Author Topic: Orange Sherbert trees are going on sale at Zill this week  (Read 14918 times)

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
Orange Sherbert trees are going on sale at Zill this week
« on: June 19, 2018, 11:39:10 PM »
It’s like a dream comes true!!
Zill has them in 3 gallon size only but they are only about 12-24 inches tall and very delicate
at the grafted intersection.
They only will sell them to groves because they don’t want anyone else reproducing them.
And Zill deserves that respect 100 million percent.
Now we’ll get to see if Orange Sherbert really is going to be the unchallenged King of the
United States mango family!!
This is so many years in the making it’s just sooo fabulous.

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Orange Sherbert trees are going on sale at Zill this week
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 11:53:13 PM »
Whats the growth rate of OS? Similar to PPK and LZ?

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 03:09:45 AM »
They are more of 1 gallon sizes.  ;D

PurpleAlligator

• USA, Miami, FL, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 05:43:02 AM »
Will Excalibur have them for sale?

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 08:36:02 AM »
We got a box of Orange Sherbet and another of coconut cream as well as several other types from Doc Campbell

Coconut cream was the clear winner by an 8 to 2 count at our taste testing party

One person that  was allergic to coconut and myself went with the OS but at one point I had thirty types of citrus and like the citrus flavored mango the best

To me it’s the best tasting of the citrus flavored mango
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 04:02:01 PM by WGphil »

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 08:43:14 AM »
Great, I was there Monday and not for sale yet.
Of course that would happen

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 11:01:57 AM »
From what I've seen, OS is probably more vigorous than LZ (and LZ seems to be more vigorous than PPK).

Jeff  :-)

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2018, 12:39:48 PM »
1.  Is it better than Orange Essense, PPK & LZ aka the GOAT according to some fans.

2.  Are they likely to have any other common problems?  i.e - low yield, disease, uneven ripening, jelly seed, etc.

Blessed be the man who plants a tree knowing he will never live to enjoy it's fruit or shade.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2018, 01:17:41 PM »
It's generally a top-tier mango, like PPK, LZ, Sweet Tart, OE, etc. But, I slightly prefer LZ over OS.

OS does get jelly seed, and it's been rather prone to powdery mildew infection. Mine has also had a tendency to grow more than fruit -- not sure if this is just an issue with my tree or whether that's common to the cultivar.

1.  Is it better than Orange Essense, PPK & LZ aka the GOAT according to some fans.

2.  Are they likely to have any other common problems?  i.e - low yield, disease, uneven ripening, jelly seed, etc.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2018, 02:01:02 PM »
It's generally a top-tier mango, like PPK, LZ, Sweet Tart, OE, etc. But, I slightly prefer LZ over OS.

OS does get jelly seed, and it's been rather prone to powdery mildew infection. Mine has also had a tendency to grow more than fruit -- not sure if this is just an issue with my tree or whether that's common to the cultivar.

Cookie Monster, yours OS is a seedling of OS correct? wondering if there are any variation/disease resistance, usually seedlings are better in disease resistance terms.

MangoCountry

• Southeast Florida 10a/b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2018, 02:08:06 PM »
I purchased some Orange Sherbet and some Lemon Zest from Mango Men. The Lemon Zest was overwhelmingly superior to the Orange Sherbet according to everyone I let sample both fruit. 

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2018, 02:49:54 PM »
OS is top tier.  Makes #5 on my list.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2018, 02:56:28 PM »
Yes, I actually have 2 clonal seedlings which have both been in production for a few years. I haven't noted any variation between the two nor between mine and Walter's tree. I selected those two from a group of several dozen seeds, based on my knowledge of the tree on Walter's property -- leaf shape, growth habit, and sap smell.

I think LZ is the superior selection, but I do have a "collect them all" approach to anything in that flavor line.

Cookie Monster, yours OS is a seedling of OS correct? wondering if there are any variation/disease resistance, usually seedlings are better in disease resistance terms.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2018, 07:03:04 PM »
Yes, I actually have 2 clonal seedlings which have both been in production for a few years. I haven't noted any variation between the two nor between mine and Walter's tree. I selected those two from a group of several dozen seeds, based on my knowledge of the tree on Walter's property -- leaf shape, growth habit, and sap smell.

I think LZ is the superior selection, but I do have a "collect them all" approach to anything in that flavor line.

Travelling over the last 18 years to several tropical countries with limited mango selections, so so to me but loved by locals who know nothing else, gives better perspective on the work, magic, Gary Zill has performed. Floridians in general, never mind the world, will likely not come to appreciate his efforts in his lifetime.  The relative few here enjoy his treasures in obscurity.  My thinking on "what's next" aside from others replicating this feat with differing genetics is finding off types with Zill seedlings.

New flavour profiles, production, disease resistance, growth habits...all those heterozygous genes await exploration.

Did you work with any that did not match the original tree?

Where exceptional flavour meets with disease problems (for some), risk for others, seedlings also offer a chance at a better fruit.  I have a project that will include finding apparent off types and "reverse grafting" budwood onto mature trees to accelerate findings...Lemon Zest remains #1...for now.

Gary's amazing results yet relative obscurity will keep anyone finding the next big thing, sober.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 07:05:17 PM by Future »

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2018, 08:09:27 PM »
I also heard from my wholesale source that he released butter cream. How does this mango hold up against the big boys? Compared to OS? I had him grab one of each for me

fisherking73

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2018, 11:48:39 AM »
From what I've seen, OS is probably more vigorous than LZ (and LZ seems to be more vigorous than PPK).

Guess will let my PPK be then lol has had poor production last 2 years though. Probably my fault.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2018, 01:05:28 PM »
Fertilizer helps with production.

Guess will let my PPK be then lol has had poor production last 2 years though. Probably my fault.

fisherking73

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2018, 01:22:10 PM »
Yeah been trying to get to Truly tropical to get some of the zero nitrogen fert to start per our pm. But their hours make it very difficult. 

FamilyJ

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2018, 01:59:53 PM »
It’s like a dream comes true!!
Zill has them in 3 gallon size only but they are only about 12-24 inches tall and very delicate
at the grafted intersection.
They only will sell them to groves because they don’t want anyone else reproducing them.
And Zill deserves that respect 100 million percent.
Now we’ll get to see if Orange Sherbert really is going to be the unchallenged King of the
United States mango family!!
This is so many years in the making it’s just sooo fabulous.
What is Zills contact info or address?

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2018, 02:33:47 PM »
Also get some of the slow release 8-2-12 with minors. Many other fruit trees do very poorly without nitrogen. No nitrogen for mangos, but give nitrogen to pretty much everything else.

And, if you have a mango tree that's struggling to grow (as NDM #4 can do), N is a good addition.

Yeah been trying to get to Truly tropical to get some of the zero nitrogen fert to start per our pm. But their hours make it very difficult.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2018, 09:36:37 AM »
You must be in the trade to qualify as a wholesale buyer: owner of a commercial grove; owner of a commercial, licensed nursery; plant society plant sale chairperson placing very large order; or owner of a licensed landscape business.  Otherwise don't bother them.
Har

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2018, 09:49:07 AM »
You must be in the trade to qualify as a wholesale buyer: owner of a commercial grove; owner of a commercial, licensed nursery; plant society plant sale chairperson placing very large order; or owner of a licensed landscape business.  Otherwise don't bother them.

Yep, nothing pisses off such a firm (who have clearly stated what their consumer base is) than to take calls from anxious small time gardeners.

I have a farm name registered with the State.  Here in Texas we also have a registration called the "Texas Agricultural or Timber Registration".  Would think Florida has the same drill.

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2018, 04:31:08 PM »
I have to go back & read all of your posts. However, i have no time to search it.

WHat are your top 5?

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2018, 06:45:31 PM »
I have to go back & read all of your posts. However, i have no time to search it.

WHat are your top 5?

Order can change in any given season but generally
LZ
PPK
ST
Cotton Candy
OS

As for my top 50 they are....

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile