Author Topic: Brutal heatwave 7/06/18 in Socal  (Read 22556 times)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Brutal heatwave 7/06/18 in Socal
« Reply #100 on: July 26, 2018, 03:46:24 PM »
They still taste pretty good even though they didn’t fully sweeten up. I love the fiber they bring into my diet. The DF wine sounds pretty interesting.

Simon

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 26, 2018, 04:14:59 PM »
They still taste pretty good even though they didn’t fully sweeten up. I love the fiber they bring into my diet. The DF wine sounds pretty interesting.

Simon

Simon
You should make agua fresca from the pitaya
Very popular drink in Yucatán

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 26, 2018, 05:01:54 PM »
That sounds refreshing, especially in this heatwave Frank. I’ve been juicing a lot of watermelon with a bit of cucumber and lemon/lime juice squeezed in and it’s been my go to drink I make for my daughters. I bet an addition of DF will add some extra nutrients and a tiny bit of flavor.

Simon

shinzo

• High Density Urban Cultivator
    • Tunis (Tunisia) - 10 b
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 26, 2018, 05:36:52 PM »
Survived 111 yesterday and 110 today. fingers crossed for tomorrow. I have been watering twice a day now to ensure there is plenty of moisture for uptake.
Do you soak the trees each time or just light watering?

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 26, 2018, 05:50:18 PM »
One thing to consider in a heatwave is how you water. If you have your orchard set up on a drip system, it may be better to hand water to saturate the entire root zone including the mulch layer. By saturating the entire root zone, you will provide water to all the feeder roots and also increase the humidity around the tree. I’ve found that this type of watering prior to extreme heat prevents some sunburn that may have otherwise occurred. This is especially noticeable on Cherimoya and Lychees.

I normally water my plants with my drip system but prior to a heatwave, I will handwater deeply.

Simon

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #105 on: July 26, 2018, 06:05:28 PM »
Survived 111 yesterday and 110 today. fingers crossed for tomorrow. I have been watering twice a day now to ensure there is plenty of moisture for uptake.
Do you soak the trees each time or just light watering?

I run my rachio cycle that splits my watering time into 3 to 4 intervals resulting in deep soaking. I also sprinkled all leaves when sun was about to set to reintroduce instant moisture back into the leaves. not sure if its good or bad.

my watering is a hybrid of surface drip sprays and actual sprinklers.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 26, 2018, 06:09:14 PM »
That sounds refreshing, especially in this heatwave Frank. I’ve been juicing a lot of watermelon with a bit of cucumber and lemon/lime juice squeezed in and it’s been my go to drink I make for my daughters. I bet an addition of DF will add some extra nutrients and a tiny bit of flavor.

Simon

Get a greenpower juicer. I always find good used deals on ebay. I have one used (ebay) bought in 2005 and still going strong. Previous to that I had one last ten years that was bought 1995. In addition to my current greenpower I have one bought for back up in case the primary one dies. Bought that one cheap on ebay in the winter ($125 or so) when people are not into juicing....too cold in northern states.

Don't juice watermelon! Eat the red flesh  and juice the rind. As you juice the rind add in a whole lime cut into quarters. Juice some ginger chunks too. So the outcome is:
juicing w a greenpower>>>
watermelon rind
lime (lemon is ok or other citrus)
ginger root
apple is cool too

I’ve been juicing a lot of watermelon with a bit of cucumber
A watermelon is a giant cucumber more or less and a lot less expensive. I must cut up some watermelon rind sometime and add to a salad and see how it tastes. Peeling off the watermelon skin of course. Last week at Aldi's seedless watermelons going for $2.50/////Yikes I got two in my refrigerator.  (no I am not a vegan)

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 06:17:02 PM by zands »

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 26, 2018, 06:23:00 PM »
Thanks for your the tip Zands, I’ve got an old Jack Lalanne juicer I use for speed juicing and I have an Omega NC900 slow juicer for juicing greens like wheatgrass, spinach and almost anything else that can benefit from the reduced heat and oxidation of a slow auger type juicer.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UrLU_ZXuVSA&t=624s

Simon

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 26, 2018, 06:34:02 PM »
Thanks for your the tip Zands, I’ve got an old Jack Lalanne juicer I use for speed juicing and I have an Omega NC900 slow juicer for juicing greens like wheatgrass, spinach and almost anything else that can benefit from the reduced heat and oxidation of a slow auger type juicer.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UrLU_ZXuVSA&t=624s

Simon

Please notice in yr YT video this is the same John who has gone around America and showing off peoples gardens and groves.  I have an omega juicer as a back up to my backup greenpower. Omega is slow RPM like greenpower.  It is less efficient (maybe 5-7%) to greenpower with its twin augers as far as getting the juice out

I am fairly certain (iirc) that  for wheat grass the single auger Omega does it better than greenpower. Less foaming

Here is John at Bender's Grove in Davie / SW Ranches Florida
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pel0PJIBMfI

John has a business selling every kind of juicer.   http://discountjuicers.com/     He sells the good, the bad and the ugly. He also sells the superior ones too.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 08:22:08 PM by zands »

WaterFowler

• Coachella Valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 26, 2018, 07:34:42 PM »
One thing to consider in a heatwave is how you water. If you have your orchard set up on a drip system, it may be better to hand water to saturate the entire root zone including the mulch layer. By saturating the entire root zone, you will provide water to all the feeder roots and also increase the humidity around the tree. I’ve found that this type of watering prior to extreme heat prevents some sunburn that may have otherwise occurred. This is especially noticeable on Cherimoya and Lychees.

I normally water my plants with my drip system but prior to a heatwave, I will handwater deeply.

Simon

I don't have lychees and all my anonnas have stayed the same height (1-4') for the last 3 years because of our extreme temps, but I have noticed the same thing. I try and hose water deeply at least every other day during heatwaves and it definitely makes a difference regarding sunburn. Without lots of water, the leaves get droopy, and the sun cooks them off in short order when they are in that state. In years past I just increased the amount of irrigation time when it was hot, but with much less satisfactory results vs hose watering.

Thankfully temps return back to normal after this weekend.

Lionking

• Covina, Ca. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 26, 2018, 07:34:58 PM »
The first heat wave was brutal.  This one didn’t do as much damage but still did a number on my grafts that were still holding on.  Like Frank,  I also lost my multi branch graft as well as one mango tree with Lemon Meringue graft has bitten the dust. 
On another note,  my lemon zest is pushing new growth as well as my Pineapple pleasure and my new Orange Sherbet trees are liking the heat.   I have kept the 2 OS trees indoors by the slider glass door for heat and ventilation.  They are looking real nice.
One question I do have.... at my house, my yard gets the early sun on the west side of my property with shade on the east side where I have been keeping my potted trees. Towards the evening,  the sun is beaming the east side of my yard where my trees are while the west side is now getting shade.  My question is...should I move my plants to get the early sun on the west side instead of keeping them in the early shade?  I feel that the later heat/sun that is hitting the trees is more intense .
Any thoughts or advice is appreciated.  Am I wrong in thinking that way?  Does the afternoon heat do better for the trees?

Lionking

• Covina, Ca. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 26, 2018, 07:36:23 PM »
Also lost my Lychee 😩😩

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 26, 2018, 07:56:02 PM »
108 temps right now here.

I havent watered my trees for 3 days now unmulched.  8)

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 26, 2018, 08:20:36 PM »
The first heat wave was brutal.  This one didn’t do as much damage but still did a number on my grafts that were still holding on.  Like Frank,  I also lost my multi branch graft as well as one mango tree with Lemon Meringue graft has bitten the dust. 
On another note,  my lemon zest is pushing new growth as well as my Pineapple pleasure and my new Orange Sherbet trees are liking the heat.   I have kept the 2 OS trees indoors by the slider glass door for heat and ventilation.  They are looking real nice.
One question I do have.... at my house, my yard gets the early sun on the west side of my property with shade on the east side where I have been keeping my potted trees. Towards the evening,  the sun is beaming the east side of my yard where my trees are while the west side is now getting shade.  My question is...should I move my plants to get the early sun on the west side instead of keeping them in the early shade?  I feel that the later heat/sun that is hitting the trees is more intense .
Any thoughts or advice is appreciated.  Am I wrong in thinking that way?  Does the afternoon heat do better for the trees?

You asked for advice so here it goes from 3000 miles away.
Fruit trees are 5-10-15-20 years projects.
So do the utmost to shield your fruit trees from what is passing and temporary and just this year.

SHEILD them via extra hose watering and shading them and you will be rewarded in future years as they thrive.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 08:23:27 PM by zands »

Lionking

• Covina, Ca. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 26, 2018, 08:39:18 PM »

You asked for advice so here it goes from 3000 miles away.
Fruit trees are 5-10-15-20 years projects.
So do the utmost to shield your fruit trees from what is passing and temporary and just this year.

SHEILD them via extra hose watering and shading them and you will be rewarded in future years as they thrive.

Thanks zands

Just looked at the forecast for the next 10 days and it’s not going to be cooling off anytime soon.
I will be shielding come tomorrow. 
Although the forecast says it won’t be in the triple digits for the next 10 days,  it will still be quite warm.
We will be cooling down to 95 on Saturday.  All the other days on the forecast show 98 and 99 degrees.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #115 on: July 26, 2018, 09:31:51 PM »
Lionking, I would put them into ground once they stay in your pot for 6 weeks or so, carefully put one in ground and then next after first makes it.
Mid 90's in corona is perfect weather. What is your forecast?

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 26, 2018, 10:29:35 PM »
93f 50% humidity very muggy here.

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 26, 2018, 10:37:20 PM »

But this is perfect weather for mango vegetative growth. 
Not only an emergence of young leaves....but young grasshoppers too!
Warren

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 26, 2018, 10:42:15 PM »

But this is perfect weather for mango vegetative growth. 
Not only an emergence of young leaves....but young grasshoppers too!

Yes I’m glad the 100’s are over for now....great grafting temps too

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 26, 2018, 11:35:02 PM »
Lionking,

the sun rise on East and fall on West. The side that get morning sun is the East side.

wslau

• View Profile
« Reply #120 on: July 26, 2018, 11:43:46 PM »
Lionking,

the sun rise on East and fall on West. The side that get morning sun is the East side.

Lionking means that he has a taller block wall on the west and east sides of his property.  So his post is a correct statement.  I have a similar situation as to what he described.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 11:46:37 PM by wslau »
Warren

Lionking

• Covina, Ca. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 27, 2018, 12:23:41 AM »
Lionking, I would put them into ground once they stay in your pot for 6 weeks or so, carefully put one in ground and then next after first makes it.
Mid 90's in corona is perfect weather. What is your forecast?

Hey Behl,

Thanks for the info. 
The forecast for my areas next 10 days is ... 98 tomorrow, 95 Saturday, then 98 and 99 the next 8 days.

Lionking

• Covina, Ca. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 27, 2018, 12:40:11 AM »
Lionking,

Lionking means that he has a taller block wall on the west and east sides of his property.  So his post is a correct statement.  I have a similar situation as to what he described.

Yes Warren,  you are absolutely correct. 
My thought is that as the sun rises,  it would shine on my trees in the early morning heating them up gradually as the day goes by.  Where as in the mid to late afternoon when sun is at full heat and shining on the east side of my property, it is scorching the trees till it goes down.
The taller block wall on the west side will be providing the shade and some relief to the trees near it towards the end of the day.
So I am curious if that is a good idea or should I leave them where they are at on the east side?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 03:44:10 PM by Lionking »

wslau

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 27, 2018, 12:49:55 AM »
Lionking,

My thought is that as the sun rises,  it would shine on my trees in the early morning heating them up gradually as the day goes by.  Where as in the mid to late afternoon when sun is at full heat,  it is scorching the trees till goes down.
The taller block wall on the west side will be providing the shade and some relief to the trees near it towards the end of the day.
So I am curious if that is a good idea or should I leave them where they are at on the east side?

Lionking....it's okay to leave  them on the east side block wall.  I have 7 trees on the east side wall and 3 trees on the west side wall.  They all seem to be doing equally well.  Of course the trees along the north side wall get the most sun...but also got scorched the most too.
Warren

Lionking

• Covina, Ca. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 27, 2018, 12:58:48 AM »
Lionking,

My thought is that as the sun rises,  it would shine on my trees in the early morning heating them up gradually as the day goes by.  Where as in the mid to late afternoon when sun is at full heat,  it is scorching the trees till goes down.

Lionking....it's okay to leave  them on the east side block wall.  I have 7 trees on the east side wall and 3 trees on the west side wall.  They all seem to be doing equally well.  Of course the trees along the north side wall get the most sun...but also got scorched the most too.

Thanks Warren,  that will save me from some back pain.
After having some losses,  I was beginning to overthink things I guess...lol
Yes I’m willing to do anything to keep from losing my mango trees and any future grafts.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk