Author Topic: Thornless Blackberry - Rubus ulmifolius in the tropics  (Read 1903 times)

Lory

• Cebu-Philippines 10° N
    • View Profile
Thornless Blackberry - Rubus ulmifolius in the tropics
« on: November 04, 2016, 09:49:56 AM »
I'm seriously thinking to give it a try but i'm unsure if here, at 10°N from the equator, i've any possibility of success.
Anyone has experience of growing it in tropics?
Lorenzo

Caesar

• PR
    • View Profile
Re: Thornless Blackberry - Rubus ulmifolius in the tropics
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2016, 09:24:06 PM »
I've had success with Temperate Rubus species (Caroline and Black Hawk Raspberries, and a thornless trailing Blackberry), as well as tropical ones (R. probus). I don't think you should have any trouble with R. ulmifolius. That said, all of mine were pre-grown plants, and I've had very bad luck with seeds from several species (tropical and temperate). I've ordered R. ulmifolius twice from Vitor, and failed the first time (which I chalk up to some unknown requirement, not their quality). I'm thinking of stratifying them directly in the pot, in the fridge, for my second attempt (despite their tropical origins); I have just enough seeds to hedge my bets. As long as I'm here, I'll ask anyone reading: Should I stratify for one month or three?

Lory

• Cebu-Philippines 10° N
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 08:00:39 AM »
Thanks for your reply Caesar your experience is comforting me.
I could have small plants available from Italy  so no troubles with seeds.
Are you based in Puerto Rico? Your plants fruited well at your latitude?
Here at my latitude temperatures are definitly higher than there I hope i will have luck!
Lorenzo

Caesar

• PR
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2016, 05:24:01 PM »
Glad to be of service.

Yep, Puerto Rico. My house is in a suburban part of the foothills. Dry heat for part of the year, thoroughly wet heat in other parts. My plants have been through it all and have been very vigorous in their survival. But I must admit, I lack resources (no job yet, small yard with my parents). Trees aren't much of a problem for me, but herbaceous plants struggle in the ground, so I keep them in pots and they're basically surviving. Healthy enough, but not productive in the long term (I don't fertilize, and barely re-pot). That said...

... my Blackberry and Black Raspberries haven't fruited (the first has been thoroughly neglected in a small pot, the latter requires some proactive care and fruits in its second year - in my neglect it grows vigorously but has yet to fruit and the older wood dies off). During its first year (with fertile soil in a new big pot) my Caroline Raspberry seemed productive enough. I feel it would've been very satisfactory in a direct soil planting with compost, manure and a trellis (essentially, proper care; also applicable to Black Hawk). R. probus (a feral specimen given to me from the mountains) is the only one I have in-ground, and is my best success story. Fully neglected, it failed to fruit for a long time in its shady spot, but as soon as I cleared some of the surrounding trees to let in some light, the flowers came. It fruited in quantity for several months straight (tasty and slightly milder than Caroline, but stronger than R. rosifolius), and the clump of plants has grown bigger from the original plant. Seeing as most of these (including R. ulmifolius) are diploid, I'm starting my hybrid experiments with them; but I'm taking a break for now (and except for Caroline, they're not flowering right now anyway).

Sam

• USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 11:41:39 AM »
Caesar,

Have you ever tried growing Rubus Niveus from seed before? I've never been successful.

Do you think it would need cold stratifying? Although any text I've read on it suggests it is a truly tropical raspberry.....

Regards,
Sam

Caesar

• PR
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 02:23:33 PM »
Hi Sam.

Tried it once, and failed. Also tried the (alleged) Giant Raspberry of Jilin, with stratification, and also failed. From what I understand, I don't think any of the truly Tropical Rubus require stratification, but I don't think it would hurt them either, and some may even benefit from it. I don't know about it for sure, but I'm giving it a try on any further attempts to see if I can get better results. Splitting the seed supply in half, and stratifying one of the halves. Hedging my bets through trial and error.

Lory

• Cebu-Philippines 10° N
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2016, 09:38:51 AM »
Caesar,

Have you ever tried growing Rubus Niveus from seed before? I've never been successful.

Do you think it would need cold stratifying? Although any text I've read on it suggests it is a truly tropical raspberry.....

Regards,
Sam

Thanks again  :)
Lorenzo