Author Topic: Is this Biriba?  (Read 2950 times)

Erwin

• Qatar
    • View Profile
Is this Biriba?
« on: January 14, 2017, 01:03:03 AM »

Please help me id this great tasting fruit. The taste had a hint of acidity but very sweet. Unfortunately i do not have a pic of the tree but it does look atemoya.

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
Re: Is this Biriba?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 04:15:51 AM »
Yes, there are some variations within this species in the look of the fruit.
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

TREESNMORE

• USA Palm City FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 06:44:00 AM »
Do you sell the seed . I would buy some
Mike

Erwin

• Qatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 11:21:04 AM »
Thanks Soren. I only came to know about biriba through google.

Mike im trying to germinate the seeds because the taste of the fruit is really amazing.

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 07:17:18 PM »
So Cool Erwin, I have 5 plants, 2 or 3 years old, and hope to have fruits soon! I love chirimoya and atemoya

Erwin

• Qatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 08:15:59 PM »
Wow you're close to harvesting ur own fruit soon then Huertas. I was not a fan of atemoya before due to difficulty in pollination but when i tasted it all the hard works will be worth it.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 08:26:34 PM »
Everyone's tastes vary however for me, when I  first tasted sugar apple and loved it.  Then I tasted different atemoyas and really like them and thought sugar apples are just average and no big deal, even the raved about Big Red from Noel's tree.  Then I  had a number of ilamas and said this is top tier and better than both atemoya and sugar apples.   Now that I have been eating top quality and top tier Cherimoyas from California, other than ilamas which I still believe are equally as good as many top Cherimoyas,  sugar apples and most atemoyas are average. 

Oh, and to me, all Rollinia I have had (I have not had any from Puerto Rico, Hawaii or anywhere else other than what has been grown in Florida) have been subpar.  I have never had one that was more than a little sweet and taste was nothing that wanted to make me eat the whole fruit.

That being said, the fruit in the original post does not look like the Rollinia I have tasted so maybe its totally different.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 08:28:24 PM by bsbullie »
- Rob

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2017, 09:22:36 PM »
Biriba

Erwin

• Qatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2017, 09:08:38 PM »
Bsbullie, thanks for your input. I also wanted to try planting cherimoya but it's difficult to find seedlings here in the PH. Also, from what i've read online is that Cherimoya needs a cold climate to thrive.  I didnt knw about ilama i'll look it up maybe i can grow them here.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2017, 11:05:25 PM »
Biriba is right above a.reticulata as the worse anona except for Hunucma amarilla here is the mother tree in hunucma Yucatán

Doug

• Turrialba Costa Rica
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2017, 07:28:28 AM »
Biriba is right above a.reticulata as the worse anona except for Hunucma amarilla here is the mother tree in hunucma Yucatán

Well, I suppose this proves that taste, as well as beauty, is in the mind of the beholder. My durian-loving friend proves the adage as well. I have four biriba trees here in my farm, and I cherish every single fruit I can get my mouth on. To me they are simply wonderful....the epitome of sweet tropical flavor and uniqueness. Super easy to grow and very productive trees.