big do they *have* to be?
Tim

Easefirst

• California, zone 10, at the coast
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2015, 08:49:37 PM »
How are your tamarinds doing?

jegpg1

• Punta Gorda, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 26, 2015, 09:25:56 AM »
I got my first "sweet tamarind" from treehouse nursery in Pine Island few years back just over a foot long. It is now 8-9 feet and had flowered a few times with now fruit set, maybe one or two but did not get big enough and fell off. This year, the tree has a few pods probably less than 10 but they are getting bigger than the last. I still have to see if this is a sweet kind, but I doubt it. The pods are short, my clue that this is not a sweet variety but it is too early to say, hope the pods get monger as the tree matures.

I got another tree also labeled sweet at ECHO nursery in Fort Myers, it is less than 4 foot tall and is already flowering, no fruit yet. The two trees are in different houses, many miles apart.

There was come one from Vietnam, I think, selling sweet tamarind seeds on eBay. I almost bought some but I thought, I would wait until I get some fruits from these trees.

I know someone here in Port Charlotte that has an older tree that he maintains low, 10-12 feet, that is reliably fruiting. He claims that it is sweet but I haven't tried it.

Tamarind does well in my area.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 26, 2015, 12:22:32 PM »
I got my first "sweet tamarind" from treehouse nursery in Pine Island few years back just over a foot long. It is now 8-9 feet and had flowered a few times with now fruit set, maybe one or two but did not get big enough and fell off. This year, the tree has a few pods probably less than 10 but they are getting bigger than the last. I still have to see if this is a sweet kind, but I doubt it. The pods are short, my clue that this is not a sweet variety but it is too early to say, hope the pods get monger as the tree matures.

I got another tree also labeled sweet at ECHO nursery in Fort Myers, it is less than 4 foot tall and is already flowering, no fruit yet. The two trees are in different houses, many miles apart.

There was come one from Vietnam, I think, selling sweet tamarind seeds on eBay. I almost bought some but I thought, I would wait until I get some fruits from these trees.

I know someone here in Port Charlotte that has an older tree that he maintains low, 10-12 feet, that is reliably fruiting. He claims that it is sweet but I haven't tried it.

Tamarind does well in my area.

I believe Excalibur has some grafted sweet tamarind in small sizes.  They also have some in larger sizes as well as some seedling sweet tamarind.
- Rob

Erwin

• Qatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 26, 2015, 03:49:09 PM »
I think thai sweet tamarind is getting popular lately. We have also just planted two grafted trees recently. But we have chopped off a few huge native variety a few yrs back. The nursery man informed us that the fruit of native variety is getting expensive since supply is getting less. Lucky me i kept a couple which continously fruited until this day.

Frog Valley Farm

• Messages have been disabled here
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2017, 07:21:19 AM »
🗯
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 08:30:25 PM by Frog Valley Farm »

Cassio

• Brasil, São Paulo, Zone 11b, Köppen: Cfa/Cwa
    • View Profile
    • Frutas em Vasos
« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2017, 09:16:00 AM »
Beautifull!!
As a side note, you can use the leafs too. Do a salad with tomato and garlic. ;)

Lory

• Cebu-Philippines 10° N
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2017, 04:15:59 AM »
sweet tamarind is a GREAT fruit, i can eat it no-stop it's highly addictive!
I bought 2 little grafted seedlings fro mthailand 2 months ago.
They made it all the way to the philippins and now started to grow well in their pots.
I'm planning to tranfer then in open soil next year.
My area is hot and quite dry (about 1100mm rain/year) i hope to get fruits in 4-5 years!
Lorenzo

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2017, 10:58:18 AM »
Out of curiosity, how big do tamarinds have to get before they start fruiting?  I have two here, "shrub sized" at present.
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

DaveT

• Australia,QLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2017, 05:44:56 AM »
Mine has just started flowering after 3 years planted out. I don't know if it will hold fruit but I am happy as it is a seedling and did not expect to see flowers yet.

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 16, 2017, 05:58:20 AM »
But how large is it, physically?  Mine are indoors, in an overcrowded space, so growth will be slower.
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

DaveT

• Australia,QLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 16, 2017, 09:33:40 PM »
The tree itself is about 3 meters tall by 2 meters wide. This time last year I cut 2 meters off the top to make it grow broader and was kinder successful. I was told by some Thai people that I shouldn't trim it as it would delay the flowering but it hasn't really. I was in Thailand a few months ago visiting a family and they had some wild seedlings growing in their yard that were starting to flower and set fruit and they weren't even 3 meters tall. So I would imagine if you can get some grafts they would be quite precocious and remain somewhat stunted as well.

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 17, 2017, 02:18:54 AM »
I have a basically "bonsai" 3 gal tree thats been sitting on my back porch for the last few years. Its very healthy and maybe 18" tall by 3 ft. wide. The trunk base is about an inch...and it has flowered. Obviously no fruits yet...I was thinking about building an enclosed area so it remains "small". Not sure how big they have to be indoors but outdoors 1.5ftx3ft and you can have flowers! Nice flowers from what i remember? Chris
-Chris

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 17, 2017, 02:50:37 AM »
Oh wow, that's about the size of my larger one.  Maybe I should put it in an optimal illumination spot and see if mine decides to flower too  ;)

Kada

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
    • Kada's Garden
« Reply #64 on: December 20, 2017, 09:30:19 PM »
Great pics.  I love tamarind, often use it as a mild wind break.  For us on SW side of Taiwan, had fungus problems.  Years ago dealing with wood it would also show lots of fungal growth.  Now on the east side much drier area we see no such signs.  Usually 2 meters plus we see flowering starting.