Author Topic: Experience ordering from FloridaHillNursery?  (Read 2083 times)

561MangoFanatic

• Loxahatchee, FL
    • View Profile
Experience ordering from FloridaHillNursery?
« on: August 08, 2017, 03:02:50 PM »
Has anyone ordered banana cultures from FloridaHillNursery? They seem to be the only place that I can find the 3 varieties of bananas I'm looking for & thought I read in a similar post about their plants not being properly labeled from someone else's experience?? Tried going through going-bananas.com but they didn't have the varieties- Dwarf Namwah, Blue Java/Ice Cream, & Praying Hands.. anyone growing them & have pups? (Looked on Craigslist with no luck) any help is appreciated  ;D😁
Sergio

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Experience ordering from FloridaHillNursery?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 09:00:26 PM »
I believe Excalibur has Praying Hands and Ice Cream.  Anogher option is getting them from Going Bananas.
- Rob

demingcr

• USA, Fort Myers, FL 33901 Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 09:29:12 PM »
i ordered figs and blueberry from them before. Have no idea if they were the variety they claimed as i never successfully fruited them beyond  a small handful of berries and figs before i got rid of them prior to a move, but they came promptly and were well packaged. Be aware they are very small plants, 1-2 inches in height with corresponding rootball.
- Colin

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 09:31:30 PM »
i ordered figs and blueberry from them before. Have no idea if they were the variety they claimed as i never successfully fruited them beyond  a small handful of berries and figs before i got rid of them prior to a move, but they came promptly and were well packaged. Be aware they are very small plants, 1-2 inches in height with corresponding rootball.

1 - 2 inches ?
- Rob

demingcr

• USA, Fort Myers, FL 33901 Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 09:34:20 PM »
yes, they are tiny. Probably why they are typically $5-6 a plant. I think it's tissue culture or claimed to be.

to be clear, i'm talking about the plants when you order them, not the height of the mature plants!
- Colin

Orly

• PALM BEACH, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 10:35:43 PM »
I've ordered from Green Earth Co.  They have a pretty good number of banana varieties I think.  I got three nanas from them and they are doing great.  Can't say if they are true to type yet since they've yet to fruit but they are close.

http://www.greenhousebusiness.com/bananaplants.html

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 08:31:33 AM »
+1 for Going Bananas. A great selection of nanner plants, and good size. Picked up a Sweet Heart (FHIA 03) from him. Very happy with it.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2017, 10:03:31 AM »
Probably will get Black Mission and LSU from them. Anyone have success in south Florida with either one?

I have some run of the mill Ischia and Brown Turkey growing. They get watery and do not get much sweet like they would in a dry climate. I have fruits on it now.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2017, 10:38:18 AM »
Probably will get Black Mission and LSU from them. Anyone have success in south Florida with either one?

I have some run of the mill Ischia and Brown Turkey growing. They get watery and do not get much sweet like they would in a dry climate. I have fruits on it now.

Both will fruit here but much better varieties available locally.
- Rob

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2017, 10:59:11 AM »

Not sure how they will do in Florida, but I enjoy the figs from my Violette de Bordeaux and Lattarrula

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk